Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kody is 9 weeks Today!
The first week with Kody has been an interesting one. He is one funny little fella.
Kody likes to take his naps near his water dish. He will wake up a little and his face lands in the dish. He will realize where he is, take a drink and fall asleep in a strange cycle.
I learned the hard way to get him a non tip over water dish, and put just a little at a time. All the toys in the world are not as fun as his water dish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Obviously a water dog and a sure fire winner in our monthly photo contests. Always useful to have a sense of humor with a poodle puppy!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
He is certainly a handsome guy! You are very brave having his water bowl on your carpet. LOL Anyone of my dogs in puppyhood would have had it pulled everywhere.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Puppyhood! Gotta love puppyhood! So annoying but amusing, so enjoy every moment and keep taking adorable pictures!LOL!

Reactions: WillowVerde

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
He looks like a really really cute sweet guy! I don't think I would have had food and water on carpets either. You are a brave soul.

Reactions: WillowVerde

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

He is really such a cutie. Ideally I would have his dishes and exercise pen on tile, but I am still laying it down. We bought a fixer upper home and will be changing the carpets after he is a year old. Which is a good thing we decided to hold off. The first post was really short because the peeing ninja woke up from his nap.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Cody is SO cute! I love the amount of black vs white that he has and the white tip on his tail. Puppyhood is exhausting but also so much fun. My new guy is 16 weeks now and the time has flown by. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Growing puppy eating non stop.

Kody is 10 weeks today!
Kody is growing in size and weight. Every time I wake up and look at him he looks slightly bigger. His father is 28 inchs and 75lbs. So this 14lbs puppy has a ways to go.
Kody scared me earlier in the week. During his after lunch quiet time, Kody wakes up suddenly and starts trying to cough something up. He did have a chew toy with him so I jumped in to assess the situation. I did not visually see anything in the airway. I also determined that his airway was not occluded and that he could breathe. The chew toy was still fully intact so that wasn’t it. I was stumped and picked up the phone to call his vet. I was home alone, and my husband had the car. So my only option was pick him up and fast walk to the vet.
She felt him up and said his belly seemed bloated. The X-rays taken determined that he did not have anything in his airway. He had a full stomach and was backed up. So Kody was full of crap, but it was not at the exit yet. Kody has a tendency to eat his food like he is in a speed eating contest. This had made him uncomfortable and just made it seem like a scary situation. So I walked to the pet store and bought a puzzle feeder to slow him down. I don’t think he is too crazy about his new dish as I am. It definitely does its job, and and makes his scarfing last 10x longer. This puppy is definitely getting the recommended amount of food. He still always seems like he is starving and just wants to eat nonstop. He gets plenty of treats to reward good behavior, but tries to take a finger with it. So we have been working on “easy”.
I have a full spoo that thinks he is a Lab.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Growing like a weed

Kody is now 11 weeks and 17lbs
This little guy is a bouncy bundle joy. He is growing in size and in brains. His little face is starting to get a bit fuzzy. The brown is starting change a little bit and his cute freckles are starting to show more. His favorite toy is the green ball since he discovered it fits in his mouth now.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Desert Life

Kody is 12 weeks
Yesterday was the first time it rained since I brought him home. So I took Kody out to play. Watching him try to eat all the rain drops coming from the roof was priceless. I didn’t have my phone on me to take a picture, I have a bad habit of forgetting it during the perfect moments.
On Monday Kody had a run in with a scorpion in his play area. Kody became distracted instead of bringing the ball back he went sniffing. Suddenly Kody was jumping, yelping and pawing his nose. I saw the scorpion, scooped him up and ran in the house. The Vet said To give him Benadryl and to watch him for the next four hours. He is fine, no reactions, he slept for most of the day. This experience probably scared me more than it did him.
I am thankful that we have been playing the collar grab game. When I saw that second scorpion this morning in his play area. I gently grabbed him put his leash on and put him in the house.
Kody is very much a cuddly puppy, and always wants to be held. He is getting so big that carrying him is getting a little harder.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kody is so cute! Scorpions, I don't think I would like that very much. Is there anything you can do to be rid of them in your yard?
As a native Central NY Girl, I was not ready for them and they creep me out. Before moving here I made a contract with a professional to come and do regular spraying of the house and yard. When I talked to him, he believes they are coming from the neighbors house. So he heavily treated that side of the brick wall. I bought diatomaceous earth to put all over my yard, brick wall and house. Just for extra help to keep Kody safe. I attempted to talk to the neighbors, but they seem anti social. Kind of laughed at me that I was telling them about scorpions, and told me to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I never thought of diatomaceous earth for scorpions - I thought it only worked on insects. I have only seen one scorpion here in the past 20 years, but some of my neighbors often have them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never thought of diatomaceous earth for scorpions - I thought it only worked on insects.
It does work on scorpions but slowly. It works faster on scorpions food sources. Which might be coming over the wall as well. It is strange, I moved here in September, and already came across 4 in my backyard. When I talk to my in-laws, they have only seen 2 the whole 13 years they lived here.
It might be because Kody has a gift for finding them.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
That’s a scare! I have seen scorpions in Austin, not here, and they are creepy. Glad Kody is OK! Good reminder to have Benedryl on hand for insect stings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very polite puppy

Kody is 13 weeks
This weekend we have a friend visiting from NY. I was prepared for an out of control puppy greeting a guest. Except he surprised me, when I opened his ex pen to let him meet our guest. He actually waited at the entrance for his release word. Then went to greet our guest, and he responded to his sit and wait command when he started to get jumpy. Kody is such a good boy. Later in the day my husbands parents came over to say hello to our family friend. When Kody saw My MIL that is when he became an out of control puppy. He really likes her, but we will work on manners one on one with her slowly. Every time she comes over it is like a squirrel was let loose in the house. He must know that I think my MIL is a great person.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big Boy

Kody is 14 weeks, 22 lbs!
Kody had another round of vaccinations. He did very well at his appointment.
Very soon he will be able to visit a groomer. Then we can start to see those pretty eyes a little better.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts