Poodle Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Week 25
1/5/20-1/11/20

Holy hell, this dog was dropping teeth left and right this week! They were all “premolar” teeth, as I now learned puppies don’t have actual molars until their adult teeth come in. The first one happened while I was brushing her teeth, it just tumbled out of her mouth. One day she lost 2 teeth within hours that we physically found on the floor. The next day she lost 3. I’m sure she swallowed some of them too. This week I think she lost 6 teeth that we found. Of course I’m keeping them in a labeled ziplock bag like a creep. I still was wetting her kibble this week.

She now hasn’t had any accidents for 25 days as of 1/11/20. I’ve continued to let her ring the bell to let us know when she has to go out. Except for first thing in the morning and right before bed. She continues to sleep in her crate with attached x pen. I haven't shut the door to the crate at night for months.

I had a mishap with clipping her nails, which I’ve done several times successfully. This time I skimmed the quick of her back pinky nail. She gave a short yelp and blood started to ooze from the nail (not squirt, thankfully). I always have cornstarch right next to me just in case. I quickly and calmly packed and held it on the end of her nail, cuddled her, apologized plenty, and gave her a ton of treats. She let me finish clipping the rest as there were still 7 unclipped nails left. Such a good girl. Then later that night she was running around like crazy during play. The friction of the carpet from changing directions and the stop and go caused the clot to dislodge from the nail. Which was noticed as there will little smears of red blood on the carpet. Oops! Again I packed some cornstarch on and held it. Then cleaned up the blood with cold water and paper towels. I didn’t let her run on the carpet for a couple days to ensure the clot didn’t dislodge again.

In the second pic, she looks like a little person to me!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It’s so funny you ask! She has climbed out of the x pen once so far. And it was during week 25! A little over one week ago from today. My boyfriend wasn’t home and I was in the basement putting away the Christmas decorations. I had her in the pen so she couldn’t get a hold of all the fun decorations I was taking down and packing away.
From the basement I heard her fussing and making noise, then all of a sudden I hear the jingling of her collar tags at the top of the stairs in the living room. But she didn’t run down to the basement, probably knowing what she did was naughty. I kind of laughed about it and knew the day would come. This dog doesn’t even jump up on the couch (yet, thank god) but scaled the wire pen. I have always discouraged her when she starts to climb and I know she wouldn’t do it in front of me because...she knows...haha.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Right? I don’t even know how I’d go about that, haha! The only thing I can do now is shut her in the crate if I need to be 100% sure she won’t get out and nobody is there to watch her.
Luckily she only has to be alone about 3-4 hours a day 3 days a week and we shut her in the crate during that time already (because I always knew she’d eventually learn to escape the pen!). Thankfully she does well being crated and left alone. Someday she’ll earn free roaming of the house when she’s older.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts