Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on a Wheaton breeder's site, how accurate is this info and is there anything you guys would add to it?? I'm starting my search for my next poodle and want to be well researched, and I only have three years to do it!!

A responsible, reputable breeder

Is dedicated to producing quality dogs that compliment the breed standard. Has so much invested in dogs that he struggles to break even, not make a profit. Will sell pups only to approved buyers.

Can explain how planned breedings are used to emphasize or minimize specific qualities.

Does not breed dogs younger than age 2. Has breeding stock x-rayed to check for hip dysplasia, eyes checked with proof of cerf, and annual
bloodwork complete including urinalysis and protein/creatinine ratio. Can produce certification to prove claims.

Has a written contractural commitment to replace a dog with genetic faults or to help owner deal with problem.

Loves the breed and can talk at length about its background, uses, and ideal type.

Has an investment in dog equipment and the puppies environment is sanitary and loving.

Belongs to national, regional, and/or local dog clubs, indicating a love for the sport of purebred dogs. Shows their dogs in conformation events as an objective test of how his stock measures up.

Evaluates puppy litter and determines which puppy best fits which family depending on temperament, activity level, size and sex.

Prices will be at the high end of local range. Price will not reflect all that is invested in the pups. A reputable breeder never profits from the sale of puppies. Does not advertise in the newspaper and many times has an
established waiting list for the puppies.

Only sells puppies with a "companion contract" or a "show dog contract"
depending on the situation. Will provide this contract prior to sell of
puppy upon request.

After purchase, will help you with grooming or training problems. Will take back a pup you cannot keep rather than see it disposed of inappropriately. Sells pets with spay/neuter agreement and on AKC limited registration.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Has a written contractural commitment to replace a dog with genetic faults or to help owner deal with problem.
I don't put much faith in contracts that require you to return the puppy. Unethical breeders know you'll be attached to the puppy and not want to return it, so they rarely have to honor their contract. Plus you're still responsible for all shipping costs. You've already paid to have the pup shipped to you, then you have to ship the sick puppy back and the replacement to you. That can add up. You're also out all vet costs you've spent on the sick puppy and the breeder usually wants some kind of proof/ second opinion before they accept the puppy back. That can add up. I would want some kind of amendment stating that they would refund at least part of the purchase price to help pay for medical bills.

Poodles require more testing than that too.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't put much faith in contracts that require you to return the puppy. Unethical breeders know you'll be attached to the puppy and not want to return it, so they rarely have to honor their contract. Plus you're still responsible for all shipping costs. You've already paid to have the pup shipped to you, then you have to ship the sick puppy back and the replacement to you. That can add up. You're also out all vet costs you've spent on the sick puppy and the breeder usually wants some kind of proof/ second opinion before they accept the puppy back. That can add up. I would want some kind of amendment stating that they would refund at least part of the purchase price to help pay for medical bills.

Poodles require more testing than that too.
what I do with my pups is that I give life and health insurance with them at least for the first year. Then if they get sick the insurance pays for all the vet bills.

And if the pup should die the owner gets his money back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info, i understand that the health testing is different, this was from a Soft Coat Wheaton breeders site.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
what I do with my pups is that I give life and health insurance with them at least for the first year. Then if they get sick the insurance pays for all the vet bills.

And if the pup should die the owner gets his money back.
Winnow - that is just amazing what you offer :):):) !!!! I wonder if your puppy buyers in Iceland have any idea of how lucky they are to have you there !!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Winnow - that is just amazing what you offer :):):) !!!! I wonder if your puppy buyers in Iceland have any idea of how lucky they are to have you there !!!
Thanks I really hope so :)

But this is not unusual here in Iceland.
Most pups come with health insurance for the first year, but I thought that there are so many things that can happen to the pup during there first year so why not throw in a life insurance also.
It is not costing me that much about 85 USD for each puppy so 510 USD for all of them nothing compared to the cost if something goes wrong.

I really want to do the very best I can with my puppies and I will offer 24/7 support during there lives.

My mission is to breed healthy dogs that make the owners life happier..

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That is wonderful that pet insurance is offered for the first year. I hope it is a good policy.

I had that with a kitten I adopted from a local humane society who became very ill. Unfortunately I lost my claim. The kitten was in the same room with others that were quarantined for an virus; he was not sick when I took him. Within two days he was ill and on the third I took him to the vet. He had xrays and was diagnosed beyond the virus. He had pneumonia. I was not at all worried when I paid the $250 bill even though I really couldn't afford it. I filed my claim and low-and-behold; a month later got a denial letter. There was a list of illnesses on the insurance papers that they covered. Upper respiratory infection (which the cats were suffering from) was on the list. Pneumonia was not. It didn't do me a bit of good and the humane society wouldn't make good on it even though he came to me sick.

As was mentioned above, I would never give up a loved pet because it became ill and nearly died on me. He is a sweet boy and I love him dearly. I took the loss and moved on but now am very leery of pet insurance.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That is wonderful that pet insurance is offered for the first year. I hope it is a good policy.

I had that with a kitten I adopted from a local humane society who became very ill. Unfortunately I lost my claim. The kitten was in the same room with others that were quarantined for an virus; he was not sick when I took him. Within two days he was ill and on the third I took him to the vet. He had xrays and was diagnosed beyond the virus. He had pneumonia. I was not at all worried when I paid the $250 bill even though I really couldn't afford it. I filed my claim and low-and-behold; a month later got a denial letter. There was a list of illnesses on the insurance papers that they covered. Upper respiratory infection (which the cats were suffering from) was on the list. Pneumonia was not. It didn't do me a bit of good and the humane society wouldn't make good on it even though he came to me sick.

As was mentioned above, I would never give up a loved pet because it became ill and nearly died on me. He is a sweet boy and I love him dearly. I took the loss and moved on but now am very leery of pet insurance.
Everything is covered except for the first 14 days of the insurance.
Even c-sections for dam and so on.

If the dog gets sick and you have to pay more than 70 USD you will get a refund.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts