Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum Friends,

Omigosh, puppies! An adorable and delightful way to spend pretty much ALL of your free time. I'm starting a 52 weeks thread for Violet, but I have no delusions of actually getting all 52 weeks captured here.

Violet is playful, confident, active, beautiful, loving, and silly. It has taken two adults and a 15-year-old (and an 18-year-old occasionally home from school and social life) to raise her these last two weeks. She is now sleeping through the night at 11 weeks old.

Potty training is going okay. A LOT of effort has been put into potty training- I have never spent so much time in my backyard at all hours and in all kinds of weather. I have learned that right before she poops there is a mad run followed by a few hops, and then she gifts me with a poop. I have also learned that if both my husband and I take her to her potty area and exclaim over her (how cute she is!! Haha, look at that hop!) then we distract her and she can't do her business. The little lady requires some peace and quiet to get the job done.

Navy (my older dog) has lost his horrified expression, but frequently stares at me with the hairy eyeball as if to say "she's leaving soon, right?" However, he will play with her a little bit. She is in awe of him- and desperately wants his attention. He gives her about 2 minutes of positive attention a day- ha. Basically I feel like this part of a new puppy is going well. As far as Spanky the old pug goes, we keep them mostly separated because she pesters him too much.

Okay, now for some pictures:

6 weeks:

Gotcha Day at 9 weeks:

First week home:

She's got toys:

I just can't get over how beautiful she is:

Toe beans!

My house is in shambles, but puppy is having a good time:

Violet's interactive toy box (it was fun for 20 minutes):

Teaching her how to take a selfie. She has booped my phone screen several times- but so far has not made any international calls.

Violet is all the about the FUN in life:

I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving! If I'm slow to respond, know that I am probably busy racing after a puppy in between bites of pumpkin pie.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my Violet update. She is now 4 months old, but the photos range in time over the last month or so. I have not been successful YET in training her to accept face shaves from me, but tomorrow is her first professional groom so I'll probably post more then. Raising a puppy is sweet exhausting work. She is definitely an energetic girl, but knows how to settle. Her nightly zoomies keep us laughing. Luckily, when we pop her into her crate at night beside our bed she settles down and sleeps through.

Favorite toys: a cat tunnel that she tries to wrestle into submission, a ball on a rope, a babble ball, a flirt pole and a rather large raccoon with squeakers and crinkle-sounds.

Just this week she figured out how to go in and out the dog door. For those with concerns, she only has access to the room with the dog door on monitored occasions and it leads to a smallish tightly fenced area where she is also monitored.

She weighed in at 7 lbs at the vet's last week. The vet estimates her adult weight to be 10 lbs. Her breeder had estimated the adult weight to be 13-15 lbs when we picked Violet up at 9 weeks. My personal guess is 13 lbs. It will be interesting to see where she ends up. I'm sure I'll think her size is perfect whatever it is. I have given up on trying to measure her height for the time being. Her official puppy height is "bouncy."

She and Navy have been playing. Navy tires of this before she does. I am happy with their level of friendship for now, though I am still doing a lot of managing by separating with gates. This is mainly so Navy doesn't get harrassed by her puppy exuberance.

Her obedience training is progressing. The hardest thing has been teaching down. For now I am having to lure her into position by having her crawl under my outstretched leg to get a cookie. I can get her to stay down (under my leg) for a series of slow cookies but I have not been able to fade the leg. We will get there eventually.

7FFF719A-123B-42A0-BA2A-CCDDE4846D5C_1_201_a.jpeg

3BE4F0E0-750B-4636-8C29-1BDFEF038DA5.jpeg
AAB66C2B-3A7A-4457-9CB2-07C6F63D92CC_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Those eyes! She's adorable now, gonna be beautiful after the trim :).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Violet's first professional groom was today. She did great. We have a couple "home groom" mistakes to grow out, but I think the groomer did a nice job with our wiggly girl.
13BFE69B-E233-4BF6-85C5-8BF3CB40A251.jpeg
AEC8ED1F-E8AF-4D9B-B8E9-D5AE85C9D2A2.jpeg
91902C33-494D-4D9B-9062-33B2617DFCF4.jpeg
B0643347-9D2E-451D-82B6-F30B454DC547.jpeg
5EF6AA62-0F07-4BA0-AEC1-98D569E661DB.jpeg

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Violet at 18 weeks. The park was full of bluebirds this morning. One tried to land on my open car door and ended up fluttering in my face for a beautiful startling moment.
CB7602BC-5675-4CFF-B446-23548D49DA88.jpeg

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, Mfmst. I’m looking forward to many more beach runs with her. We were supposed to go last weekend, but were scared away by gale force winds. Which is better than being blown away...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think so too, FW. She is still pretty small, about 8 lbs, but she looks towering in this pic- lol.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hey, y’all. I went to the beach and RAN.

I sniffed many nice new smells.

I asked for cookies and got “hotdog”-it was good!

My brother tried to keep up with me, but I’m pretty sure I went twice as far, twice as fast.

This was right after a thundering herd of labradors came to visit unexpectedly.

I might have sand on my nose and back hair like Chewbacca, but I’m living my best life here at the beach. Come play with me!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts