Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s this for disturbing? I sometimes groom dogs for the local rescue in my town that are surrendered in very bad condition. About a month ago a lady who works for the rescue called and asked me to groom her golden doodle Annie, she wasn’t in bad condition. I did it and after I was done she told me Annie’s story. She was rescued by the local rescue that this lady works for from an Amish puppy mill in my county. She had been living in a kennel full of straw in a barn for 12 months with a bucket of food and water, and the top of the kennel opened to pour more food and water in. She was super matted and nasty but they got her shaved down by a vet. So anyway a lot of people were interested in adopting her but this lady who works for the rescue wanted her and since she worked there she got her... so I groomed Annie last month and now today this lady asked me to groom her again because she is due to have puppies March 2nd.. WHAT?! why would a lady who works for a rescue breed her doodle? Shouldn’t they be required to spay the dogs they rescue from a puppy mill? She has had her 6 months and already bred her. I asked what she was bred to. A white male standard poodle owned by another backyard breeder in my town who breeds Sheepadoodles, labradoodles, and golden doodles. (The stud is one I groom also) I just don’t understand people. Why rescue her from a puppy mill just to turn around and breed her. And this lady works for the rescue!! And she told me she’s sooooo excited because she’s never had puppies before and she’s so excited cause Annie is due on her 2nd birthday... anyway I just needed to rant cause it upsets me and my husband doesn’t get why I care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am guessing this lady is doing it to make money (for herself and the rescue). They will probably pass these puppies off as "rescue puppies," and since so many people want "doodles," there is money to be made. It's really sick. I have seen one specific rescue in my state charge very high prices for their dogs, and it's my understanding this rescue is for profit. Completely agree that the dog should have been spayed, but the rules seem to only apply to those who adopt.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is so messed up. Uggggh. I hate hate hate bad rescues. I wonder what the other rescue managers think of this.
The lady who owns and runs the rescue was standing right there while the other lady was telling me how excited she was for Annie to have puppies and she didn’t say anything. She did keep changing the subject tho. It was when they were dropping off 4 neglected shih tzus for me to groom today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
😱

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Wit the exception of CPR and PRH, I mistrust most rescues. Rescue people CAN be knowledgeable... or they can be wingnuts like this lady.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That’s disturbing.

It’s accepted practice for rescues to spay and neuter animals before they’re adopted out. Evidently the rules didn’t apply to this idiot.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Puppy brokers styling themselves as rescues annoy me for the same reason that comfort dogs being represented as service dogs annoy me. They are spending the goodwill built up by the real deal. That coat-tailing makes it harder for the legitimate groups.

One of the rescues near me took in a couple of poodles seized along with a bunch of other dogs. The interwebz got wrathful that these dogs are being placed with a high adoption fee. Do I have a problem with that? No. This same rescue also takes in some seriously screwed up dogs that have expensive medical needs. Hunting beagles hit by cars and then abandoned by their owners. Underfed bait dogs from fighting dog kennels. That sort of thing. I'm totally ok with the adoption fee for a charismatic dog subsidizing some of these special needs dogs. But that's far different from subsidizing the operation by adding to the population of randomly bred mutt dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts