Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm on the search of a standard poodle puppy that is from a reputable breeder and I was just thinking of this puppy "as a pet"... but I stumbled accross this little guy and he is show quality out of the Unique line of poodles. His grandmother just won Best in Show-Reserve at Crups.

In the back of my mind over the last few years I've been thinking about showing...I am a novice, and know absolutely nothing about it... where would I start?

p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Okay, so I'm on the search of a standard poodle puppy that is from a reputable breeder and I was just thinking of this puppy "as a pet"... but I stumbled accross this little guy and he is show quality out of the Unique line of poodles. His grandmother just won Best in Show-Reserve at Crups.

In the back of my mind over the last few years I've been thinking about showing...I am a novice, and know absolutely nothing about it... where would I start?

p
that is awesome if you do go that route. I am new to showing also, wonderpup, spoospirit , and my self all have this book called " show me" I got the old version but they do have a new one

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Me-Dog-Showing-Primer/dp/0764138898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241938644&sr=8-1

It is a very good book for beginners !

if you decide to handle your pup your self they have handler classes to teach you what to do in the ring. You would have to ask the local club if they have classes or ask a breeder to help you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roxy...

I will pick the book up. This puppy is in PA and I'm in WA, I'm asking the breeder, if it is small enough still, to fit in a carry on kennel. If so, I will fly out to PA and pick it up... I have an email out to the breeder here locally. She is very nice and hopefully, I can get info from her.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Thanks Roxy...

I will pick the book up. This puppy is in PA and I'm in WA, I'm asking the breeder, if it is small enough still, to fit in a carry on kennel. If so, I will fly out to PA and pick it up... I have an email out to the breeder here locally. She is very nice and hopefully, I can get info from her.
ALso, these books may be useful to you, they have been invaluable to me.

The Complete Poodle Book by Del Dahl
The Simple Guide to Showing Your Dog by Richard G Beauchamp

The fist one is one that I was told EVERY new poodle owner should have, it is easy to read there are great pics of what a poodle should look like for show, tips on grooming and picking a pup....it is an older print, but well worth it.

How old is the pup you are looking at? One of the things you can do is look in your area for a breed handling class, we have a center here that has classes for every AKC event you can think of and dog acting as well! It is great and the handling instruction if you have it avail will be invaluable! You will be taught how to properly stack, present and also the patterns that are used in judging rings. You would have access to the handling instructor for questions on everything. Ours is a breeder/exhibitor/judge she also competes in agility and I think herding. Good luck! :peace:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is 8 weeks old. I have an email out to her about possible selling him to me on a show/breed contract vs. a spay/neuter contract. I think even if I went spay/neuter, I will do agility with him.

p

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
He is 8 weeks old. I have an email out to her about possible selling him to me on a show/breed contract vs. a spay/neuter contract. I think even if I went spay/neuter, I will do agility with him.

p
That is great! With a spay/neuter contract, you would also be able to still get practice in the ring at least UCK they have an altered class you can show in! Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was already to get this puppy... then asked about "health warranty".... which my husband is antimate about.... He says they need to stand by the dog and if there is a genetic issue that comes up, they need to replace the dog or refund money. I understand where he is coming from after loosing Suzy... He is hurt and he feels it in his wallet and his heart... Suzy's vet bill was over $9000. Some breeders offer warranties and other's basically say "I can't control the future".

The thing that scares me about the puppy in PA is shipping it all the way accross the states. What if something happened to it... I would feel awful.

I'm going to the AKC show next weekend and talk with breeder in the area. I will most likely end up going on the puppy list for the bitch that is being bred this week for a breeder that is only 5 miles away from my house. She has agreed to a health warranty and has done all the appropriate test.

p

·
Registered
843 Posts
Best of luck to you,pmdavis.
What happened to Suzy is very sad,indeed.
I understand where you are coming from,being extra careful.
Do your research,choose a reputable breeder.
I would think,that the odds should be on your side and you will get a healthy dog.
Having said that...there are really no guarantees...with animals or people.

·
Registered
843 Posts
One more thing about the 'health warranty'.
If I get a dog and 2 or 3 years down the road it is found to have genetic issues,there is no way in hell my baby is going back to the breeder.
And I often wonder,are there dog owners out there,that take advantage of this and send the dog back, because it becomes sick?
I,personally,could never do that.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Susan Cook from Marquis Diamond Standard Poodles offer's a lifetime waranty on genetic diseases. She is in Ca near Reno (I believe). Anyhow, she is very very helpful when it comes to questions or anything she can help with. She has pups available now and breeds for show.

I have a male pup from a breeding from her stud male Valentino. I didnt buy my boy from Susan but she will answer any question I have and has been super helpful about everything. Just a thought from a breeder I know of.

Good luck either way you go. Please post pics of the pup when you get one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
pmdavis, I had a 3 1/2 month old whippet puppy shipped by connecting flights (2 different planes) from Virginia to Seattle, where I picked him up, and drove up to Vancouver, Canada with him. He is 13 months now, and doing great. He was nervous when I got him out of his kennel after the flights, but it didn't take long for him to get over any fears from the plane ride. He had 7 hours in airports and on planes with strange people. Check into the airlines you plan on shipping with. You can check all their files of animal travel on the internet. It goes on about the percentage of animals that have been harmed, what happened, you can read the file reports, and find out consequences. Do your research and make sure that you and the breeder are comfortable, ship your puppy, and ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, Thanks for the advice

All this information is helpful...

SECRETO -- do you have a web page or email for Susan Cook? If so, could yo get it to me? My email is: [email protected]

Thanks. p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
One more thing about the 'health warranty'.
If I get a dog and 2 or 3 years down the road it is found to have genetic issues,there is no way in hell my baby is going back to the breeder.
And I often wonder,are there dog owners out there,that take advantage of this and send the dog back, because it becomes sick?
I,personally,could never do that.
That's why it's important to read any guarantee carefully. I know some Rottie breeders offer a partial refund or another puppy at a discount and let you keep the first dog. (You have to provide proof that the that the first pup has been spay/neutered.) I personally wouldn't put much faith in any guarantee that required the puppy to be returned. I think those breeders know very few people will give up their "baby" and therefore are not really standing behind their dogs. I've also seen guarantee that are vague or exclude just about everything. Some only apply to life threatening problems. Many issues that can be screened for aren't neccessarily "life threatening" so I guess you're SOL. I think asking to see proof that the parents, grandparents, etc were screened is a good idea. All a breeder can do is research their lines and have their dogs screened.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is Amazing!

The most amazing thing happend today! Yesterday I took the chance that the secretary of the local poodle club might have a puppy available, just because I had heard rumor that she had a litter not long ago. Then this morning I listend to a voice mail from the local breeder that I have been talking too, and she said that Chris (the secretary of the local poodle club) had a puppy just come available.

I called her this morning and sure enough she had a cream girl available with a health warranty and a replacement puppy if something fatal happened. She knew my story about Suzette and knew how important this was to my husband. We drove 66 miles (one way) after work and I came home with a beautiful girl. I am not going to show her, but I think I will get involved in agility with her.She is so sweet and quiet.

I will post pictures once I get my battery to my camera charged.

[

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Here you go.. We have named her Roxanne and are calling her Roxy. She is 9 weeks old and is cream in color.
Aww she is sooo CUTE and I love the name ;) LMAO

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Roxanne (Roxy) is such a cutie. She has that huggable sweet look to her that our cream standard male has to him. His name is simular to your babys name. His name is Rocky.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts