Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yin-Yin is home!

We brought her home yesterday, and boy she is a handful! The breeder told us that she was in the running to be kept as a show dog. That must mean she's quite the pretty girl! She's 4lbs rn, the biggest girl in her litter.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Companion dog

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

One of her most remarkable features so far is that she is very quiet. I don’t think I’ve heard her bark yet, just whimper. It's shocking, but in a good way!

As was to be expected, she’s having a hard time being away from her family. She fluctuates between energetic/curious and stressed whimpering. And she acts like we're killing her if we're out of her line of sight, poor thing.

She's also a little too brave! She got scared going down some stairs, and on the last two steps she just JUMPED, like she was trying to conquer her fear! The poor baby startled herself with her own stunt, but I think she's okay. Worst case scenario, I'm taking her to the vet on Monday so we can see if she got notably injured.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
What a sweet little thing. She does look scared, but she will settle in quickly, I’m sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a sweet little thing. She does look scared, but she will settle in quickly, I’m sure.
She started whimpering the second we stepped away from her family, and she cried half of the way home :(. Being alone is definitely something she's not used to. Her breeder said she always slept with her brother. But it seems like she's settling into her new home and new family pretty well so far.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
She’s so cute, I love her big paws that she will grow into.

She's also a little too brave! She got scared going down some stairs, and on the last two steps she just JUMPED, like she was trying to conquer her fear!
I didn’t let my minipoo puppy go on stairs when we first got home (He was 10 weeks old). He had two steps from the front door to the lawn, those he learned to do at 11 weeks, prior to that he was carried.

At 11 weeks he could get up two steps so I blocked off indoor stairs. It’s easier for puppies to go upstairs and harder, even dangerous for them to go down until they have the muscles and the coordination. I can’t remember exactly how old Theo was when I let him go upstairs, maybe 14 weeks? Once he was solid going up I trained him to go down. Training down meant putting him up one step and encouraging him to jump down. Then two steps, then three etc. He had a tendency when he got near the bottom to jump over the last two steps so I kept a leash on him going downstairs and used it and my body to force him go down each step.

He was also trying to get up on the couch like my older minipoo and I had concerns of him falling off. I taught him that he couldn’t jump down, I had to lift him off. Once he was going downstairs properly I let him jump off the couch. I have wood floors; in front of beds and couches I have bath mats with a non slip surface for safe takeoffs and landings.

Here’s a post I made asking experience of others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She’s so cute, I love her big paws that she will grow into.

I didn’t let my minipoo puppy go on stairs when we first got home (He was 10 weeks old). He had two steps from the front door to the lawn, those he learned to do at 11 weeks, prior to that he was carried.

At 11 weeks he could get up two steps so I blocked off indoor stairs. It’s easier for puppies to go upstairs and harder, even dangerous for them to go down until they have the muscles and the coordination. I can’t remember exactly how old Theo was when I let him go upstairs, maybe 14 weeks? Once he was solid going up I trained him to go down. Training down meant putting him up one step and encouraging him to jump down. Then two steps, then three etc. He had a tendency when he got near the bottom to jump over the last two steps so I kept a leash on him going downstairs and used it and my body to force him go down each step.

He was also trying to get up on the couch like my older minipoo and I had concerns of him falling off. I taught him that he couldn’t jump down, I had to lift him off. Once he was going downstairs properly I let him jump off the couch. I have wood floors; in front of beds and couches I have bath mats with a non slip surface for safe takeoffs and landings.

Here’s a post I made asking experience of others.

Yeah, ever since that fall we've just been carrying her down stairs. Sometimes we let her go up, but for the most part we've been carrying. Thank you for the heads up and insight.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I carried my spoo down the stairs until 14 or 16 weeks also. It’s just not worth the risk, to me, when they’re so uncoordinated.

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
What a lovely puppy! Everything is new, and with time and a routine, she’s going to be more confident. Congratulations on your pretty girl!

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Have you run across or been directed to the Pandemic Puppy Primer (good for any time, not just pandemics :)) put together by Liz? There's a lot of excellent info here.

Reactions: PowersPup

·
Registered
426 Posts
She is so pretty! It’s early days so be kind to yourself—you are both learning. I’ve had puppy blues at times since we got Hugo at the end of March but everything really does get easier over time. One of the most fun things I did with him in the early somewhat stressful period was to take him to puppy socialization when he was fully vaccinated at 16 weeks. Seeing him with other puppies gave me real insight into who he is (a wonderful Mr. Congeniality). I highly recommend looking for something like this in your area.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baby girl definitely feels at home now. I'm starting to wonder if she thinks her name is Baby because that's usually what I call her 😂.

She is still quiet as a mouse. She only barks when she's cranky (overstimulated, hungry, startled), and I can still count on my fingers the number of times she's barked. I think she's sensitive to noise, if not just quiet by nature. She doesn't even care for squeakers.

We picked her up at an extremely noisy fairgrounds, so part of me wonders if she was traumatized by that. At least she tolerates my family's loud kitchen noises and talking. She even sleeps through it all.

It's hard to get pictures of her since she's so active and squirmy! But I think these blurry action shots capture her personality perfectly :).

Comfort Fur clothing Fawn Flooring Wood

I took her out to meet some friends and she was so, so good. So friendly and affectionate, if a little teethy (which was to be expected). Everyone was in love with her. We had lunch outside and she was perfectly content to just sleep in my lap. Such an angel.

Dog Carnivore Sleeve Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Sleeve Dog breed Carnivore Grey

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been so busy I haven't even had time to update this thread :(

Yin is doing very well. We have our ups and downs but overall she's a very good girl. Last week, I noticed she was smiling a lot more. It makes me so happy. I think that means she's really at home with my family now :).

A picture of her going nuts when I came home from work. I think it's my favorite picture of her to date:
Primate Dog breed Carnivore Felidae Pet supply

The baby girl also had her first thunderstorm a few days ago. She was so scared, poor thing. She's sensitive as it is to loud noises so the thunderstorm rattled her up. Although, I did get this very hilarious picture of her after she ran into a puddle:
Dog Tire Wheel Automotive tire Carnivore

1 - 20 of 29 Posts