Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv seen a 6 month old poodle in a petshop i know i shouldnt buy from a pet shop but he looks healthy and so sad,I havent bought him yet because i wanted to ask advice first.
I asked the petshop owner why he is 6 months old,he said because he bought them cheaper because of their age.
What do you guys think?/how hard will it be to toilet train a 6 month old??easy or hard or no different to a tiny puppy?the man said he is peeing and pooing on paper?

Help??? I shall have to buy him tomorrow if im going to have him.
Thank you

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Iv seen a 6 month old poodle in a petshop i know i shouldnt buy from a pet shop but he looks healthy and so sad,I havent bought him yet because i wanted to ask advice first.
I asked the petshop owner why he is 6 months old,he said because he bought them cheaper because of their age.
What do you guys think?/how hard will it be to toilet train a 6 month old??easy or hard or no different to a tiny puppy?the man said he is peeing and pooing on paper?

Help??? I shall have to buy him tomorrow if im going to have him.
Thank you

Please do not buy from a petshop. I know it seems sad and you want to save them but most of these puppies come from puppy mills or BYB's.

He may seem healthy but you do not know if his parents where healthy dogs as adults. You will not see any genetic diseases until he is mature.

I am sure we can all help you find a good breeder to get a puppy from.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what your saying and i wouldnt normally even think about it,but i went in to buy a new dogs bed and saw him looking at me with sad eyes I dont want to leave him there its cruel :( what can i do :(

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That's soo sad. I understand where both of you are coming from. Thats exactly why I can't even shop at store's that sell puppies. I can't take seeing them and I want to tell of the pet store employee's for what they are doing.

Its hard because they are a animal thats already produced and needs a change from a crappy life of living in a pet store window. Also, if you buy it then it's profit to the person who bred that dog to keep producing more.

Its very sad either way. Save the puppy and then burn down the pet store. lol

Im just kidding everyone !!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you also tell me how young can i get a males balls chopped??As if i get this pup i need to do it asap,any advice really,I want to save his life.
Its not fair he is in the pet shop.
Can i train him to be clean or is it too late?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Be aware that the owner of the shop will tell you anything in order to make a sale. They will tell you that the dog is housebroken, or almost so, or that the dog is this or that, or come up for excuses for why the dog is still there.

A six month old may well take longer to house train and may also take longer to bond if it has been in a kennel all its life. It takes long enough to get an older puppy/adult to get settle into your life and routine even if they were a pet in someones home, let alone one that has never been socialized at all.

I completely understand your feeling for the puppy, I too let my heart lead me into purchasing a pup from a pet shop I get my pet products from. My sister and I had our mom out for the day (she has alzhiemer's and is in a nursing home) and she fell in love with the pup and since he was a toy poodle I felt that it would be perfect for taking him to see her. He turned out to be perfect for traveling and nursing home visiting as I figured by his personality he would. BUT......

As much as I love this guy to death (yes, it is Jester, my toy poo boy) and would not trade him for any other dog in the world, I will never, ever do it again. He did have fleas and gave tap worms to my other dog and cats and my sister's dogs and it went through all of them which we had to pay a lot of money for the special meds to get rid of the tap worms. All of our dogs/cats are always on flea/tick monthly drops, but his fleas biting them (before they died) passed it on. Other than having his pedigree and pics of his parents, I know nothing about his background or parents and thus know nothing about if I may have problems down the road. The place this pet shop gets their pups from is monitored by the FDA and I checked on them and found that they were put down as a clean facility with cared for dogs... BUT, I know, with honest thinking, that that does NOT mean that the parents are given the individual attention that they deserve, nor does it mean that the parents may not pass down hereditary problems. I feel guilty that I fell for what my heart said and not my mind and would never do this again. I absolutely despise puppy mills and should NEVER have purchased from the pet shop. Even though I would not trade Jester for any other dog at this time, if I were to go back in time, I would not purchase him for the simple reason that I know that it only perpetuates those breeders to breed more and thus have adults that are not loved and cared for as they should be (and in most cases, the parents are horrifically treated and only kept in cages to be bred) Yes, if any of you want to flame me, I understand, and I have my suit on. :shot:

All of my sister's and my standard poodles have come from good breeders that their dogs live in the house with them and the parents are tested. I highly, HIGHLY suggest that you take this route and you will never regret it. You will get to see the parents, get to know the background of your new friend, and will not be perpetuating BYB if they can't sell their pups. Obviously the decision is up to you, but having fallen into this 'going with the heart over the mind' decision myself, I can say that going to a breeder that has their breeders as house pets/companions is the best way to get any puppy!! I hope you reconsider this and look for a breeder around you. I am not saying that that 6 month old doesn't deserve a loving home also, only that every time a puppy gets sold from a pet shop, the places that supply these puppies are able to breed more and thus put more dogs into awful living conditions. Take it from someone who fell into the trap and regrets having done that. BTW, Jester has been neutered, he will always be my loving sweet boy buy I will never do that again!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im so torn over this my mind is saying no but my heart is saying yes,i cant stop thinking about how he was looking at me :(

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't want to sound harsh - but if you buy this puppy, you ARE keeping puppy mills alive. Think of this puppy's parents. Who knows what space they are kept in, what filth they may be forced to live in, what does their coat look like?
It is sad for this puppy to be in the petstore, but really - he is not the one that is truly suffering here. If you buy him - you have voted with your money to keep his parents in the conditions they are in. Our money is our voice and our vote. It is what REALLY speaks. Please don't vote for a puppymill by buying this dog.
The harder it is for stores to sell their puppies, THAT is the way the owners are going to listen and stop ordering more.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I don't want to sound harsh - but if you buy this puppy, you ARE keeping puppy mills alive. Think of this puppy's parents. Who knows what space they are kept in, what filth they may be forced to live in, what does their coat look like?
It is sad for this puppy to be in the petstore, but really - he is not the one that is truly suffering here. If you buy him - you have voted with your money to keep his parents in the conditions they are in. Our money is our voice and our vote. It is what REALLY speaks. Please don't vote for a puppymill by buying this dog.
The harder it is for stores to sell their puppies, THAT is the way the owners are going to listen and stop ordering more.
I agree I am so happy that my local mall in Beverly Hills shut down its petshop inside the mall. We had protesters and we got people to stop buying from them. The pet shops have become smarter, so smart that the people do not know these dogs comes from puppymills. They will post a breeders name and location to make the buyers believe they got the dog from a breeder. No reputable breeder would sell to a petshop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can not tell by looking at a dog if it is healthy.

There are so many genetic issues that come from poor breeding (blindness, lameness, diabetes, ectopic ureter, more)

The age of the dog is probably due to the original breeder not selling the pup and handling them over to the pet shop to clear them out.

There is nothing cuter than a pup in a pet shop though, I must admit!:love:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to tell you all a story.

There was once a reputable breeder of oriental and siamese cats,well spoken of,her cats were champions and grand champions.
You couldnt get a nicer person or so i thought.

Well as the story goes,there was a kitten she had recommended to me,said he was of the top most show quality,so i ventured out on the 3 hour drive to see the kittens.
She had 15 cats some were pregnant others not.A stud cat in a room of his own.All tidy and clean looking.
She showed me the kitten she said would do well on the show bench,so i reserved him,i kept in touch with this lady through the kitten growing up week by week.
Then it was time to collect him,after 3 days of having him home he started to sneeze and was sneezing blood,and not looking too well,so i took him to the vet and was given antibiotics,my other 3 siamese cats got this illness too,one of which got really ill she was a hand fed kitten i had from a accidental litter of 3(other 2 babies have gone to my best friend and my mum)I kept the baby as she was the runt and i nearly lost her as she wasnt feeding.Anyway to get back to the story she got sick and had to have some shots to help her on the road to recovery it took months,the kitten i got from this breeder i had since found out one of the litter mates had died and 2 of the others had been very ill like mine also i found out it was a mother to son breeding which i would not have had such a kitten.
I wasnt told this,also they had all had clymidia as kittens another thing that had been kept from me.
So many people had told me cut my losses and rehome this kitten,but no i wouldnt it wasnt his fault.
After time he got the runs and his stolls were never solid so he had biopsys and found to have a irritable bowl as well and also he has a protruding sterum and obviously can never be shown.
This cat cost me a lot of money to buy plus the vets expenses.
Now to me this breeder was no better that a glorified byb i was very disapointed.
Now all my cats are well this cat is on a speacil diet of which he has to stay on all his life.
Now this pet shop can be one of two things puppys are byb,or a breeder who couldnt sell the pups hence there were 2.
How can you ever really know if some one is reputable or not??My spirits were very low after that happening top me,
so that is the moral of the story which is better?I see niether.
I dont know what im going to do about this puppy,i am going to go back and take a friend with me who will tell me if im doing the wrong thing,I shall see what he is like with me i shall sit on the floor i will soon know if this puppy can be saved.
I hope what ever i decide that I will get your blessing.
I love animals and hate to see suffering maybe i will win the lottery one day and open a rescue that would be a nice thought.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We all know she is going to get this puppy so lets not put it down lets show her how to train an older boy lets love him like we love all poodles and if he gets sick if he has problems we will help her with those that arise.

Who can resist sweet pitiful puppy dog eyes and this puppy did nothing to deserve the crappy start in life he got be we can all help through this site make sure the rest of his life is wonderful

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We all know she is going to get this puppy so lets not put it down lets show her how to train an older boy lets love him like we love all poodles and if he gets sick if he has problems we will help her with those that arise.

Who can resist sweet pitiful puppy dog eyes and this puppy did nothing to deserve the crappy start in life he got be we can all help through this site make sure the rest of his life is wonderful
Wonderfully said, you have a beautiful heart. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lovely sentiment Mandycasey'smom BUT I can't help thinking then we too are perpetuating the pet shop purchase. All I can say is - pagan-poodle if you won't take the good advice from this forum about NOT purchasing this puppy then I can't see why you would take further good advice about raising, training and the health problems which may arise.

Save your concern for the dogs living in puppy mills, because if you buy this pup YOU are responsible, first hand, for contributing to their misery and keeping dogs in these conditions. If you don't know what it is your supporting by buying this pup Google puppy mills and take a look at the photos.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Blue Fox - I completely agree with you. The story of a bad breeder (which is sad, I'm sorry it happened) doesn't change the fact that puppy mills need to be stopped.
It is one thing to make an uninformed decision - it is another to know facts and ignore them.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Blue Fox - I completely agree with you. The story of a bad breeder (which is sad, I'm sorry it happened) doesn't change the fact that puppy mills need to be stopped.
It is one thing to make an uninformed decision - it is another to know facts and ignore them.
I also agree

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm with you on that gwtmum2. Look I'm no saint, I too have been the culprit of buying a pet shop pup back when I was 16 years old and didn't know the difference. Ignorance is bliss as they say, but now I am informed and it is making me really quite angry that we are thinking about glossing over this purchase - IT IS WRONG and sugar coating it for the sake of being polite is not going to prevent the further pain and suffering of puppy mill dogs!

It really is very simple if everyone ignored the pleading eyes of the pet shop puppy and no more where sold, not one more puppy, the pet shops would not buy these dogs from the puppy mills. It's supply and demand - no demand from the buying public and hence the pet shops, means they will stop breeding them.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
There is this petshop in another mall by my school and every time my friends and I go in there the puppies are always sick.

I always try to help people finding the right breeder Instead of going the petshop route.

I know you want the puppy but I advise that you don't buy him or her.
With the money of buying that puppy you could have saved a dog from the shelter who will lose its life soon.

I noticed you live in the UK here is a great start on more info about Poodles

http://standardpoodleclub.com/welcome.html
http://www.poodlecouncil.co.uk/

here is a complete list of clubs to find breeders
http://www.poodlecouncil.co.uk/breedclubs.htm

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have a question for the breeders on this forum. Are you AKC registered? Do you finish your dogs' championship before breeding your them? Are your dogs health tested before they are bred?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
So sad :(

I have a question for the breeders on this forum. Are you AKC registered? Do you finish your dogs' championship before breeding your them? Are your dogs health tested before they are bred?
I breed a different breed - but will answer your questions anyway
Breeders aren't AKC registered - the dogs are so no
You can register your kennel name so nobody else can use it within your breed but it's expensive and not worth the expense. AKC has a right to inspect anyone breeding and registering AKC puppies so being a registered kennel matters not. It is just a way of staking claim to your kennel name.
Yes to the championships
Yes to the health testing - I wish everyone did complete health testing

This is such a sad story, I feel bad for the puppy too... I guess you have to pick the lesser of two evils.
1) Leave the puppy there for somebody else to buy and avoid supporting a possible puppymill or irresponsible breeder.
2) Purchase the puppy and give him a great home and wonderful life with the knowledge that because he was pruchased the petshop is encouraged beacuse they made the sell, and you've made room for yet another puppy from the same breeder to take his place. It's a pretty straightforward process. Petstore stock puppies as products just like anything else they sell. Once a product leaves the store another one is on order to take it's place.

It isn't ideal either way you slice it :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts