Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9 week old poodle with really bad constipation. I took her to the vet and they prescribed a soft food diet for her. The breeder I got her from was giving her dry kibble. She also will not drink water. We have a water softener, and I learned today that dogs sometimes do not like softened water.
Does anyone have any tips to help us with this?? Anyone have poodles that don’t drink softened water?? We have another very appointment tomorrow, bc the problem is not getting better.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
When did you bring your puppy home? If she's not drinking at all, I would treat this as an emergency and go straight out to buy a big jug of spring water from the grocery store (not distilled).

Consult with your vet on this (is there an emergency number you can call?) but I imagine you would only offer a small amount to start.

I've personally never had a dog refuse softened water.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Get a jug of spring water. Add a drop or 2 of honey if you have to. Whatever to get her to drink. So once you get her to drink & she's no longer dehydrated you start sneaking a bit of softened water into her special water. (1 quart to 1 tsp of softened). See if she will tolerate this. It's how you ease a dog into different water. Some use broth to entice puppy.

The flip side of the coin may be buying puppy's water. Occassionally pup knows best.

For constipation, try green beans. Canned will do. Rinse them really well. My dogs go ga-ga for them. They were magic beans for my Grandma's poodle & many other dogs along the way. You can use them like treats. If she turns her nose up at the magical green beans. Go to a feed store, like for livestock & get a syringe (no needle needed). Go buy Activia yogurt (check for deadly xylitol every time to be safe). I like to mix yogurt & pumpkin puree out of the can. Suck up in syringe, feed to puppy.

Worse case you might have to put on pack of throat, close mouth, rub throat, & GENTLY blow in nose. I've had a couple small dogs who would have died according to the vet but I am a persistent cuss. Most of the time they like yogurt/pumpkin or the mixture. The yogurt & pumpkin both sort of get things going to end constipation. Activia is especially good & pumpkin is good for both constipation & diarrhea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Get water from the store as others have said and give her water in her mouth with a seringe 3-4 times a day (gently push the water down the side of her mouth, along her cheeks). The pharmacy can give you one. At this age, she needs to drink and eat regularly.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
To keep her drinking I would try dilute chicken broth - no salt, onions or seasonings, just a piece of chicken cooked in plenty of water. If she takes that then freeze some in ice cube trays and defrost one or two at a time to add to her food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts