Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 beautiful sweet German Shepherds, 6yrs and 9 yrs. They are usually calm but not used to other dogs very much. We have a lot of land and they play together.

We are so excited to bring home our 8wk old mini this weekend. She is also really calm. I have gotten different ideas on how to introduce them and I need help on the first introduction.
The Shepherds are both girls as is our new puppy..photos coming soon!

When we got the Shepherds we had a mini that lived to be 16 (and was my heart). She died about 18 months ago.

People have said take them outside one at a time (we have 2 acres) on leashes. But the puppy has never been on a leash.
Others said hold the puppy and introduce the Shepherds on a leash one at a time.
I feel like the later is the best idea.

I hate the idea that she will start her life with us being afraid! I know the big girls will always be sweet and motherly once they know Suki , but I want to make the introduction as seamless and calm as possible.
Obviously I won't leave them alone for a long time and will watch them constantly.
Any ideas would be so so appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

We have a few GSD plus poodle members here as well as some members who are certified trainers also. I hope they'll join in here. I have brought a mpoo puppy into a home with an older mpoo but that was over 35 years ago, so not much to tell.

Until some others drop by, there's a selection of positive trainers typically recommended here. I haven't watched this yet but Zak George is one who's well thought of:

I understand the impulse to hold Miss Poo, but I wonder if equal standing, so to speak, is the better choice? I agree on one at a time and that this is not the time to introduce the pup to a leash, although a harness with a very short leash/rope/something to grab might be a good back up plan.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Welcome! Have your dogs ever met a puppy before? Do they have experience greeting small dogs (or even seeing small dogs) aside from your senior girl?

There’s a great clip with Ian Dunbar, where even he talks about being nervous to introduce his two big dogs to a teensy French Bulldog puppy. They kept the puppy separated in the house for a day or two before they decided it was time to let them say hello.

(The punchline of the story is that before they could introduce them, one of the big dogs somehow freed the puppy from the bathroom when no one was home and they all had a wonderful time together.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! The idea of keeping them separated for a bit hadn't occurred to me but one idea might be to have our dog sitter/watcher take the girls as soon as we drive up in the AM to get Suki (about 45 minutes away) and hopefully get them nice and tired. That way Suki could see the house and get a little used to things before ivy and Luna come home.
They have never seen a little puppy before, only Grace who was about 9 yrs old when Luna came, and then 2 yrs later Ivy (90 lb gentle giant). Grace was so great with them, it was never a problem. She did, in her quiet way, become head dog though, even though she was soo much smaller.

·
Premium Member
24,032 Posts
As not only a poodles with GSD person but also being a certified trainer (as mentioned by R & P) I would put everyone on a leash (baby dog included) and let them see each other out in the front part of your yard, in other words neutral ground. You do not need to go for a formal walk but just let them have some small safe interactions in a space that your GSD don't think of as their space. They do not have to physically meet each other directly just enough seeing and smelling at a short distance such that they will recognize each other. That is what we did when Javelin came home. Initially you will want to make sure there is no unsupervised physical interaction since even though well intended GSD are gigantic compared to the size of even spoo pups. I had set up my office (next to our bedroom) as our puppy place and had a baby gate in the doorway for a couple of weeks. They could see and sniff each other easily but couldn't have free play without a person to supervise. Peeves weighed 101 pounds at the vet yesterday and Javelin was under 10 pounds when he came home. Even though Peeves was very friendly the weight discrepancy was just to much to take a chance of a big GSD play bow right across the back of the 9 pound puppy. We also had a mini doxie puppy with us even before Javelin. He was around for a couple of weeks before being presented to a niece as a (gasp) Christmas present. We similarly kept them separated when no direct supervision was possible. Despite our best precautions though Peeves managed to follow BF and the puppy (probably about 3 pounds) into the yard one evening. Peeves just trotted up behind them and managed to trip over the pup and send him rolling across the yard. There was no malicious intention no injuries were sustained and Peeves didn't try to catch the pup or anything, but it scared the heck out of BF.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
Our size discrepency wasn't so big (40some pounds to 3-4 pounds) but we did basically as Lily said. Neutral territory, first seeing each other and sniffing from a distance. (We used an x pen rather than a leash, though.) Our "big" dog was not thrilled at first. But basically, any time the puppy came near the big girl we handed the big girl a little treat and gave lots of pets and attention. She now appreciates having the little girl around because little girl gets trained SO often that the big girl knows she ALSO will get treats more often. I've even caught them in the same bed a few times. Puppy has learned to be much more respectful, and that helped to go a long way in their relationship. Sometimes puppy forgets her manners, then Mya gives a growl, and then puppy backs off. It's kind of fascinating to watch them communicate, actually.

I don't know what would happen if Apple were a less respectful puppy though!

Congrats on bringing home somebody new! We'd love to see pictures when your pup comes home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't tell you how helpful you all have been. I've arranged for the dog walker to keep the girls for a good part of the day so Suki can relax and get to know her surroundings and us!
Emily Larlham of “Kikopup” recently added a chihuahua puppy to her pack. I asked her if she had a video of the introduction and sure enough...

:)

Hope you find it useful!
Thanks! Very helpful!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would have them meet in a neutral territory, like a park. Keep GSDs on a long line and have a dog carrier for puppy to run to if he gets worried.

Once at home, I would have the big dogs in the yard and the puppy on the other side of the fence. Put puppy on a leash using a harness.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome😁 and congratulations🎉. I don't have any extra advice. Can we have some pics of your GSDs and your puppy when you get her, please? They're one of my favorite breeds, and they're going to be my next dog I get for myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts