Poodle Forum banner

52 weeks of Lacey Rose

19K views 120 replies 15 participants last post by  Porkchop 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I have been planning to do a 52 week thread for my girl, so here it is!

This is my baby, Lacey Rose. Her original name from the breeder was Rose, and I wanted to keep that in her name, so I thought I’d have that as her middle name. Lacey was the name of my favorite childhood doll I took EVERYWHERE with me. I spent a month before I got her agonizing over a name. But I kept coming back to Lacey.

She is registered as a red miniature poodle. I don’t think she’ll end up being red or the size of a typical miniature poodle! Looking at the skin on my girl’s toes, and the fact that her ears are darker color than the rest of her makes me believe she will fade out to a lighter color after she’s a couple years old. You never know with “reds!” :) I don’t care if she fades. I just find it funny that she’s registered as a red. Her dad was a cream color and her mom was a dark red.

Another funny thing is her size. Supposedly she will get to be 10-12 lb. I have a feeling she might not make it to 10 lb. I wasn’t specifically looking for a tiny dog, just a smaller size, like less than 20 lb. I had a miniature black male poodle before and he was about 17 lb and very fit.

No matter the size or color she ends up being, she is everything I’ve wanted for the past 7 years. I’m so happy she’s home with me. I’ve had her for a little over a month now. She came home with me one day after she turned 8 weeks old. She’s currently between 12-13 weeks old.

At 8 weeks old she weighed 2 lb 12 oz.

At 12 weeks old at her most recent vet visit she weighed 4 lb.

I can’t wait to continue to watch her grow and see the dog she becomes! She has had a big personality since the day she came home. She bonded with me right away. She’s very strong willed, loves meeting new people, and is all about playing. There were 3 total in her litter. I met her twice before she was old enough to come home. The first time I met her I knew for sure she was the one! So much work (and repetition and patience needed for training). That’s why puppies are cute to get us through that difficult stage. :angel:

P.S. in the 11 week pics I had trimmed her muzzle hair since it was getting too long and kept poking her in the eyes. Total hack job if you saw it up close, haha! I am going to be doing all her grooming so lots more funny haircuts to come.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Lacey Rose, I love the name. She’s so cute I just want to pick her up an cuddle her.

Reactions: Porkchop
#10 ·
Please move if able :)

I need a moderator’s help.

When I created this thread I specifically used the link from the sticky in the “52 weeks of dogs - the rules & table of contents.”
The one that says: make your own new thread in this forum SPECIFICALLY for this challenge and nothing else (click here to make a new thread!)

For some reason that link just creates a new thread under “poodle pictures.” Instead of the “52 weeks of your poodle.” I just now realized that.

Can this thread be moved to the “52 weeks” sub-forum?

Thank you!

P.S. more pics to come once this is in the right place!

#11 ·
I need a moderator’s help.

When I created this thread I specifically used the link from the sticky in the “52 weeks of dogs - the rules & table of contents.”
The one that says: make your own new thread in this forum SPECIFICALLY for this challenge and nothing else (click here to make a new thread!)

For some reason that link just creates a new thread under “poodle pictures.” Instead of the “52 weeks of your poodle.” I just now realized that.

Can this thread be moved to the “52 weeks” sub-forum?

Thank you!

P.S. more pics to come once this is in the right place!

Try posting this question in the Technical Assistance thread at the homepage. That's likely going to get you an answer faster :) and faster for us to see more cute photos!!!!

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks, Samie! I posted in the technical assistance thread. Hopefully this thread can be moved to the right place. I’m going to post my 13 week pics because I don’t wanna wait anymore! This little girl is way too cute.

Week 13 is when I feel like she’s finally understanding her training in a meaningful way and really understanding her place in the family. She also is starting to understand the word “no.” Not that that will stop her from doing what she wants to do after hearing “no.” But she’s more thoughtful and looks me in the eyes now. She has a long way to go but she’s on the way to an amazing adult dog.
She’s not much of a cuddler. unless she’s tired from a walk or zoomies from the occasional times she’s allowed to roam around the around the house.
She has been good about letting me clip her nails both times I’ve done it and is calm when I trim the hair around her eyes. She weirdly LOVES having her ears cleaned. She’d have me do it every day if she could. What a strange dog. I wish she felt that way about being brushed. :yield::yield:

Attachments

#13 ·
Ugh SO cute!!! She is precious, it sounds like she is already is a wonderful pup and will only get better!
Norman loves when I brush his teeth!! I wish I had started to brush his teeth sooner to get him more comfortable, but now he just sits and waits! lol! He still tries to eat the toothbrush so we are working on that :)

Also, I think she may come around to loving cuddles! Norman HATED cuddles at that age, he just wanted to GO GO GO! Now, this 53 pound ball of fur, wants to do nothing by lay on me!! I love it, but sometimes his sharp elbows to my ribs hurt :p

You're lucky to have such a gorgeous pup! Good luck on the brushing... if you figure out how to make it work let me know!! I still argue with Norman over it LOL!

#14 ·
Thank you, Samie, and everyone else who gave nice compliments on Lacey. I always tell her what a pretty girl she is. :)

You’re giving me hope that Lacey will want random cuddle time. But at the same time I do make sure she gets plenty of time alone to entertain herself with her toys because I want her to be an independent girl. I’ve never been a huge cuddler in my life when it comes to humans. But when it comes to my dog I just want to hold her, pet her, and look into her sweet eyes. My other poo was never a cuddler, he hated being held and was very independent. But was still very sweet!

#15 ·
Here’s week 14 for Lacey. I’m sorry but I have to post more than one pic a week of her.

You can see between the first two vs the following pics that she got her first big haircut. At first I had just trimmed the hair on her head. But it looked so out of proportion compared to her fluffy body that I decided to cut all of it shorter.

I used curved shears for everything, and a pair of short shears for some smaller areas like around her eyes, and her sanitary areas. Don’t worry, I disinfected the shears after using on the sanitary area. ? She is definitely not ready for the andis clippers. I am working with getting her used to the sight, sound, and vibration while getting a stream of treats. She’s scared of the clippers and tries to bite them. Just gonna keep working in short sessions to get her used to it.

She really wasn’t liking her new haircut. The next day she barely ate, got cold easily, and seemed a little self conscious, haha. I can’t believe it, but I got her a sweater. I never thought I’d get clothing for my dog. It suddenly got very cold where I live, 30 degrees or colder in the morning and at night. She surprisingly doesn’t mind wearing the sweater, maybe even likes it. For now I just have it on for walks or short periods of time.

I set up a camera so I could check on her while I’m at work. I use the Alfred app. Then you set up your “camera” which is my iPad. I can check my phone whenever I want at work and reassure myself she’s ok. She’s always quietly laying down and sleeping when I check. Yay!

Also exciting, I signed us up for puppy kindergarten class. That should be fun. It starts in about a week.

Attachments

#17 ·
Here are Lacey’s 15 week pics.

She’s definitely growing her bond with her dad, which he’s happy about (and so am I). It always makes my heart swell when he gets her out of the pen to cuddle, play, or even just take out to potty. He wasn’t excited about getting a dog, but knew it was what I needed and wanted for so long. He also understood there was going to be a lot of work involved and is great about helping with the day to day stuff. He also is willing to take direction from me regarding her training so we can be consistent with her. He thinks she’s cute and definitely has love for her.

Lacey starts puppy kindergarten today. I’m soooo excited. I can’t wait to get more training tips and get her more exposure to other dogs. She enjoyed my neighbor’s poodle schnauzer mix the couple times they’ve met. Ive never done any kind of training class with a puppy.

She goes to the vet tomorrow for her 16 week vaccinations, the final(/annual?) DAPP-L and first rabies vaccine. She did really well getting a shot at her last visit, didn’t even flinch while I held her. Hopefully that will be the case again. I’m not sure why she needs the DAPP-L again though. She had the equivalent of two rounds of DAP (distemper-adenovirus-parvovirus) from her breeder and one DAPP-L booster at her 12 week appointment. The vet clinic told me this DAPP-L is different than the one she got 4 weeks ago. I believe they said this one is stronger? I’ll have to clarify tomorrow. Can’t wait to see how much more she weighs too.

I love this dog so much. ❤

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks PeggyTheParti! Her legs have grown to be so much longer compared to the growth of her chest and neck circumference. I’m loving her graceful long poodle legs. Long legs are my second favorite thing about poodles, besides their smarts!

Her eyes are so expressive and sweet. That’s what got me when i met her litter. I knew she was the one. Really, her whole face had me at first sight in person

#20 ·
She is so very cute! Just for reference, my boys also weren't very interested in cuddling til after they turned 5 months. Not so very long after, it got to where we couldn't sit down without getting a puppy in our lap, or by our side, or cutting off circulation in our legs lol.

It's possible that once she gets to that place brushing will be more accepted too since it involves close contact and soothing stroking :).

Reactions: Porkchop
#22 ·
Thank you, Rose n Poos! I feel like you’re one of the resident poodle puppy lovers here. Your signature pic is my favorite.

Lacey is getting better with brushing day by day. I always hoped that could be a bonding time for us. Coincidentally she is also getting more into hanging out on the end of the couch on my legs, or occasionally on my chest and just cuddling. She of course still has times where she wants to chew the edge of the blanket on me or the edge of the pillow I’m propped up against but she is already calmer and happier just hanging out with me (just needs a toy to chew on in reach if she’s not sleepy). I’m preparing myself for her losing her teeth and getting really bitey more so than before. As well as adolescent rebellion.

#23 · (Edited)
Here are the week 16 pics!

She started her puppy class. What a cluster that was. She was interested in seeing and playing with every dog. She conked out in the car on the way home. It probably blew her mind seeing so many dogs up close at once. There were so many beautiful and cute puppies there my heart was melting.

She had her 16 week vet visit. She weighed 5.5 lb. so she gained 1.5 lb in 4 weeks. Yay! She does good at the vets. Doesn’t even flinch or notice when she gets her shots. Now she’s done with her puppy vaccines. Fingers crossed no vet visits will be needed for another year until her annual.

This dog is bomb proof and fearless. This week she was definitely testing me and for the first time I felt very frustrated. At the same time, she is extremely sweet and loves everyone. She’s happiest when she can be curled up on the couch with me. When she frustrates me I try to remember the things she does well and that she’s just a puppy still. She’s begun to get more time to roam around the main level, which isn’t too big an area. Working on impulse control is a big focus right now.

She experienced snow for the first time. At first she wasn’t too excited about it. But then she stuck her head down in it and ran forward, almost using her head like a shovel through the snow. She did it about 4 times. I laughed so hard. The pic below is some of her first steps in the snow. I was so bummed it snowed so soon this year. We are having record cold temps this month. I got a flexi leash for the very purpose of being able to let her run out on it, while I stand inside with shoes on, storm door just barely cracked open to allow the tape of the leash to go through. Then I don’t have to go in the cold unless I have to pick up a poop!

Attachments

#24 ·
Week 17

Lacey is giving me side eye in the first picture. She’s looking for her dad in the second picture.

Thankfully the snow had melted by this week and I took as much advantage as possible of running around in the yard together before the snow hits again. She can run so fast for such a little girl and it makes me laugh when she zooms by me full speed.

Attachments

#25 ·
Week 18 pics

Got a little behind so double post today.

This week Lacey did well in her puppy kindergarten class. I was so proud. This was the 3rd week and it was definitely the best one yet. There’s also only about 6 or 7 in the class and 2-3 instructors since they added an earlier class time. It split the class up and most others go to the later class.

Attachments

#27 ·

Week 19.

This week was thanksgiving. Lacey met her cousin. He’s a big boy golden retriever, about 55 lbs! He’s a also a puppy at 6 months months old, and a very sweet boy. Lacey and him played, mostly him chasing her around. She was faster than him. I made sure she got plenty of rest breaks away from the other puppy. Watching them play provided a lot of fun and laughter for my small family. The pic in her jammies is from thanksgiving, I had to dress her up for a little bit once the big dog went to bed. So cute. Now that her fur grew back I haven’t been putting clothes on her. But the next haircut will come and she will be dressed once again.

#28 ·

20 weeks.

wow, every pic I have from this week she’s on a couch!

This week Lacey went on her longest car ride since the first time she rode home with me. I took her to her Grandpa’s house, which is an hour away. Even though I exercised her and took her on a walk before the car ride she scream barked 90% of the drive.

My dad loved having her at his house. His dog died about 5 years ago and he doesn’t feel like he could handle going through another dog dying. He said it was so nice to have another dog in the house. And boy, does Lacey LOVE my dad. You can see she’s curled up and napping next to him on the couch. That’s the only time I’ve seen her choose to sit next to someone else even if having the option to sit next to me. It warmed my heart so much.
For the first time ever she got to run around off leash outside since he has a fenced in back yard. I thought she’d be zooming around like she does in my yard, but the snow was too deep and powdery there :)

We spent the night and she slept next to me on the bed. She did great. The next morning on the ride home she was quiet the whole way. The whole adventure wore her out.

#29 ·

21 week pics.

Lacey lost her first teeth this week. It happened so quick. I had just brushed her teeth one day, and a couple days later two bottom teeth were missing. In the last pic, the star toy isn’t stuck on her face. She really liked it around her muzzle like that because it was massaging the sore areas as she chewed.
She’s now getting even more time outside of her x pen, but we’re back to taking her out every 2 hours to keep her from peeing or pooping on the floor. She doesn’t have accidents in her x pen as she knows it’s “her” area not to soil. She’s still learning that the rest of the main floor is not part of outside. Taking her out more frequently again is a big help. It’s almost like potty training starting over again with this frequency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.