Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy is in some ways my husband's first dog. He had a Yorkie as a child, but had very little to do with its daily care. And then I brought a minipoo mix into our marriage, but she was a senior by then and we had a deep bond. She'd love on him like crazy, but her eyes would always return to me.

And he's certainly never trained a puppy! It's all brand new to him.

So imagine his quiet delight when Peggy chose HIM as her favourite person. They go on short training walks together every day, and he diligently applies the techniques he learns each week in puppy class.

His greatest accomplishment so far is teaching her to relax around traffic.

Peggy's a solid B student, but my husband gets an A ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
I love the way Peggy looks at your husband ! Beckie has the same harness as Peggy; she’s only 8 pounds but she’s a mean puller !

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the way Peggy looks at your husband ! Beckie has the same harness as Peggy; she’s only 8 pounds but she’s a mean puller !
I love the way she looks at him, too! He's her rock.

My husband doesn't always notice, but if something worries Peggy a bit, I'll see her look straight to him for reassurance.

And it's a great harness! Very easy to get on and off, too. Just not sure how it will work with a winter sweater.

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so sweet! My mini poo also prefers the company of men. He is a little macho himself!
That's so cute.

I've noticed that all our dogs over the years will drop *everything* when my father visits and drape themselves shamelessly all over him. It's fascinating! Something about his energy, maybe? Or maybe they just love licking his beard.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
You are so lucky that he is involved with her training. I love the attention she is giving him.

My DH loves Babykins and and appreciates all the training I’ve done, but he has no patience or interest in training her. He’s happy to use the correct commands and she responds but rarely helps me in her training. To be fair he works long hours and he’s extremely supportive of my dog training hobby. But I wish he would participate to a small degree.

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are so lucky that he is involved with her training. I love the attention she is giving him.

My DH loves Babykins and and appreciates all the training I’ve done, but he has no patience or interest in training her. He’s happy to use the correct commands and she responds but rarely helps me in her training. To be fair he works long hours and he’s extremely supportive of my dog training hobby. But I wish he would participate to a small degree.
She trusts him completely, which is really heartwarming.

There is a downside to having two people training, though. It can be hard to keep commands and expectations consistent. But I do feel lucky. I've been wanting us to find a shared hobby for years, and our weekly puppy class has, much to my surprise, become that shared hobby.

I especially like how he steps up when my patience runs lows and vice versa. There are days we only last a few minutes at the start of class before the other senses the mood and swoops in.

Ahhhh puppies ?

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the photos, she looks quite elegant and very attentive.
She really is! There are some things that are just soooo exciting, her brain basically shuts off. Like playtime with her puppy friends.

But most of the time she's great about regularly checking in with her handler, and she responds almost instantly to a shift in energy. It's sure teaching us to stay calm, otherwise we get a very bouncy poodle shooting straight up in the air in front of us.

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
Awwww! Peggy really has a bond with your husband. Buck also thinks DH is special, because he’s not same old, same old, which would be me.

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awwww! Peggy really has a bond with your husband. Buck also thinks DH is special, because he’s not same old, same old, which would be me.
That's how I soothe my sore feelings when she leaps into his lap on the couch and turns her back to me as though I suddenly cease to exist.

I'll admit to the occasional twinge of envy, but mostly I'm overjoyed for them. She benefits from making him feel a little extra special. It does wonders for his patience. Maybe she's even more clever than I thought!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My first poodle was a female, and I was her chosen person. Well, unless my youngest daughter was being picked on... if she was in need of an intervention, the poodle made sure my son had an attitude adjustment. Chante' was a bit of a snob... or selective in her choice of friends. One day a cousin I had never met stopped by for a visit. He was a Marine, and happy to escape the base for a few hours. We told him that Chante' was not very friendly and to not take it personally. Wow, did she ever make liars out of us. She was all over him, cuddling, nudging for more petting,and just being a brazen hussy. We couldn't believe it. It was so funny!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts