Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Love her long legs and cute little button eyes! And how heart-warming that her dad is so smitten.
Thanks PeggyTheParti! Her legs have grown to be so much longer compared to the growth of her chest and neck circumference. I’m loving her graceful long poodle legs. Long legs are my second favorite thing about poodles, besides their smarts!

Her eyes are so expressive and sweet. That’s what got me when i met her litter. I knew she was the one. Really, her whole face had me at first sight in person

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
She is so very cute! Just for reference, my boys also weren't very interested in cuddling til after they turned 5 months. Not so very long after, it got to where we couldn't sit down without getting a puppy in our lap, or by our side, or cutting off circulation in our legs lol.

It's possible that once she gets to that place brushing will be more accepted too since it involves close contact and soothing stroking :).
Thank you, Rose n Poos! I feel like you’re one of the resident poodle puppy lovers here. Your signature pic is my favorite.

Lacey is getting better with brushing day by day. I always hoped that could be a bonding time for us. Coincidentally she is also getting more into hanging out on the end of the couch on my legs, or occasionally on my chest and just cuddling. She of course still has times where she wants to chew the edge of the blanket on me or the edge of the pillow I’m propped up against but she is already calmer and happier just hanging out with me (just needs a toy to chew on in reach if she’s not sleepy). I’m preparing myself for her losing her teeth and getting really bitey more so than before. As well as adolescent rebellion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Here are the week 16 pics!

She started her puppy class. What a cluster that was. She was interested in seeing and playing with every dog. She conked out in the car on the way home. It probably blew her mind seeing so many dogs up close at once. There were so many beautiful and cute puppies there my heart was melting.

She had her 16 week vet visit. She weighed 5.5 lb. so she gained 1.5 lb in 4 weeks. Yay! She does good at the vets. Doesn’t even flinch or notice when she gets her shots. Now she’s done with her puppy vaccines. Fingers crossed no vet visits will be needed for another year until her annual.

This dog is bomb proof and fearless. This week she was definitely testing me and for the first time I felt very frustrated. At the same time, she is extremely sweet and loves everyone. She’s happiest when she can be curled up on the couch with me. When she frustrates me I try to remember the things she does well and that she’s just a puppy still. She’s begun to get more time to roam around the main level, which isn’t too big an area. Working on impulse control is a big focus right now.

She experienced snow for the first time. At first she wasn’t too excited about it. But then she stuck her head down in it and ran forward, almost using her head like a shovel through the snow. She did it about 4 times. I laughed so hard. The pic below is some of her first steps in the snow. I was so bummed it snowed so soon this year. We are having record cold temps this month. I got a flexi leash for the very purpose of being able to let her run out on it, while I stand inside with shoes on, storm door just barely cracked open to allow the tape of the leash to go through. Then I don’t have to go in the cold unless I have to pick up a poop!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Week 17

Lacey is giving me side eye in the first picture. She’s looking for her dad in the second picture.

Thankfully the snow had melted by this week and I took as much advantage as possible of running around in the yard together before the snow hits again. She can run so fast for such a little girl and it makes me laugh when she zooms by me full speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Week 18 pics

Got a little behind so double post today.

This week Lacey did well in her puppy kindergarten class. I was so proud. This was the 3rd week and it was definitely the best one yet. There’s also only about 6 or 7 in the class and 2-3 instructors since they added an earlier class time. It split the class up and most others go to the later class.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Week 19.

This week was thanksgiving. Lacey met her cousin. He’s a big boy golden retriever, about 55 lbs! He’s a also a puppy at 6 months months old, and a very sweet boy. Lacey and him played, mostly him chasing her around. She was faster than him. I made sure she got plenty of rest breaks away from the other puppy. Watching them play provided a lot of fun and laughter for my small family. The pic in her jammies is from thanksgiving, I had to dress her up for a little bit once the big dog went to bed. So cute. Now that her fur grew back I haven’t been putting clothes on her. But the next haircut will come and she will be dressed once again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

20 weeks.

wow, every pic I have from this week she’s on a couch!

This week Lacey went on her longest car ride since the first time she rode home with me. I took her to her Grandpa’s house, which is an hour away. Even though I exercised her and took her on a walk before the car ride she scream barked 90% of the drive.

My dad loved having her at his house. His dog died about 5 years ago and he doesn’t feel like he could handle going through another dog dying. He said it was so nice to have another dog in the house. And boy, does Lacey LOVE my dad. You can see she’s curled up and napping next to him on the couch. That’s the only time I’ve seen her choose to sit next to someone else even if having the option to sit next to me. It warmed my heart so much.
For the first time ever she got to run around off leash outside since he has a fenced in back yard. I thought she’d be zooming around like she does in my yard, but the snow was too deep and powdery there :)

We spent the night and she slept next to me on the bed. She did great. The next morning on the ride home she was quiet the whole way. The whole adventure wore her out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

21 week pics.

Lacey lost her first teeth this week. It happened so quick. I had just brushed her teeth one day, and a couple days later two bottom teeth were missing. In the last pic, the star toy isn’t stuck on her face. She really liked it around her muzzle like that because it was massaging the sore areas as she chewed.
She’s now getting even more time outside of her x pen, but we’re back to taking her out every 2 hours to keep her from peeing or pooping on the floor. She doesn’t have accidents in her x pen as she knows it’s “her” area not to soil. She’s still learning that the rest of the main floor is not part of outside. Taking her out more frequently again is a big help. It’s almost like potty training starting over again with this frequency.

·
Registered
991 Posts
That last photo made me laugh :)

Happy to hear you're rolling with the housebreaking punches. She'll be all grown up before you know it! Such a cute little teddy bear of a poodle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That last photo made me laugh :)

Happy to hear you're rolling with the housebreaking punches. She'll be all grown up before you know it! Such a cute little teddy bear of a poodle.
thank you, PeggyTheParti!

Oh yes, the time is definitely going by quickly!

Rocco and Roxie cleaner from amazon has made it easier to go with the flow with her potty training. It seems to be working so my house doesn’t smell like pee/poop from this little teddy dog.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Week 22 pics. I’m going to start putting the weekly dates as well since I post on a bit of a delay. 12/15/19-12/21/19.

Lacey continues to lose front teeth. Most of her upper front teeth are adult teeth and the bottom front ones aren’t far behind. She hasn’t lost any molars yet I don’t think, and definitely not her canines. I can tell this is causing her to have less appetite and sleep more this week. It takes a long time for her to decide she wants to eat her food, whether it’s wet kibble and cottage cheese or soft pate. Sometimes I have to put the food in the fridge to keep for later. She’s definitely still interested in treats though!

She only had one day with accidents this week. Both on the same day, one pee and one poop. Consequently this was the first time she ever let me know she had to go out, and I missed the sign. She was mouthing at the wooden gate at the stairs that lead down to the foyer. Normally she doesn’t mess with that specific gate. She’d just been out and peed an hour ago so I didn’t think much of it. Shortly after that, she pooped on the floor. Then it clicked that was her way of showing me she needed to go outside. I got so excited! I figured I’d wait and see if she did it again. Later that night, 2 1/2 hours after she’d last peed, she had another accident, which was fine. Back to the every 2 hours no matter what schedule.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I love that she told you she had to go! That's such a breakthrough! Peggy was being VERY ANNOYING for about ten minutes before her first and only poop accident. We learned quickly from that one :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Week 23. 12/22/19-12/28/19

My girl is growing! She now weighs about 7 lb (a little over 3 kg). Maybe she will make it to 10 lb (4.5 kg)? Again, the breeder guessed 10-12 lb. she is still such a little nugget though.

As she continued to teethe this week, her appetite is still so so. I have not found any teeth yet so I’m not sure she’s lost the bigger ones yet. Her breath is kind of smelly since she started teething, but only if she’s open mouth breathing right in my face. I’m prepared for it to get worse as she loses more teeth.

As of 12/28, she hasn’t had any accidents in 11 days, and has spent a LOT of time out of her pen. She rarely shows any indication of needing to go out, but the every 2 hours out schedule is working for us right now.

I had family coming over to celebrate Christmas, which meant I had to move her x pen and crate out of the dining room so that we could use the table for dinner. I did it the day before, moved the crate to behind the couch and put the x pen around the Christmas tree so it would continue to be blocked off from her. She did really well. I was worried she’d try to pull down the Christmas decorations from the stair railing if she wasn’t being watched every second. She normally would get into things like that.
My mom, dad, and his girlfriend came to our house to celebrate. We lost my only sibling this past summer and Lacey brought happiness and smiles to our family. I’m so thankful for that. My mom slept over and woke up earlier than me. She said she laid on the couch holding a sleeping Lacey and just looked at her for over an hour. She finally felt like she bonded with her. So sweet.

The first pic was right after a bath and blow dry, but was prior to me trimming hair under her chin and around her eyes. She just gets better with each bath. Still hates the dryer though! Grooming is one of the biggest focuses of my training with her (sorry if I had mentioned that in a prior post in this thread). I am trying to shoot for a bath every 1-2 weeks. Especially since she needs her butt hair trimmed more often than I have been doing. She gets little dingleberries so easily since her poops still are smeary and less formed sometimes. And that hair grows back so fast! I just love how soft her puppy hair is after a bath.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Week 24

12/29/19-1/4/19

Potty training update. It has been almost 3 weeks since she’s had an accident in the house. This week I decided to give her free access to the entryway downstairs after she became reliable and wasn’t needing to be taken out every 2 hours.
We’ve had potty bells hung on the front door since she came home, and have always had her hit them before we’d take her out to potty. with free access to them she immediately knows that connection and started ringing it to go outside, whether she has to potty or not. sometimes she just wants to sniff around (something we’ll work on).
At this point I’m trialing her to be in charge of letting us know when she has to go, no matter how long it’s been. Unless its been like 8 hours, then she’s going out!
I’m sure she’s bound to still have accidents, but at this point learned that the house isn’t a place to “go.” Yayyyyy!

Her appetite seems better this week with the teething process. I have yet to physically see any lost teeth this week. But her breath is proof it’s happening.

I did a bigger groom to tidy up her body. I made a post about it under the poodle grooming thread with more before and after pics and a description of what I did. But I wanted to at least include a before and after shot here too.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts