Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't laugh at her hair! LOL Daisy is 2 yrs old and came to me a few months back...never been groomed. Her former owner though she was going to make $$$$ breeding doodles with her. I plan to use her to let me sons ride her...I AM JUST KIDDING! She is just a big beloved pet that is very slowly getting used to being an inside dog.

She spends most of her time under our kitchen table, her safe spot. She loves to follow me around the yard, but still even the smallest noise scares her and sends her running.

The 1st few days with her knocking over our furniture (tables, floor lamps, even moved the couch 2 foot from where it is sitting) every 2 minutes when she heard a noise on tv was tough, and she still DIVES behind the couch when someone knocks on the door.

But believe me its better than when she would try to break down the back door to get outside away from visitors!

She is at her best when its just me and the youngest boy her at home...she has taken a particular shine to our youngest son. She loves me the most, but I think she will end up being his buddy as he gets older. He crawls right up to her and lays on her sometimes and she has never ran from him...she just lets him lean against her without any problems!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Are you sure she's not a miniature horse?! What a big girl! She is lovely!

See you can start you a farm...you already got a pig and a mini horse! :p

·
Registered
478 Posts
Out of curiousity - had she just had a litter of spoo puppies before you got her? I spoke with someone in your area a few months back when I was looking for Wrigley and they mentioned that they were going to place the mother. I wonder if it is her. If so, I'm glad she ended up with you.
I ended up getting Wrigley somewhere else but wondered about her.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Aww the poor lovey. God i hate some ppl for treating their animals like this. Thankyou for giving her a kind home where she can finally learn to relax.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a friend how works at a vets office and when she has a poo in need she calls me! Daisy ended up there at her vets office and due to patient confidentiality all I know about her is that she was supposed to be part of a Labradoodle breeding group. Her former name was Chloe, but for all I know she may have been bred by someone in another state. Her past vet records (names have been blacked out) say her last rabies shot was licensed in a southern Indiana county.

The girl who worked at the office did say she came in with 2 black lab females but the vet said it looked like if she had ever been bred it wasn't recently...the labs on the other hand looked like they had been bred every cycle from 6 months old.

The lady who brought them in wanted the labs, but took her in a deal (all 3 for $200) so she just gave her to the girl in exchange for getting to use her employee discount on getting all 3 checked out, wormed, ear mite stuff, ect. I paid the girl $50 to cover her boarding and for a new collar and leash she had bought her and went and got her.

So before me within 24 hours time Daisy went through the hands of 3 people. Daisy went from being part of a rescue from a breeder who was "down-sizing" (the lady who went to southern IN to get the trio and a few others the breeder was selling), to the girl at the vet who in turned called me.

I hope she hasn't been bred before, but I about bet she has...she is so good with the little ones it does make me wonder. She sure does love my youngest son...the minute he cries she wakes up and runs to the baby gate, stands there for a minute, then runs to me..."hey mom, the baby is awake!"

She sits beside the high chair when he eats and lays in the kitchen when he is crawling about the floor...that is where she can see him and keep her eye on me, too. I am hoping that she does better as she settles in more...I guess that you have to be careful when you take a dog like that in.

I mean things could be a lot worse, she could have really been traumatized by being hit or something. More than anything I think she was just totally ignored, and never seen a man before in her life! Her worst fear is men, and the bigger or taller or deeper voiced the worse she is.

John has said many times that Daisy hates him, but even now she has started to come out and see him when he comes into the kitchen. Normally she would just watch him, but now she will even circle around him a bit with her tail up.

If it were me and she is asleep and I come in the kitchen I get "jerk head up, recognize mommy, stretch, itch, groan, get up, come out, poke mom in the rear with my big nose, and when I turn around to say hi to her I get the full blown silly poodle dance. I know you have seen the silly poodle dance?

You know...elbows touching the floor with feet off floor, front end down, back end up, mouth wide open with multiple sneezes and snorts! then they stand straight up and run around in a circle, then flop the front end right back down again. Like a play bow with more involvement?
Daisy shakes the whole house when she does it!

I don't know how big she is exactly in lbs but she is 20 inches at the withers...does that qualify her as being a mini pony? :tongue:

I think she weighs about 80-90 lbs now...she weighed 70 lbs at the vets office in June and I think she has put on at least 5-10 lbs since she got here. She is allergic to corn (found that out at my vets) and had probably been living on a corn based kibble her whole life...and was full of worms to boot. So after worming and new diet I bet she has put on at least that much. I wish my vets scales went over 50 lbs...and she is too big to hold while I stand on bathroom scales.

Most of the ones you typically see here in Indiana are much smaller...although I haven't been to a show in years so they be breeding them bigger now.

I about died when I first saw her, I thought oh no...she is a mixed breed and I am going to be allergic to her and she needs me so badly right now! She was covered in hair, mats, sticks and leaves matted in her feet and it was hard to tell she was not even if she was a dog. I told the girl I guess I would find out if I was allergic to her on the way home in the car...luckily I didn't sneeze or anything!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You are sooo good! I'm so glad you rescued her. Poor thing - how can people treat dogs like this - just to make money! it makes me so mad! Thanks for taking care of her - she is beautiful! she will calm down.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh she has calmed down A LOT since when she 1st arrived. She used to growl at my hubby and bark at the tv noise...now she only barks when someone knocks and just a few certain people send her to growling. Of course when I tell her to stop she does...which is also an improvement.

When she 1st got here she had no idea about training or really dog-dog play or any dog-human interaction. Now she will lay down to lay with the little ones and loves to play with me, and will even do the silly dance for John when he comes home from work!

I know she will settle in more with time, but may always have some funny quirks...thats part of taking in a rescue that people have to understand. Sometimes its hard to undo others stupidity...but it can be done with time and patience! With Das being older it will just take a bit more time, but the end result of a happy standard who is comfortable in her own home and even skin will be well worth it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
What a lovely story, this is why I love dogs over people. There are so few people who would be prepared to put in the time and have the patience for this girl and she is rewarding you every day with her improvement. Thanks for sharing her story, brought a smile to my face and I look foward to hearing more of her :smile:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought you guys might find this fully.

Last night when John got home from work Daisy was so excited to see him she was doing the spin-spin-spin dance and hit in the back of the knees with her nose and about took him out. I know that is something we will have to work with for safety reasons...but still it was funny at the time.

I think she may have learned her own lesson because when she hit him in the back of the knees he about fell on her...which scared the heck out of her because John weighs about 200 lbs. He fell off-balance (NOT DOWN ON HER) but caught him self with one arm so all his weight didn't go down on her...and she ran into the kitchen. He felt bad for scaring her so he immediately went into the kitchen and petted her and told her she was a big silly girl.

I was the victim of this a few times...but I weigh about 1/2 of what John weighs and when she did it to me she would just act like I as another dog falling on her and would bounce out of the way a bit then hop back over to me.

I had to stop her when she bashed into the back of my knees full speed and about made me break my hip.

Now she is allowed to poke her nose in the back of my knees to let me know she is there or wants something, but if she adds a paw or gets too rough I make the "BAH" noise and walk away. I must say I am glad she is just so willing to please...you tell her something once and it really sticks with her!

I need to shave her face down a bit...getting a bit long. Once I do I will get some brand new pics for everyone to see! I noticed yesterday when Daisy and Casey were standing next to each other, that Casey is almost even with Daisy at the withers...I guess is Daisy is big then Casey is going to be even bigger!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts