support I am now an Animal Shelter volunteer for the "Friends
of the Warren Animal Shelter" We are a 501(c)3 non-profit
organization dedicated to saving the lives of as many animals
as possible by helping find homes for the homeless animals in
our community, there is no re-homing fees but we do encourage
the spaying and neutering of animals and screen potential
interested owners. We are currently trying to raise money to
build a bigger animal shelter where animals will have a longer
chance to find owners before they are euthanized.

I am so proud of myself for joining and offering my help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to foster dogs years ago! I helped out in a animal shelter for years!
It was so rewarding!
Now me and my fiancee help old folk 80 plus go do their shopping we give up two whole days a week and take them shopping! Bless them!
They are so excited about me getting my pup on the 8th of september they can't wait to meet him!
I just can't say how much you get back from helping other if it animals or people!
Sandy

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Good for you Mercymoon! I volunteered at an animal shelter a couple of years ago and found it really rewarding. Once my work situation settles down, I hope to volunteer again, possibly this time with my dog as a therapy dog. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's really amiable of you! I know so much work goes into helping these animals find good forever homes. Lots of time, sweat, tears.

I'm actually going tomorrow to volunteer at my local Humane Society. It's only an orientation but I'm really excited to start helping!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You have every right to be proud, that is a great thing you are doing. I have always thought that I would love to do this myself but the nearest shelter is over an hour away from us and it is a bit much of a drive, if I lived closer I'd love to do this too.

Best of luck and enjoy!! :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Through a bunch of very unexpected changes in our lives we will be moving back to the city. If it is the one I think though we will be 20 min from the shelter and I will for sure be going and volunteering my time whether it is walking the dogs grooming a couple or other ways I am in.
Your awsome.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already re-homed two dogs since joining thursday, go me!

Thanks guys, I love ya'll to bits!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far I have re-homed three dogs, one which was in the pound. :)

Yesterday was hectic, went out to the shelter to visit the dogs and
take photos, and their cages was covered with feces and several was
out of water, it was so sad the one we had euthanized yesterday was
licking the bottom of a dry bucket starved for water. Anyways I contacted
someone about getting out their pronto to clean the cages and feed/water the dogs.

Anyways, the poor old dog we euthanized yesterday was noting but bones, had a severe case of the squirts and was so weak he walked a few steps and fell over. So I called the mayor to get someone to take the dogs to the vet andbe euthanized, he was better off that way. So so sad. :( :(

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ummm, what kind of shelter is this?? I mean, I'm surprised to hear that a shelter would leave dogs in dirty pens and without a ready supply of water. Sounds like it is a good thing you are working there, but I have to wonder about the dogs there suffering. Is this a state run shelter? Sorry to be so questionable but I have never heard of a shelter under such conditions.

Hope you can help keep the poor guys in better care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts