Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Visited the little guy once again today. He's been shaved fft, so looks more like a poodle now rather than a "mini pwd" as my mom kept saying last time! He has changed so much from when we were there 2 weeks ago.

He was again very happy to say hi, and also spent quite a lot of time attacking his "littermates", aka a stuffed squirrel and a big pink pig. He has pretty good prey drive for 6 weeks, will be interesting to see if that keeps up. He seems to so far be a good mix between independent and a bit of a cuddle bunny. He went off exploring (right into a cactus at one point, bad idea) but then when he got tired came and snuggled right into my lap.

Temperament testing will take place next week, so will be interesting to see how that goes. The biggest hurdle at this point is how itchy he is from whatever the mites are that they all have. The adult dogs have all started treatment (ivermectin and revolution). He is way too little for ivermectin but will start revolution towards the end of the week assuming the adults respond well to it. The vet isn`t sure exactly what type of mite they have, but ruled out a fungal cause and so is treating them in a similar way to how they treat sarcoptic mange.

Anyway, photos! No action shots, he was moving too fast and they were all blurry.

Looking like a poodle

Getting sleepy on my lap

Enjoying a good scratch (poor little guy)

Lying neatly on my mom`s legs

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwh!!!!!!
I'm so excited for you!!!
:D :D :D
I can't believe I missed you finding a puppy!!
hes adorable!!

I love the photo of him on your moms legs he looks like a little lamb upside down XDD
gorgeous boy!!
have you picked a name?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Very precious!! Have you determined this one is yours?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
He is very cute :) !

I will keep my fingers crossed that those awful mites just DIE !!!! !

Would you consider sending a sample to more competent lab for the exam ?:rolffleyes: It sounds strange to me that Vet could not recognize the species. :(So, the treatment he suggested is "try and see ":rolffleyes: ???

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Puppy Time!!! I bet you are so anxious to get the little guy home. He is just the cutest thing. Sweet little face!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is very cute :) !

I will keep my fingers crossed that those awful mites just DIE !!!! !

Would you consider sending a sample to more competent lab for the exam ?:rolffleyes: It sounds strange to me that Vet could not recognize the species. :(So, the treatment he suggested is "try and see ":rolffleyes: ???
Yes, me too! It's very difficult to diagnose sarcoptic mange (and other types of mite conditions). Many skin scrapings have been done on the dogs and the only mite found was a demodex mite, which this isn't because it has spread from dog to dog, which doesn't happen with demodectic mange.

So much of the time vets treat for sarcoptic mange once they have ruled out other things and will only know if it was in fact sarcoptic mange if the dog responds to treatment! That's why it's taken the vet some time to actually start treatment on the dogs, even though they have been scratching for a while now.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwh!!!!!!
I'm so excited for you!!!
:D :D :D
I can't believe I missed you finding a puppy!!
hes adorable!!

I love the photo of him on your moms legs he looks like a little lamb upside down XDD
gorgeous boy!!
have you picked a name?
Thanks! The top choice name at the moment is Darcy, but it all depends on if I like how it feels once I actually start using it. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very precious!! Have you determined this one is yours?
Pretty much... As long as everything works out with the mites. :) And assuming all goes well with the temperament testing next week-end! I'm cautiously excited!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh wow what a cutie!! I loove the pics of him snuggling on your laps, especially that last one, LOL! Sorry to hear about the mites, I hope they get treated! That's so awful that they all have mites, and the vet can't even ID the species. ): Good luck!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Humbug !!!!! : ((( Nasty creatures !!!! :yell:

I did some reading and found this among other things :

Abstract
Canine scabies is a challenging disease to diagnose because sarcoptic mites are hard to find on skin scrapings. The purpose of this study was to evaluate a serologic enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) as an aid in the diagnosis of canine scabies. In addition, serum samples were obtained post treatment to determine the duration and persistence of circulating scabies antibodies after resolution of natural infection. Nineteen dogs diagnosed with sarcoptic mange and 38 control dogs were tested. Sixteen scabies-infested dogs showed positive pretreatment ELISA results (84.2% sensitivity). Thirty-four control dogs showed negative ELISA results (89.5% specificity). In the 11 scabies dogs from which multiple post treatment serum samples were obtained, detectable antibodies were not present 1 month after treatment in four cases, but were present for 1-4.5 months post treatment in seven dogs. Our results suggest that this scabies ELISA test is useful in the diagnosis of canine scabies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that there are some blood tests that detect antibody presence for Scabies in dogs .

Can you ask your Vet about those ???

Also , it seems that Sarcoptic mange sub-species , although preferring one type of a host, can sometimes "jump" to other host :scared:- so wash your hands and clothing well !

Oh boy LOL, I am itching all over now LMAO

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Wow so here is the little one, such a cutie and Darcy is very pretty name. I keep my fingers crossed for you, so everything will go well, he gets rid of the mites soon and will go home with you :hug-right:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
He is looking very handsome!! I do hope all goes well with the temperament testing and he is yours forever. Must be hard waiting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Awhhh, he is so cute. Darcy is a nice name. Did they get the mites from the mother dog? That is too bad. Hopefully they will go away before you bring him home.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts