Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet Sachii.

I am thrilled! He's my 12 week old toy poodle, and how he came into my life is a strange story. My breeder called unexpectedly late last week. She had considered keeping him but she'd been furloughed for a month, like many others particularly in my area. On Friday the Shutdown ended temporarily for the next three weeks. I asked if she were sure before visiting, and she said yes since there's still uncertainty for federal workers.

Thus, Sachii is a Shutdown baby.

I had my dogsitter drive me to my breeder's place on Saturday; this was so I could hold the puppy on the drive home so that his first car ride would a calm experience.

So I checked out the little guy and his mom. They are just beautiful and the temperaments are so easy going and friendly. I think he's going to look and be chill just like her. Here's a pic of the two on Gotcha Day, with Sachii on the right:

I named him the next day, and wanted a unique name, which is pronounced Sah-chee. Both parents are Champions; three of the four grandparents are champions and a Grand Champion. He comes from great lines and both parents are clear of all genetic conditions.

Learning from past mistakes:

1) When I got Bella back in late October 2017, I drove alone to the breeder's. On the ride back, she panicked in her new carrybag and barked and howled enough to wake the dead. To this day she's anxious in cars, although she's okay in the carrybag as long as I'm holding it. Thus with Sachii, I avoided that boo-boo by having my friend and dogsitter drive.

2) The Crate. When I got Bella, I made a major mistake by putting her in a playpen next to my bed when I took a nap that day. She could not understand why she was apart me in a strange surrounding w/o her mom and siblings. Bella's non-stop barking could wake the dead. She still has zero tolerance for lockdowns, and I think she has Containment Phobia.

This time, after being home for few hours, I placed Sachii in the kennel cage in my LR (which has only been used as sorta table top my PS4). I then took Bella to the BR (which Sachii hadn't seen) and took an hour nap. He whined for ten minutes, but must have thought we were gone - and settled down.

When night time rolled around, I placed him back in the cage, which is big enough for bedding and a wee-wee pad. Eventually he'll sleep with me, but he's not completely housebroken, plus Bella was a little jealous and insecure. Again, he whined ten minutes, and was quiet and slept all the way thru the night!

Since then I can place him in the kennel any time with no whining when I'm sitting right next it while Bella eats first. Otherwise the plan is the two will be at the sitter's house on days I work for the next two weeks, then scale it down to three days/week and eventually back to two days/week.

Dinnertime & Playtime!

I've been keeping them apart during feeding time until Bella is really comfortable with Sachii. He wants to play with her a lot, and so far she will up to a point, then stop and want to play only with me. Well, at least both fetch the mini-tennis balls.

So that's my new puppy!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Wow, what a surprise! He is a fluffy little guy. Do you plan to start getting him used to grooming asap so that he doesn’t have some of the same grooming difficulties that Bella has? Hopefully it’s not too late as he is over 12 weeks. Did Bella come home with a fluffy face also? That’s interesting if your breeder has show dogs but doesn’t get the babies used to grooming early on. You know my advice would be to take him to a pro groomer as soon as you can, or at least start doing it yourself. You know first hand how hard it is to have a poodle that dislikes grooming. Wishing you luck with his grooming. Sounds like you have a good home routine going for him though and I’m glad he was able to ride on your lap in the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, Sachii is a delight too in addition to being a pretty ball of fluff. He has a very nice coat, thicker than Bella's was. There's something about the texture that makes me think he'll look in a puppy cut or later, in a Continental.

As for grooming - with Bella I couldn't accept this was something I couldn't do well no matter how hard I tried. That tornado-sounding HV dryer didn't help either. Even right now she's a hot mess. Oh well, can't be good at everything...

I asked the breeder how many times he had a bath, and she said three or four times. Well, he runs when he hears me use my hairdryer, so I take this as sign that even for baths, he needs to go to a groomer whether I show him or not. Last thing I want to do is traumatize little Sachii.

Btw, I heard Kaz is retiring from handling soon, not that I could afford him anyway. But still, what a loss to the dog show world if it's true.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy, he’s very cute ! I didn’t even know you were thinking about a second one...

And yes, get him groomed as soon as possible, we want to see his clean face and poodley looks !

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
He is very cute and I am sure it is lots of fun to have a new baby dog in the family.

So what are you going to do to keep them apart when Bella goes into heat? As I recall you live in an apartment. Don't want any oops babies, right?

And please deal with the grooming ASAP! If a dog is born a poodle it deserves to not have grooming be a horror show. Javelin had been bathed and had FFT groom plus nails dremeled at least three times before he came home at 9 weeks old. Not to steal from the new puppy Sachii but this was Javelin on pick day and he was groomed again ten days later for gotcha day. The only way I would have started grooming him from day one was if he was already well used to the process.

Javelin June 26.jpg

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Oh Vita, I’m so jealous. Sachii so, so, so cute. I love that you are making different choices based on your mistakes with Bella. Getting him used to grooming is important too.

Sad reason why you got him, but she made a good decision giving Sachii to you. You’re going to love and give him a wonderful life.

Reactions: Vita

·
Super Moderator
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Catherine, cute pic of Javvy! And a groomer is on my to-do list, as said earlier. Fertility bridges can be decided upon and crossed later, and I'll leave it at that.

Skylar, you mentioned how it's sad how I came to have him. I agree, and I wondered if anyone would mention that. I called her two days after she first made the offer and said I wouldn't be mad if she changed her mind given the shutdown being over for the next three weeks and hopefully really over. She said there was too much uncertainty and heaven knows how soon she'll get her back paychecks, and meanwhile has a mortgage to pay, but she thought of me first b/c she knows how good Bella has it, lol. I was very touched.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Such a cute boy but I do hope you are brushing him EVERYDAY! He needs to go to the groomer and at least get his face and feet groomed!.......avoid what happened with Bella and get him accustomed to being brushed and groomed! Happy Puppyhood!

Reactions: Dechi and Vita

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Skylar, you mentioned how it's sad how I came to have him. I agree, and I wondered if anyone would mention that. I called her two days after she first made the offer and said I wouldn't be mad if she changed her mind given the shutdown being over for the next three weeks and hopefully really over. She said there was too much uncertainty and heaven knows how soon she'll get her back paychecks, and meanwhile has a mortgage to pay, but she thought of me first b/c she knows how good Bella has it, lol. I was very touched.
At least she knows Sachii is in good care :)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
How wonderful for Sachii, you, and Bella! I can't wait to hear of your adventures :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Adorable, can’t wait too see his clean face! Looking forward to your journey.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Catherine, cute pic of Javvy! And a groomer is on my to-do list, as said earlier. Fertility bridges can be decided upon and crossed later, and I'll leave it at that.

Uh really, would any of us send our human children out into the world with no plan about responsible reproduction? I won't say anything more about this than this post since you should just put fun pics of your puppy here, but seriously, no advance planning sounds reckless to me.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts