Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Groomer did a clean face for the first time in a while. We are split down the middle. My daughter and husband love it and my son and I hate it. Before and after photos attached. The before photos are a little too shaggy. But the after photos look a whole new doggy. Not our baby... I hope we can find a cut we all like.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I also prefer the clean look. Shaggy look is fine, but I find it very un-hygienic and every time I try it, I end up going back to a clean face because of the food that gets caught in the hair. You don’t even see it until you do, it’s unnoticeable, but then when you do it stinks and it’s disgusting...

·
Registered
549 Posts
But the after photos look a whole new doggy. Not our baby... I hope we can find a cut we all like.
Once you get used to the new look, he will be your baby again. I think it's just the shock of seeing a dog that you don't recognize, and not necessarily that you don't like the look. Wait and see what you think once you get used to it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think he looks wonderful! I was a fuzzy face fan too and really hesitated about shaving Jessie's face. Now that I did, I'm never going back. Cleanup is so much easier, and I love that she can take a drink and not have a fuzzy wet mouth all day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Beautiful looking baby!! This happened to me with Norman. Had the cute shaggy face and I loved it! Took him to the groomer and got his face shaved... I never want to go back to the fuzzy face! LOVED the shaved look, so sophisticated!! My whole family hated it but me!! You can always grow it out :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I love the clean face! But I'm heavily biased. I like clean face so much that I do the FFS trim weekly so they don't get scruffy. I feel like the more hair you let grow the less you can see the adorable dog underneath. I'm fine with hair elsewhere but I love the clean face. They are so expressive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So cute, Both look fab! We are the same! Me and my daughter like clean but the OH and sons like a fluffy teddy bear face. I noticed she got a lot more attention out on walks when she was in a teddy trim. I like change her trims now n again. Think I might try a moustache next.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Your dog looks beautiful!! But I understand this dilemma. Maybe grow it out and then shave, and repeat that cycle forever so everyone has their turn ?

We got a poodle with my husband's condition there were to be NO "poodle" cuts. But.....on the advice of our groomer, we shaved Peggy's face and feet at 4 months....and did it again at 5 months.....and I'm just not sure I can go back.

It's so easy to wipe her eyes now! She doesn't carry sand and debris into the house on her paws. And, most importantly, I feel like I really KNOW her now. Her face is so expressive without all that cute fluff.

My husband's not convinced, but maybe he'll come around when she gets her adult coat and we clip the rest of her down shorter. There'll be less contrast then.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the crown pic! Maybe a small mustache will be a compromise.

So cute, Both look fab! We are the same! Me and my daughter like clean but the OH and sons like a fluffy teddy bear face. I noticed she got a lot more attention out on walks when she was in a teddy trim. I like change her trims now n again. Think I might try a moustache next.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is one cute face!
Your dog looks beautiful!! But I understand this dilemma. Maybe grow it out and then shave, and repeat that cycle forever so everyone has their turn ?

We got a poodle with my husband's condition there were to be NO "poodle" cuts. But.....on the advice of our groomer, we shaved Peggy's face and feet at 4 months....and did it again at 5 months.....and I'm just not sure I can go back.

It's so easy to wipe her eyes now! She doesn't carry sand and debris into the house on her paws. And, most importantly, I feel like I really KNOW her now. Her face is so expressive without all that cute fluff.

My husband's not convinced, but maybe he'll come around when she gets her adult coat and we clip the rest of her down shorter. There'll be less contrast then.

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
I hands down like your Before photo, and in general prefer the fuzzy face look in puppies up to around six or so months of age. That face yells "I'm a kid! I'm adorable! Let's play!" Their bodies are limber and you instinctively know they're kids. Long, soft, flowing ears, fuzzy all over, makes me want to bury my hands in it and hug the puppy or dog.

Below is the Lamb Clip, which keeps that soft, playful look; one more relaxed, the other more formal:

In an older adolescent or adult, I like a clean face (unless it's a cute teddy bear cut), but I like all sorts of clips.

It looks like your groomer was going after the German clip look. There's a seriousness about it that a lot of people like, especially adults.

Below the poodle on the left has a German clip, the one on the right has a Miami clip.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I love the clean face and do FFT/sanitary on my girls every 2-3 weeks. Long hair on the face lets food/water remain in the hair around the mouth and lets eye secretions get stuck in the hair there. Plus, part of the beauty of the poodle to me is the lovely chiseling in a pretty head, which you can't see if they aren't clipped close. Girls just groomed yesterday....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts