Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a new member of this forum and a first time dog owner. I have a 7.5 week old toy poodle (named Sal). I am currently crate training him. Luckily he hasnt had an accident in his crate and seems to go to the bathroom (on his pee pad) just fine in the morning... other than that, he seems to p&p anywhere he wants to. I consistently tell him "bathroom" in the morning and after he takes a nap, and praise him when he does. But he still seems to have accidents throughout the day. Also, I am having a hard time getting him to "come", "sit" , and he barely seems to recognize his name. I am trying to avoid treats, but if treats are a necessity, I am willing to use them. Also, getting him to use a leash is impossible.

Help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help! I know I will be needing more so please feel free to suggest.
As for now, I have decided to buy treats and a harness (to replace my collar).

As for Sal, I got him at around 5.5 weeks. He freely roams the living room (hardwood, thank God!) but only under my supervision. Usually my wife or I am able to watch him at all times. He does not have a playpen area, so if I have to run an errand in the middle of the day, I usually wait until he falls asleep and then put him into his crate and finally run off for my errand. My house isnt very big so it will be quite difficult to build a playpen area...

I had a question, at what age do most toy poodles usually respond to simple commands and their names? Also at what age do most poodles know where and when to use the bathroom? Ever since getting laid off (who hasn't), I have all day to tend to Sal and help him become a great dog..so any of your suggestions, comments, methods will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here are some pics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question, how do I take care of my pup's eyes? Ive heard that poodles have eye issues (something with tear ducts)... Sal's hair near his eyes are always crusty and seems to be gunk too. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or is this something I should I always clean every few days?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.