Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided this is more of a food question than a health question. Having just recently been adding Honest Kitchen dehydrated food to Bobby’s diet I have noticed bits of carrot in his poop. I do rehydrate it of course but not long enough perhaps? I really haven’t fed him veggies or fruit, mainly high quality kibble. For those of you who feed veggies or fruit in any form, is this normal or is he not digesting the food properly? Thanks! 😊 Other than that, everything else looks great!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
I do think it’s important not to overfeed veggies, but I’ve always seen bits of carrot in my dogs’ poop. For some reason, it’s just one of those foods. Or maybe it’s just more noticeable because of its vivid colour.

It may also take Bobby’s digestive system a little more time to adjust to the dehydrated food. I think it’s cooked at a much lower temperature than kibble.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I prepare Babykins food which includes carrots. I use fresh carrots and microwave them until they are soft. They are cut up and put in the food processor with other ingredients and blended to the texture of meatloaf. I often see flecks of carrots in her stool. It’s not a problem. She has absorbed some of the nutrients and the rest goes through her digestive tract as fiber.

Reactions: Spottytoes

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Good to know that Peggy has little carrot bits.😉 Sounds like it’s not an issue I need to be concerned about. Bobby is not a veggie eater as when I have tried them, not surprisingly, he’s not interested, although he does like cooked green beans. The only veggies he gets are the ones in his dog food.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prepare Babykins food which includes carrots. I use fresh carrots and microwave them until they are soft. They are cut up and put in the food processor with other ingredients and blended to the texture of meatloaf. I often see flecks of carrots in her stool. It’s not a problem. She has absorbed some of the nutrients and the rest goes through her digestive tract as fiber.
Thank you too! Looks like Bobby is totally normal! 😉

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Thanks! Good to know that Peggy has little carrot bits.😉 Sounds like it’s not an issue I need to be concerned about. Bobby is not a veggie eater as when I have tried them, not surprisingly, he’s not interested, although he does like cooked green beans. The only veggies he gets are the ones in his dog food.
Peggy also likes cooked green beans. When she was a puppy, I bought canned green beans and froze them on a tray before tossing them in a freezer bag. I guess the canning process at least partially cooks them, which makes them more digestible and probably more palatable, too.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
Our old spoo loved raw carrots sticks as a treat and she sat at the edge of the garden daily during the summer waiting for a green bean. We often saw carrot bits but never beans and I always assumed it was just the difference in density. We haven't given Winnie carrots yet because she gets nothing yet but her own food and the treats I make her. It will be interesting to see what she thinks of green beans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts