Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two poodles in our household. One is a white standard female who is 3 years old and the other is my 9 month old toy male. The toy can become excitable very easy and never seems to tire down. His personality is one that he would try to take food/treats from the female or be the first to get anything we offer.

He seemed to be doing fine with his housebreaking. We were always consistent during training taking him out on leash every 20-30 minutes, and he is kenneled when we are away from home. We had him neutered at 8 months and then things seemed to have changed. He started urinating in the house, sometimes looking straight at your when he did it.

His urinating can range from doing a pee and then dribbling afterwards to peeing in one spot. Most of his actual peeing seems to take place when he is excited while playing, as though he couldn't stop to go outside. I have found other pee + dribble areas but don't know what precipated those. We have amped up our efforts to take him out more and be more watchful but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Today, I had given him and the standard a rawhide bone to chew for about 30 minutes. After I had taken the bones up, and the standard had left the area, I noticed a pee and then dribble on the floor in front of where the standard had been chewing her bone.

Any suggestions on what to do or what is going on? I don't want this to become a habit. Is it because he is in that 8+ month old "press every button stage"? adjusting to the neuter? marking? or is there something I can do to break him before this becomes a habit?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Have you checked with your vet? Hormonal changes can lead to housetraining regression in males as well as females, or he could have suffered post operative bruising or soreness that started it, or be suffering from an infection. I would talk to your vet, and rule out any physical cause as soon as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts