Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Fly's first bath in the tub. She's been to the groomer's once, but I thought I'd try my hand at a bath and a blow dry. She did so well. She turned into a complete fluff ball afterwards, I'll have to put up another pic. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Lol what a cute baby! And I love her name!

I love doing this to Perry's hair, the boys I watch think it's pretty funny, too. I usually spike up his back too and call him a stegosaurus, lol.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We all thought it was pretty fun. She was slightly freaked out, but I would give her a small tid-bit of peanut butter on my finger every so often and she relaxed quite a bit, tail wagging.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick question:

What was your puppy like when you first blow dried them? Fly DID NOT like it. I started by just going over her with it turned off. Then I turned it on low for just a second, then shut it off again a few times meanwhile giving her a treat here and there for showing curiosity. After that she just kind of laid there, her tail limp and she was NOT enthused. Hopefully the more I practice with her the better and more comfortable she will get.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Plumcrazy would be a good one to answer because she is doing all of Lucy's grooming at the moment.

I think if a puppy has a good first couple of experiences while still with the breeder, that will show when they are in their new homes being groomed by the owner or groomer. I don't think any Poodle enjoys being dryed, so the limp tail, etc. isn't an issue. It is more a matter of tolerating it and not trying to lunge off the table when the dryer goes on. So as long as Fly copes okay and is not trying to climb up your chest or trying to dive off the table, THAT is completely normal.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Completely normal. They just learn to tolerate it. Even Elsa (13 in May) hates the bath but loves to be clean!!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think thats the best way to get them used to it but agree they do tolerate it, and then eventually they give in and dont complain to much:):) They do love being cleaned up afterwards - mine are trip.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh most won't be happy about it but they'll just put up with it if you ask. I also think if you want them to be good for you on the table you need to put them up there frequently.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Love the 2nd picture! Grace really does not like the power dryer, but doesn't fight me. Since she was a puppy we have played this game with my blow dryer and EVERY time she hears me open the drawer to get the dryer out, she comes in for a quick blow dry over her body. Its really kind of cute!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts