Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I introduced myself on here about a month and a half ago looking for help with my toy poodle puppy I had gotten while here in Mexico. I had written that I got her waaaaaaaaay too young (at 5 weeks) because they had just taken away the mom and were going to sell all the puppies. They do things differently here in Mexico unfortunately, and since at least half of the dogs I have seen here spend their lives on roof tops or enclosed areas with little human interaction, I just had to buy her. Luckily I was able to see both parents and so know that she is full poodle, but beyond that I have no idea as to their/her medical background. :eek:hwell:
Anyway I have been visiting this forum daily, basically reading every post past and present to learn more about the breed and I have to say, she is such a great dog, I am in love with poodles!!! She is so smart and picks things up very quickly. Now at three months she is able to sit, come, shake, stand up, and although we have a few potty accidents, she is doing much better with it. She can also walk on a leash in my patio, I can't take her out yet, she isn't fully vaccinated and there are street dogs:scared:. I have used a lot of advice I found on here to train her. She is still a baby so I understand that it takes a lot of patience, but she manages to surpass my expectations. Its funny when I read my other post how little I knew, now I feel like a pro from reading this forum so much.
However, I once again need some advice; first of all my little fur baby suffers from very soft, liquidy poo:scared:. She has had it for weeks now and I am not sure what to do. I read about canned pumpkin, but where I am that is impossible to find, is there anything else that can help? Also the food choices are particularly poor, I still have her on Purina puppy chow while trying to figure out the best thing to feed her. The “premium” choices for food here are ProPlan, Eukanuba, or Science Diet. Which would be the lesser of evils? I could try to feed raw, which I had started to do, giving her chopped up chicken neck and sometimes leg and her poo firmed up but the vet told me not to do that because it could make her sick and something about parasites (I am still on a deworming schedule for her vaccines), so I am not sure about that... She has the teeth to chew it but I don't want to make her sick. Raw here would be the cheapest thing, you can get fresh chicken neck for a nickel and legs for like 60 cents.:clap2:
Secondly, she has a breathing issue, something that I noticed a couple weeks after getting her, like when she barks or is playing and tries to inhale she wheezes, not just occasionally like a reverse sneeze, its all the time. Well I asked the vet about it and he told me it was a light infection in her throat and gave me a cough syrup. However, it still hasn't gone away. He said that he is going to order an antibiotic and I am waiting for it to arrive in their office. But I am worried that it might be something more serious, like maybe exercise induced asthma. The vet had pressed on a spot of her neck that made her cough and by that he was able to tell it was an infection. Has anyone come across this, heard of these symptoms?
Other than that everything is going pretty great. We are working on a little bit of a nipping issue, but that is normal and she is getting better. She follows me around EVERYWHERE, even to the bathroom, and she absolutely hates baths. But I love her soooooooo much and am so happy she is with me and not on a roof somewhere. Things are so different when it comes to having a dog here and having one in the US. There are no dog parks, no pet stores with puppy obedience classes. I don't have anyone around with a dog that I trust to socialize her with because many people don't train their dogs well and I don't want her to have a bad experience and when I get back to the US not want to socialize with other dogs. Since I get teach English I have some kids that come to the house and they get to pat her, I feel its a good way to socialize Maní and show the kids the right way to treat a puppy. I am trying to upload her pics on the other part of the forum so you can see my little furbaby.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Have they done a fecal on her recently? I was reading about worms in dogs and having diarrhea and breathing problems can be a sign of intestinal parasites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about that, this vet hasnt offered to do a fecal test, when I had asked about her diarrhea he tried to imply that it was from feeding her raw food and also asked if I was keeping up on the deworming schedule. I have a dewormer he gave me that I am supposed to use every two weeks until she is done all her vaccinations and this is what I have done. I have to go to pick up her medicine so I am going to ask him if he will do a fecal exam because if it is a parasite, its obviously not one that this medicine gets rid of.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah he could do a fecal if you bring in a sample next time you have an appointment. It's what I'd do. Good luck, I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I would go w/ Proplan of the three foods you posted and make sure to switch foods gradually. If Eukanuba has a natural line available in your area, you might look into it. Most natural lines are better than the regular ones. I really dislike Science Diet, it's overpriced and overhyped. I would avoid any food w/ corn in it and you want meat as the first ingredient; that's just the basics.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was wondering about that, this vet hasnt offered to do a fecal test, when I had asked about her diarrhea he tried to imply that it was from feeding her raw food and also asked if I was keeping up on the deworming schedule. I have a dewormer he gave me that I am supposed to use every two weeks until she is done all her vaccinations and this is what I have done. I have to go to pick up her medicine so I am going to ask him if he will do a fecal exam because if it is a parasite, its obviously not one that this medicine gets rid of.
Some vets are very uneducated about raw feeding. All the research I've done points to a raw diet being absolutely the best for dogs. Everyone that claimed raw was bad or dangerous could not produce any proof. No studies, no examples, not even "my friend's dog" anectdotal evidence.
From what you've posted here, it sounds like you need a new vet, bad. I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I can throw him.

I strongly recommend the raw diet, there's plenty of great advice here on the forums for raw feeding.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Some vets are very uneducated about raw feeding. All the research I've done points to a raw diet being absolutely the best for dogs. Everyone that claimed raw was bad or dangerous could not produce any proof. No studies, no examples, not even "my friend's dog" anectdotal evidence.
From what you've posted here, it sounds like you need a new vet, bad. I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I can throw him.

I strongly recommend the raw diet, there's plenty of great advice here on the forums for raw feeding.
Savannah has the right of it in my opinion...all the way around.
It sounds like she could benefit from a good exam and a fecal.

Get a new vet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I understand where you guys are coming from, but like I said here things are done a little differently and the selection of vets is not very big. In a country where 50% of the population is below the poverty line health of pets doesn't come first. So I have to make do with what is available. I was told that there is an Animal Hospital in another city 3 hours from here so I might be checking that out soon.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well, you could just bring a stool sample to the current vet and insist they do a fecal float? :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, when i go to pick up her medicine tomorrow I am going to ask him if they do that kind of testing there, and if not find out where they do it. If so, i will bring a sample with me when i go for her next vaccine on monday.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I feel you. I'm in a small TX town and the selection of vets is lacking. Sometimes you just have to be a pain in the a$$, lol. Do your own research and tell them how it's going to be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is very frustrating. Vets here only do what is immediately needed because most people don't want anything extra, they don't want to pay for it. Every visit for a vaccine here is about $13, really cheap right? But they don't check anything else unless you ask. The first time I went, the vet didn't check her breathing problem, I didn't bring it up because I thought he would do a general exam or something, but he just gave the vaccine and the dewormer and that was it. The second time I went, I went in with a bunch of questions, like the breathing and the running poo. So now, since neither has gone away its time to ask more. I guess this is kind of a live and learn situation. Sometimes I wish I was back home, we have a great vet and I miss the cultural feelings we have toward pets. I am not saying all people here mistreat their animals but I haven't gotten a good general feeling from what goes on here.

There is this family that lives a couple houses down from me, that decided after seeing seeing my puppy they wanted to buy for their 5 yr. old daughter for christmas. They came by christmas eve to leave the puppy with me for a couple hours waiting for the kids to go to sleep. It was a really cute white spoo like nine weeks old. Well about 1.5 months later they want to give the puppy away because it shakes all the time and has bitten their kids. Well, they let the little girl carry that poor puppy around, chase it, corner it, basically scare the crap out of the dog, without supervision or anything. They also have a 10 yr old son that comes home with friends and terrorize the poor thing. I wish i could take the dog but going back with two dogs would be very difficult, plus thats a lot bigger than a toy. :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've read something crazy like 93% of all puppies are born with worms. Rio had round worm, we didn't know (and don't know if we ever would have guessed!) until he puked one up. He had very runny/soft stools, but after he was fully wormed (2 weeks apart, if you do it, don't forget!) his stools became normal again! I was a very worried momma, but luckily it turned out to be an easy fix.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I too would switch to raw. There are tons of good sites out there explaining the proper way to do so (they escape me at the moment). I have one dog here that will have soft poos on any food with grain in it... that could be your problem too as a lot of dogs don't handle digesting grain very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts