Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No it will most likely grow out

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought myself a 9 week old poodle mix puppy who’s parents didn’t look to be purebred but had full coats. At weeks old I realized he hasn’t really grown any hair on the front of his paws or back legs. He kind of resembles a Pom/ poodle x.
is it normal for poodles this young to not have fur in those areas or do some poodles just not grow full muzzles ?
Should I expect it to stay short ?
here’s a picture of him
And I’ll attach the picture of his parents

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
He is a cute little guy! All poodles grow long hair on the face and feet just like the rest of their body. But with a mix or even a poodle from poor breeding, it is really impossible to tell what the coat will end up like. He does seem to have weirdly short hair on the legs. Puppy coats are often different from adult coats, so you may see his coat start to change at around 6 months. But there is no way to know what he'll end up like. As you already have him, I would just consider it an unknown surprise to discover in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

He is absolutely adorable!

Raindrops is right. If he's from a mixed breeding then you'll have two ways to tell. One is to wait and see what happens. The other is to run a DNA panel for breed history and coat type. The question is how much would it matter to you in the long run?

When you magnify the small photo, his whiskers are pretty long, but oh boy is he cute!

It can be really difficult to tell purebred poodles from many of the mixes, especially since the mixes don't always look the same from one set to another. The furred out faces also make it a tad more difficult to assess. I have to say that I've never seen a purebred poodle with that shorter face and leg fur.

My ungroomed boy at almost 9wks

This little guy is in my neighborhood and if I remember correctly is a pom/poo mix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and Welcome!

He is absolutely adorable!

Raindrops is right. If he's from a mixed breeding then you'll have two ways to tell. One is to wait and see what happens. The other is to run a DNA panel for breed history and coat type. The question is how much would it matter to you in the long run?

When you magnify the small photo, his whiskers are pretty long, but oh boy is he cute!
View attachment 474304

It can be really difficult to tell purebred poodles from many of the mixes, especially since the mixes don't always look the same from one set to another. The furred out faces also make it a tad more difficult to assess. I have to say that I've never seen a purebred poodle with that shorter face and leg fur.

My ungroomed boy at almost 9wks
View attachment 474305

This little guy is in my neighborhood and if I remember correctly is a pom/poo mix.
View attachment 474303
It’ll definitely be a fun surprise to find out! He’s very handsome as he is. I’ve only had him for a week and have slowly seen his face feel fuller, but whiskers are SUPER long. So that general area seems to stay way shorter. Thanks I really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
If he has a lot of spaniel in his family tree he may never get a fuzzy face. I think the term among doodle breeders is "furnishings". Poodles, bichons, and many terriers have furnishings; most retrievers and spaniels have clean faces.

He'll be adorable with or without a fuzzy face.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree too :)
He might have some spaniel in him, his parents don’t look purebred at all. The Breeder keeps telling me his face will grow in eventually because his parents have full faces but I think at this point if he doesn’t have full legs and face it’s won’t grow out too much.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Interesting, he looks less "poodley" than either of his parents! Genetics can be funny.

About the face, I have a friend with a Goldendoodle. As a pup he had minimal facial hair like your pup. It has grown in a lot more, but not quite as much as a poodle (or their other Goldendoodle, who has always favored the poodle side more).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, he looks less "poodley" than either of his parents! Genetics can be funny.

About the face, I have a friend with a Goldendoodle. As a pup he had minimal facial hair like your pup. It has grown in a lot more, but not quite as much as a poodle (or their other Goldendoodle, who has always favored the poodle side more).
Right! Do you think if I shaved the face it would help??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unlikely. Fuzzy face is genetically determined. The hair doesn't grow faster or longer if you shave it. It just feels more bristly, because you've removed the soft ends.
That makes a ton of sense! I have yet to see another poodle mix with similar furnishings so if anyone has any pictures send them over! Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts