Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question for all of you experienced poodle owners:

I was just looking over my last receipt from the vet. I have Candy on Revolution Mauve for which I pay $13.50 (Canadian) for one single dose which has to be redone every month. Is this what most people are doing? Do you do it year round or just till first frost? I think I had seen that you could buy a product called Frontline which might be similar on eBay and might be more cost effective so I'm just curious about what everyone else does. I live on a 100 acre property and Candy spends lots of time outside with us, running through long grasses and wooded areas so I have to be vigilant about bug control but still want to make sure I'm making the best choice. Thanks as always for all your help!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the ebay tip. My vet charges $14 a tube for frontline. (USA) We only get fleas in the late summer and early fall in my area but I will start frontline in June and go through Sept or Oct depending on the weather. (I guess it's time to get some where has this month gone?) I'm not sure if that's the 'correct' thing to do but it works for us.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Funny on how this topic came up We just went over fleas in class lol
Fleas are always around year round it is a myth that fleas only come out in spring and summer. If you Dog comes in contact with a wild animal in the winter they can get fleas from the animal. The snow and frost makes wild animals less active some hibernate and leave the area so the fleas are magically gone lol but they are not really gone. If you dog stays in side most of the time in winter they probably will not get any fleas. It also depends what area you live in so States or Countries do not have a big flea problem.

In California Fleas are a problem. If you dog is out side its recommended to use a monthly flea application all year round. Enzo and I live in apt he does not get fleas as if I had a yard and house like i did with my german shepherd.

Our neighbors dogs have fleas I have to spray my carpet and wash Enzo and Vacuum like there is no tomorrow to keep fleas at bay. we have put Advantage or frontline on Enzo and it made his hair come out so. We probably have to keep using other stuff to kill fleas

Basically the flea applications we use kill all the stages of the flea life cycle except the pupa stage. A flea that is in the pupa stage can be dormant for up to a YEAR !!!!! They usually are in the carpet ( this is why Vacuuming is Important) You must empty vacuum also because they will continue to live in the vacuum bag. Basically you would have to wait for all pupa to emerge as fleas to get rid of all of them and it can take a while since they all don't emerge at the same time. Its better to just make sure your dog is protected to keep the flea life cycle from even staring if fleas are huge problem in your area.

here is what the pupa look like , they are so small they look like grains of sand

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, interesting and disgusting, both at the same time. Thanks Roxy, I just lost my appetite for lunch. Thankfully, I have no carpet anywhere in my house, we only have just the one mini poodle, no other pets except flea free fish, and Candy has been on Revolution since I got her in April, and was checked for bugs by the vet first too. However, I do live in a rural, buggy area and she's out with us all the time now that the weather is nice. After reading a little about Frontline, I see it varies from Revolution in that Revolution also prevents internal parasites including heartworm and also ticks and mange. Frontline covers only fleas I believe. For sure I remember ticks getting on my mother's dogs growing up here. So I will need to stick with the Revolution by the looks of it, and it also looks like my vet's price is actually very good. Unless anyone else knows better?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
for some money saving options you might check into this website http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

They are based in Austrialia and you can purchase flea and tick and heartworm preventative from them much cheaper than you can get at the vet. So you'd still be able to keep her on revolution if you'd like, no script needed. I buy all my stuff from them now, love it. I know they ship to the US you might have to check about what they can sell to canada. They have some products that they are unable to sell over here BUT they are very good about noting which products those are. They also even give you the experation dates on the product you are ordering and often ru specials on various things.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am going to that site now. It ticks me off that I gotta spend 30 plus vet visit for 2 dogs to check for heart worm each year even if treated the year before. I can see maybe every couple years but I think it is a scam 30 bucks plus the visit cost is over 100 bucks before even getting monthly meds

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I got a full year's worth of heartgaurd plus for Jazz for 50 bucks, which is awsome compaired to what I would have paid for just 6 mo worth at my vet.

·
Registered
646 Posts
OMG I am so stupid Karin I should have waited and got together we could have split shipping. It hasn't given me a shipping price but when it does I will let you know.
It says to expect it in 8 days so I figure by next friday. I will be a couple days late on the pills but hopefully ok.
I love the sight and wanted a few more things I like the little belt fanny pack I almost ordered but want one to hold a water bottle as well. I guess I could have carabana clipped it to it.
**** why do I rush things I think of them after i hit send. OH well just happy to get the heartworm without the vet costs. 20 bucks for 6 months for each is better then the vet charges for sure and I am still protecting them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the chemical flea and tick products. But I do understand the need for them, especially in places where there is an abundance of these pests. I like to search for herbal remedies for most things I can help prevent. I found a little article I bookmarked that lists a few natural alternatives to preventing fleas and ticks. http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Natural-Flea-and-Tick-Repellent-for-Dogs.694111 I've been following this for 2 years now and it's been working great. Keep in mind we do go out often to parks and hiking trails. Even if it isn't 100% effective, the general health of my dog has improved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Billy No Mates flea treatment in the UK

As i live in the UK we don't suffer with heart worms but we do of course suffer with fleas and ticks, my main breed is the Border Collie and some of them are allergic to chemical treatment so we give them "Billy No Mates" in there food, it's like a finely chopped leaf product and the ingredients
Include aromatic combination of mint, seaweed, fenugreek, neem leaves and lemon balm should be simply sprinkled over your dog - or cat's food and as well as repelling 'boarders' is great for skin and coat condition, I'm sure you could possible make a type of repellent up yourself with these ingredients.
Wish we lived closer so you could try it, it's worked for me for years, the dogs like it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts