Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie is here and we are in love with her. She is smart and easy to train. We just have one concern, she loves to be outside! We have a large enclosed yard and she enjoys it. So much she constantly wants to go outside and even naps out there.
My other poodles could not wait to get back inside.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
That sounds strange to me. Was she raised in a farm environment or mostly outside ? Does she want to be with people at all ? Does she enjoy being petted, cuddling ?

·
Super Moderator
2,055 Posts
It sounds a little odd to me. All my puppies have been very clingy at 9 weeks. They would have been horrified to be left outside by themselves. They didn't necessarily want a human at that age - doggie playmates are more fun - but they definitely didn't want to be out alone.

·
Premium Member
9,898 Posts
Poodles typically want to be where their people are, so it also seems odd to me. Buck refuses to wander and explore on his own in our large fenced yard. When he was a puppy he briefly would rush out, do his toilet, and rush back in.

·
Super Moderator
7,249 Posts
Is she happy out there alone? As mentioned, that's a little odd at that age, but could be something she learned at the breeder's house. I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd definitely carry yummy things on me at all times.

As for the sleeping, puppies at that age sleep up to 20 hours a day and will often nap wherever they are. To me that's a sign of being comfortable in her surroundings. Does she also nap easily inside?

·
Registered
230 Posts
How old is she and did she spend alot of time alone outdoors before joining your family? Although I never left him alone outside, Sammy's behavior, as a puppy, made it clear he would be terrified to be alone outdoors. He doesn't like to be alone anywhere (like 2 feet away) and he will be 2 on Jan. 27th.

What size is your puppy? Hawks, owls, other predators can be a big concern. Unfortunately, a neighboring adult chihuahua was recently attacked by a hawk. The bird did release him and the owner was in the yard when this happened, but the damage was extensive. Due to safety, I have and would never leave my dog unsupervised outdoors, but he is a toy.

If I were in your situation, I would spend time in the backyard playing with my dog, but require her to come indoors when I do. Making being indoors especially fun is a good above suggestion. Puzzle toys, scent work indoors are ideas. Also, obedience, agility or other classes ( if your dog is old enough) are a great way to bond.

I would be concerned about my dog bonding with me, if he/she preferred to be alone for extended periods of time. That is one reason I chose a poodle. So I would work on bonding with my pup and hopefully encourage him/her to want to be with the family much more often than not. From your original post, it sounds like you have had poodles in the past and enjoy the ( very) close relationships poodles form with their families. So, yes, I would be concerned enough to take steps to increase her enteractions with you/your family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your reply!

So she was born in a house to a loving family. No access to a backyard.
i am too concerned about the Hawks. Since my post, I have taken some of your suggestions.

I play with her outside and make sure I make it fun for her so she chase after me when I run inside. I have also spent more time with her while in the house. We seem to be bonding more. This still does not change the fact that she loves the outdoors! It is like her mystical playground. Her favorite - the leaves!

Thank you all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts