Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area where perfect weather days
are to be savored. We have cold, snowy and icy winters and summer is often hot and humid. Well, today is an absolutely perfect day so I was extra motivated to train.
We walk Bobby pretty much twice a day unless he’s had a good play session or was at his loved doggie day care. Anyway, because it was such a lovely day, I was extra motivated to do a serious training walk. I worked him pretty hard because the weather is right. I am just SO proud of Bobby! He is getting better every day. It took a lot of training and practice to get where we are. I didn’t find it particularly easy to train for loose leash walking let alone heeling as he had a pulling and jumping problem. Through the months though, we worked hard, hard, hard and had a lot of ups and downs. He’s been walking better and better and today I realized how well he really does walk! I wasn’t sure we would ever get to this point. We added two new words today, “Hurry” and “Slow.” He picked that up almost immediately. I was amazed. He heels very well now so part of it could be he just knows to follow my lead and is used to lots of turns and varying paces but thought it would be fun to give names to the pace I want. We do “Heel” walking and Loose Leash walking depending on the day and what’s going on around us during the walk. The nice slow walks are his Sniffy walks where I let him set the pace. I tell him to go sniff and this dog adore sniffing. When I say sniff he knows exactly what to do! 😁
I think he could be a truffle dog or something.😂
Anyway, really trying to focus on more words for him to learn during walks and everyday life. He knows a lot but there is so much more to learn! 😊
Thanks for letting me brag! Most people aren’t that interested. Love this forum!

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Woo hoo! Brag away! I love it!

And I'd love to hear as much about your process as you feel like sharing. I know lots of folks here deal with jumping and pulling.

(Peggy made a total fool of herself—okay, more like ME—this morning. It's obvious she thinks she's doing what she's supposed to do: Jump! Sit. Jump! Sit. Run in crazy circles. Sit. And on it goes. Always with these perfect little sits and then back to crazy. I'm starting to think our cultural obsession with training "sit" can backfire on us.)

Go Bobby, go!!

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
That sounds like a walk worth bragging about - I love that you have found a way to make walks so enjoyable for both of you. Sniffing is so important to dogs, but can be so frustrating for us humans - excellent idea to put it on cue.

Reactions: Spottytoes

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it’s still a process and last night was a good reminder!🤣 He was walking well but then about midwalk he started his “I’m a crazy dog and don’t know how to walk and I like to jump” routine. Sometimes I have no clue as to what sets that off. Maybe he’s just tired of walking like a “good boy.” We live in a very high dog traffic, neighborhood with lots of squirrels, bunnies and lots of good smells and distractions. Sometimes it just must be all too much for him. 😉

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Well, it’s still a process and last night was a good reminder!🤣 He was walking well but then about midwalk he started his “I’m a crazy dog and don’t know how to walk and I like to jump” routine. Sometimes I have no clue as to what sets that off. Maybe he’s just tired of walking like a “good boy.” We live in a very high dog traffic, neighborhood with lots of squirrels, bunnies and lots of good smells and distractions. Sometimes it just must be all too much for him. 😉
My boy Pogo never properly calms down again once something sets him off on a walk. He will be walking along fine, ignoring traffic, until a squirrel runs past. After that he has a meltdown at every single Amazon delivery truck or SUV we encounter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts