Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
34 weeks
3/8/20-3/14/20

Lacey was supposed to start a beginning obedience and CGC course on 3/19/20. I had signed up for it about 6 weeks ago. I just found out the class is going to be canceled due to covid-19. I completely understand why, but I was really looking forward to it for us. Now it will have to wait until after Lacey has her first heat or is spayed at a year old, so that will be late summer or fall.

I‘d love for her to become a therapy dog and go to nursing homes and assisted living facilities. It might be better to wait until she’s a bit older anyway. We’ll just continue what we can at home.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your classes, but it's so much better to have them cancelled then to get sick and or spread it. Maybe you can look at training videos for now just for basic obedience?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
36 weeks
3/22/20-3/28/20

This week Lacey had surgery to get 5 deciduous teeth removed- 4 canines and 1 incisor. One of the lower adult canines was poking her hard palate. The lower canines are the only teeth that are not in the correct position. They grew on the inside of the baby canines. Hopefully they move outward to the correct position. The vet said we’ll have to wait and watch for now.

The morning of the surgery I did the admit over the phone, then handed Lacey through my car window due to Covid19 restricting pet parents from coming inside vet clinics (which seems to be the policy at all vet clinics world-wide). I’m so thankful they are still able to see our pets for emergent needs, even though it’s not the easiest situation.

The second I pulled out of the parking lot, I felt a lump rise in my throat and tears began to roll down my cheeks. I’ve never put a dog under anesthesia. I cried a good 10 minutes on the drive back, even though I felt she’d be fine.

I went to pick her up 5 hours later expecting a limp and sleepy puppy. They brought her to the car and her tail was wagging like a madwoman and she was so energetic and happy to see me. My heart filled with joy. She passed out once we got home. It took her about 5 days to fully get back to her spunky self. In the meantime I spoiled her in many ways to make it worth her while and ease my guilt. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
3/29/20-4/4/20
37 weeks

Lacey’s mouth seems to be heeling nicely. We started back up with our regular teeth brushing a week after the surgery and she’s doing as well as she did before. she just wants to get some of that delicious toothpaste and will tolerate the toothbrush for it. I got all of this canned food for her while she recovered and she rejected 3 of the 4 I gave her. She apparently prefers to eat wet kibble on her own time when she feels like it.
She suddenly seems to be going through coat change a few days after her last bath/blow dry/comb. Everywhere except her ears is suddenly impossible to comb and brush even with detangler spray.
We had what I’d consider to be a traumatic combing session this week. I took me over an hour to decently untangle her. Holy hell. Thankfully subsequent days weren’t quite so difficult. For sure she’s about to get a very short cut in the near future. Especially her legs, which I’ve continued to leave somewhat long when I groom her. I’ve been dreading the coat change shave down but I need to do it next time. Might skip the topknot this time around and let her be a little lollipop head. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
38 weeks.
4/5/20-4/11/20.

Lacey climbed out of her 2 ft high ex pen 3 times in one day. Then hasn’t done it again since. I’m contemplating if I should get a much taller one or not. because the the door is placed on the end panel, I don’t have room to be able to open and use the door. so I have to be able to step over or reach over the pen to get her out. Hmmm. At this point I still need it. If she climbs out again, I’ll figure something out.

My boyfriend and I are still working during isolation, so her life hasn’t had any changes as far as that goes. The weather was very mild this week in the upper 50s, so she got lots of extra time outside. I can’t wait until the days of cold and snow are fully behind us for the season. In week 39 the snow came and winter reared its ugly head agin.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Aww absolutely gorgeous. Somehow I missed this entire thread I think, so I just had some time scrolling thru. She is so cute and the perfect size. Now my duaghter is after me a bit at wanting to get another dog. I'm think I would like her to get a mini. LOL

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thank you! She’s my everything, I can’t wait to see her face every day I wake up.
You had lots of weeks worth of puppy pics to see if this was the first time seeing this thread! I can’t believe I’m on 38 weeks. Time flies.
I actually just replied to your post on fenris wolf’s thread where you mentioned the idea of getting a mini poodle. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
39 weeks
4/12/20-4/18/20

Coat change seems to have hit really hard within the past week. Everywhere except the ears and tail is very difficult to brush out. But the legs and top of her upper back around the shoulder blade area are impossible. I could probably brush and comb all day and still have tangles. So I did her 5th major groom. I took the legs a LOT shorter. I made a post about the groom with before and after pics in the grooming subforum.

We had a nice first this week. She finally got to run off leash outside for the first time. I took her to the outdoor hockey rink at a nearby park and let her run free. It was so awesome to see her running full speed up and down the length of the rink with her ears flying behind her. She looked like she was having a great time. I’m hoping that as the weather warms up there aren’t a lot of bees in the rink, as it seems there will be. The city I live in has more wasps/yellow jackets/hornets than anywhere I’ve ever lived.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts