Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Sophia (4 yrs old now) from a Poodle Rescue when she was 6 mos. She is the joy of our life!... such a loving dog! She sleeps with us and goes EVERYWHERE with us. When my wife and Sophia get up in the morning and go downstairs and I stay in bed, Sophia eats her soft food and we always keep dry "kibbles" in a bowl. She can help herself, but never overeats. When she is done with her "breakfast" she usually has a few kibbles, then... get this... she comes back upstairs, hops back in bed and delivers kibbles to me, ON MY CHEST! She has now taken to occasionally depositing them on my chest while I am sitting in my recliner after she has a snack. I have never heard of such a thing! Has anyone ever heard of a dog (of any kind) who would actually care enough to bring her/his owner some of her/his food? Curious. This is just amazing to me. She ONLY does this for me... not her "mom." :) Mom is a little jealous, but they are joined at the hip. Other than this behavior, I am definitely 2nd fiddle!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty adorable! Does she eat the kibbles when she brings them to you, or does she just leave them on you?
She usually leaves them on me and quickly heads back downstairs, but on a few occasions I have fed them back to her, one at a time. This happens probably 7 out of 10 days and usually she just leaves 'em... "Here dad. For you!" I am amazed that ANY dog would share food. That's just not what they do! Lol.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
She usually leaves them on me and quickly heads back downstairs, but on a few occasions I have fed them back to her, one at a time. This happens probably 7 out of 10 days and usually she just leaves 'em... "Here dad. For you!" I am amazed that ANY dog would share food. That's just not what they do! Lol.
Leave it to a poodle! That is really sweet :love:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
It is very cute, although practical me thinks she is not really feeding you. She is using you as a hiding spot for her food.

Dogs find very unusual spots to hide food, like in the middle of a bare floor, after covering it with invisible dirt with their nose, lol !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is very cute, although practical me thinks she is not really feeding you. She is using you as a hiding spot for her food.

Dogs find very unusual spots to hide food, like in the middle of a bare floor, after covering it with invisible dirt with their nose, lol !
Well, practical me says with all of the places she could "hide" something (and she carries her chewy bones all over the house, upstairs and down, looking for the right place), why would she jump up on me in the recliner and deposit them on my chest?... or why not in the covers in bed and try to cover them rather than on my chest and take off. Why not between my legs, or between my legs and the chair? Why only me and not her human "mom?" Also, she never hides her kibbles anywhere.... only chewy bones and pizza crusts! She will never eat or chew a pizza crust, but it's a "treasure" to be reckoned with! Lol.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
That is so cute, none of my 3 would consider sharing among themselves or with anyone else. My smallest will hide cookies but never her food.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Well, practical me says with all of the places she could "hide" something (and she carries her chewy bones all over the house, upstairs and down, looking for the right place), why would she jump up on me in the recliner and deposit them on my chest?... or why not in the covers in bed and try to cover them rather than on my chest and take off. Why not between my legs, or between my legs and the chair? Why only me and not her human "mom?" Also, she never hides her kibbles anywhere.... only chewy bones and pizza crusts! She will never eat or chew a pizza crust, but it's a "treasure" to be reckoned with! Lol.
Because she knows you will protect her food. She is using you as a protection tool.

But don’t mind me, your version is more fun ! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because she knows you will protect her food. She is using you as a protection tool.

But don’t mind me, your version is more fun ! :)
Well, we're delving into dog psychology here, but why would she only have me protect a couple small kibbles (a few of MANY available) and not her chewy bone or pizza crust. Those are much more "prized." No, I think I am right. Kibbles are not something to be hidden or protected. They are plenty and are to be shared. :) What I am really looking for is someone who is aware of the same behavior in any dog. I think it is very rare.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Even though I'm kind of a skeptic like Dechi, I think poodles are so kind, I wouldn't be surprised if she was sharing. I've seen my poodles be very generous with each other (not with food, though :lol: ).

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
So adorable. 2 of my girls blow their kibbles out of their mouth instead of just dropping them on the floor, the will be 6 inches to a floor from their bowl. They want the other food in the bowl, if still hungry they will go back and get them

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Well, we're delving into dog psychology here, but why would she only have me protect a couple small kibbles (a few of MANY available) and not her chewy bone or pizza crust. Those are much more "prized." No, I think I am right. Kibbles are not something to be hidden or protected. They are plenty and are to be shared. :) What I am really looking for is someone who is aware of the same behavior in any dog. I think it is very rare.
https://wagwalking.com/behavior/why-do-dogs-bring-you-their-food

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
al, there's a kind of reductionist approach in the dog world, just as there is a tendency to anthropomorphize. in your situation, it comes down to, do dogs choose? i think sometimes they do. i had two lowchen. the female was older and came to me as a retired show champion. i never tried to turn her into an obedience dog; she handled the basics of inside behavior just fine and that was enough. but she did occasionally exhibit somewhat curious behavior. she really had disdain (you could see it written in a bubble over her head) for the male lowchen. she would consent to 'play' with him only if he begged and begged. and she knew he was larger, so she would only consent to play if they were both lying down and could only use their mouths, no paws and definitely no advantage to the male for his size and weight.

but then there were those days she would lie at the front door facing me and do the egyptian snake dance with her head - inviting me to play with her. obviously i was bigger and heavier. but she could outrun me and would run in circles till she tired and i could pick her up. she enjoyed that game, but never invited my mother (who lived with me) to play. on the other hand, at one point my mother almost died from walking pneumonia. when she returned from the hospital, the female lowchen went into her room after we were all in bed and slept with my mother, on her bed. she did it for two nights only, and never again. it was a choice based, imo, on deep empathy. nothing will ever convince me otherwise. and several years later, as my mother's health was failing, the female spent all day with her, in my mother's room, while she did crossword puzzles and watched television. again, imo it was a freely made choice. and i doubt any reductionist explanation will ever be satisfactory.

so enjoy your toy poodle's choice. cherish it, too, because not all dogs are actually capable of making the same choices, any more than all humans are.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wonderful article Dechi!
I especailly related to : "If you normally feed your dog in a different room than where you are and he's constantly carrying his food closer to you, leaving it at your feet or on your chair, you can probably conclude that he's a dog who doesn't like eating in solitude."

And "Yes, it's true, dogs do like to bring you their food and you'll more than likely have a hard time convincing your dog you don't find it appetizing. What you could do instead, is teach him how to use the coffee machine and the toaster and tell him you'd much prefer breakfast, rather than kibble, in bed."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts