Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so before some people say, she’s not a puppy!.... let me just say I read the rules f the forum and it said it could be any new dog you get, and it doesn’t have to be a puppy. So thank you all for understanding and bearing with me.

I’d like to do this so I can keep a record of her, and how she changeds over the next year. I just hope we don’t watch her get fat

So Stella is a poodle Pomeranian mix. She was born June 6, 2012. I adopted her 5 weeks ago. She has already changed from a hyperactive, ADD and OCD dog, to one who players a few times a day for regulated times, and has learned to chill the rest of the time. She now listens carefully to me and has just come a long way. (I have a had thread about her in Other Animals, titled Stella’s Breakthroughs.)

Here are some pics of her over the last 5 weeks.

That is her barking at Zekefur because he stole her ball!

She is not going to let him steal that one!

She figured this out quickly

And here she is with her brother and sister

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
So how's her hearing? :aetsch:

Ah, I couldn't resist!

Stella is a cutie, and it speaks volumes that she's come so far since the brief time you adopted her, although not surprising since both poodles and terriers tend to be very bright. I really like the shot of her with your other two dogs, she really shines.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how's her hearing? :aetsch:

Ah, I couldn't resist!.

OMG she hears EVERYTHING, and then I hear about it hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I think you were smart to start a 52 week thread. Older dogs in new homes take time to settle in so you will see many changes over the next several months, not just the first few weeks but they will be more subtle ones. My Babykins was almost a year old when I got her and it was fun to watch her as she became more relaxed and used to the new routine.

Stella has stellar ears. They look even larger than a Pomeranian? Her fur looks almost like poodle fur except on her head and tail. Do you have to cut it like poodle hair? She is adorable and has a wonderful sweet expression.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you were smart to start a 52 week thread. Older dogs in new homes take time to settle in so you will see many changes over the next several months, not just the first few weeks but they will be more subtle ones. My Babykins was almost a year old when I got her and it was fun to watch her as she became more relaxed and used to the new routine.

Stella has stellar ears. They look even larger than a Pomeranian? Her fur looks almost like poodle fur except on her head and tail. Do you have to cut it like poodle hair? She is adorable and has a wonderful sweet expression.

Thank you. And yes, her ears are much larger than on Pomeranians. Her fur does look more like poodle hair and she does have to be cut every 3-4 months. In the 6 weeks I’ve had her, it has only grown not even half an inch. Probably half that. But her ears and tail grow more quickly I’ve noticed. And she is just as sweet as her expressions.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mo pics this time, but Stellar has had a couple of firsts.

She had been sleeping with by herself in the living room. Although. a couple of times she slept with us in bed. And if I slept in my chair out in the living room, she would sleep in her blanket in the end if the couch.

Three days ago I fell, and had to sleep in my chair with my leg propped up, and she slept the entire evening and all night with me and Zeke in the chair! That was a first, second and third.

Up until yesterday, she had never stepped foot on Zeke bed, I guess cause he was the scary one. But now she plays in it, lays down in it etc. I am glad she is finally comfortable enough with Zeke to do that!

I wanted to record these... so they be, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to put in that Stella, as of 3 days ago has been wearing her vibrating, no bark collar. She had learned it wouldn’t hurt her and she could bark through the vibrations if she was so inclined. I had been using the quiet command and praise and treats once accomplished.

This is the 3rd day she has been with no collar in at all. She hasn’t gone crazy barking yet! She gets quiet, sometimes not so quickly, but close enough where the dogs are not egging each other on,. she is not perfect, but we are still working in it.

She has made such progress... again in a short amount of time!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn’t resist posting her pic for this week. Her old owner said to groom her every 4 months. While her body is barely 1/2” long, her head and face are kinda wild looking. So unkempt!

Guess she’s going to the groomer soon...

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I think she is just adorable! You can keep her face cleaner by combing those eye goobers out with a small metal flea comb, and wiping down her face with a doggy wipe. If you are brave enough, get a pair of shears and learn to clip her face inbetween trips to the groomer! There are lots of utube videos to show you how to do a terrier face! She has a face that I would never shave like a poodle though..... she is cute as a button just as she is!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think she is just adorable! You can keep her face cleaner by combing those eye goobers out with a small metal flea comb, and wiping down her face with a doggy wipe. If you are brave enough, get a pair of shears and learn to clip her face inbetween trips to the groomer! There are lots of utube videos to show you how to do a terrier face! She has a face that I would never shave like a poodle though..... she is cute as a button just as she is!

She is actually poodle/Pomeranian mix. Sadly, my terrier mix viciously attacked Zekefur last Saturday and hung onto him like a small pit bull. She is going to a new home in a few days with an older woman who wants a companion. Dory will be so happy there being the only pet! She is now at my friend’s home so she can’t hurt either Zeke or Stella.

When I was younger and had my first poodle I tried my hand at grooming at a shop. The groomer watched me patiently for a long time. When I announced I was done she said, “Ok. May I fix him now?”

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I just meant her head is in a 'terrier like a Yorkie or a Westie' style clip, as a reference LOL! Her body & legs are totally poodle! I LOVE her ears they look more like a Papillon than a Pom LOL!! She is a great mix!!

I think you are right to rehome the terrier..........everybody will be much happier I'm sure! I had Cairns and being terriers they are quite possessive and picky about who they allow in their social circle! Terriers can be scrappy for sure!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere that dogs who greet you at the door when coming home with a toy, ball, whatever, means they are happy dogs. Zeke has done this since he was a puppy.

When I get home, Stella meets me at the door for 2 seconds and runs and gets a toy and gets in my recliner and waits for me. She is so wiggly and I can barely get a pet in! She also woofs at me once she hears my car alarm set. It is such a joy, between the two of them, to come home after a long night at work!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Her face is so adorable! Glad the older rescue dogs have some representation in the 52 weeks area :) I wish I had started a thread for Miracle...this is her "gotcha" week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So it's been a year since you got Miracle? Congrats!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Such a sweet, playful face! Just darling she is.:angel:

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today end week number 7;that I’ve had Stella. She has come so far it just boggles my mind! So since last week, she has slept with me almost every night! 1 night I fell asleep in my chair without reclining and Zeke stole my lap, and she slept on the other chair. Other than that, she’s been with us overnight.

A HUGE step, just in the past few days...
She had in a humane (vibrating) no bark collar, but had learned she could bark through the levels of vibration without it hurting her. So that is what she started doing.

I took the collar off, cut lunch meat up into tiny pieces and then put it next to my chair. I loaded the word “quiet.” Quiet,treat then gave her the treat. I did this many times, one right after the other. Just like loading a clicker.

So when she barked, would simply say “Quiet, Treat” and she’d come over and get her treat. After a couple of days I decided to see how long she would bark without my intervention. With the exception of someone being at the door, she slows down on her own! But still gets the jackpot treats!

And just to show how this worked for Zekefur, I loaded him up on the command also. He was getting the treat whether he barked or not. I can’t give one a treat and not the other! Now, he pretty much doesn’t bark at all. When Stella barks, he stands beside me and waits for the treat lol!

I’m having a little trouble getting her to eat. She was eating well twice a day. (Her old owners would leave food out and she would eat bits whenever she wanted.) I was mixing in chicken broth, or a little cottage cheese and she ate like a champ.

In the last few days she started leaving some food in the bowl, no matter how much I cut the amount down. I decided it was finally time to put her on dry food only. She has gained a little bit of weight, and I feel like she is finally at her perfect weight. She was a little thin when I got her. She was also active, heavily, the entire day.

Now with her enjoying relaxing, laying on my lap, playing lightly and at much lower speeds throughout the day, I understand she just doesn’t need as much food. I’ve decided tough love is the way to go. I know a dog won’t starve itself and will eat when it get hungry enough. I’ve decided to cut the overall amount down, and offer it to her 3 times daily instead of twice. I’ll do the same with Zeke also. He won’t mind getting his puzzle ball an extra time, even if there’s less food.

If any of you have better ideas, please let me know!

So all in all it’s been a very good week! I got a babble ball, and while she is very intrigued by listening to it, she doesn’t push it around to make it talk, laugh, burp, etc.

Here’s a couple of pics of her in her new fave spot.

Not spoiled at all

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to add... since I I’ve had her, if I reach for her ball she lunges at it and snatches it away. Unless I’m quick, she will kind of bite me. Not to bite, just to grab the ball in her mouth, and my fingers would pay the Consequences! I just never addressed it before as I taught her to drop it either in my chair or in the basket next to me so it hasn’t been an issue. Until last night.

I reached for her ball in the floor and it happened. Now, the response I had was a knee jerk one because it hurt! And it’s not a recommended one either. Immediately I leaned down, she was right in front of me: I loudly shouted NO! Dint you ever do that again!!!”

I felt bad immediately, but next time I went to grab it she backed away. This morning, I just went to grab it, and while she lunged at it, she had an easy mouth. I hope that keeps up, although I’ll do some reward training for these times.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stella is a smart girl but she needed the right person to help draw out her real personality and abilities!

Thank you! It’s been a struggle sometimes, and others just so frustrating! But I don’t regret a minute of it: wouldn’t trade a single second for anything else!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts