Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bothering me for several weeks now... since Thanksgiving, Desmond has not had "normal" stools. They aren't necessarily abnormal, but he used to have very healthy, small, firm stools. He hasn't switched foods at all, but all his poos are large, smelly and soft. He got sick the week before Thanksgiving (short bout of vomiting and diarrhea, vet check said he was fine and clear of any parasites), and he had soft stools for a while after that, we just assumed he was still recovering. It's just he still hasn't gone back to those small firm, not smelly stools yet. I don't really understand this... any ideas on what this could be? He's not unhealthy otherwise, it's just his poos are softer (sometimes liquid-like at parts) than seems normal. He's eating Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and has been since October/November.

Another question is about his urinary habits (gross thread, I know haha). He's fine about peeing outside, he lets me know when he has to go, etc. That's not the problem. We think he has weak bladder control or something, cause he'll just dribble as he walks at random points (no UTI, he's been checked). It used to be that he would do it b/c he REALLY had to go, but he doesn't seem to ever realize that he does it, he just walks and dribbles pee everywhere. He NEVER pees in the house, never marks anywhere. It's just accidental dribbles.
I ordered him a Tinkle Belt/belly band (which has STILL not come in the mail... grrr...) like 3 weeks ago to contain the dribbles inside. I am not mad at him, it's not his fault or anything... but is he going to grow out of this?? It's been going on practically since we got him at 11 weeks, he's 9 months old now. We chalked it up to potty training issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all anymore.
I really don't want to deal with dribbly dog for the rest of his life... Is this just weak bladder control? If so, do you think will he gain better control with age? Vets said there's nothing physically wrong with him concerning the issue, so I don't really know what to think.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Did you bring the issue of him "dribbling" urine without knowledge of it to the attention of your vet? If not, I would. It is not normal. It could be he has a problem with the muscle that holds his bladder from emptying until he empties it. But then, it could be something else. I would bring it up to the vet, also would mention to the vet that his stools are not proper after all this time after being ill even though his stool check was clean. His being ill and now this could be the signs of an underlying problem.

The urine dribble is not normal and I can't see how he will "grow out of it", but maybe someone on here works for a vet and may have some further insight to this. The stool situation sounds like something is going on. I would at least speak to the vet and see what the vet's opinion is on whether he should be looked at and tested for anything or not.

Good luck! I hope it is all just coincidental stuff that will work itself out!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jester's Mom, we did bring the dribbling to the vet's attention. He was pretty helpful and gave me some suggestions to work on with potty training and such, but we have since realized that it is not a training issue. The vet had said that the neuter he was scheduled for that day should lessen the problem, and it did to an extent. I am glad the vet didn't simply dismiss it as marking though, haha. The issue did lessen (not very significantly, but it was no longer 1-2 times a day). As of right now (3 months later), he dribbles less frequently than he used to, only once every few days. I mean, I take him out very frequently, it's just some days we find a long trail of pee... I don't really know. I take him out more frequently than I think I should with an almost-10-month-old potty-trained dog.

The stools are less worrying to me as they aren't necessarily unhealthy, they are just not as healthy as they used to be. We have been waiting for it to clear out, but it has only become consistently soft poos. Now, they aren't runny or excessively soft, just not the firm, healthy, compact poos he used to have. Maybe I should be more worried though? Hmmm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts