Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I found the best tip for taking photos of not only black dogs is to have the sun to your back (I.e. light is shining in dogs eyes/face). The second best tip is to be on their level which is hard with a puppy as they usually come to you as soon as you kneel down LOL. Also, If you have access to change the exposure setting then up it a little, take a test shot and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the best tip for taking photos of not only black dogs is to have the sun to your back (I.e. light is shining in dogs eyes/face). The second best tip is to be on their level which is hard with a puppy as they usually come to you as soon as you kneel down LOL. Also, If you have access to change the exposure setting then up it a little, take a test shot and adjust as needed.
I agree with your photo tips. I’ve always been sort of a shutterbug. But in all reality, I use my iPhone for snapshots now-a-days. The ability to make “exposure” and other adjustments make for some decent photos.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is sooooooo cute. How’s she’s doing?
She’s doing very well. So far we seem to have mastered “sit” and “down”, but “stay” is still eluding us. She’s somewhat cooperative walking with a harness and leash, but not really consistent yet.
Potty training is a mixed bag. So far, she has not gone #2 in the house since her very first day with us a month ago!
Going pee-pee WAS going great as well until just the past couple of days when she has gone on the floor.
Fortunately I caught her in the act the two most recent times and got her outside to finish. It’s frustrating because she had zero issues for about 3 weeks and now it seems like a little regression is taking place.

We start our first puppy obedience classes in two weeks.

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
She’s doing very well. So far we seem to have mastered “sit” and “down”, but “stay” is still eluding us. She’s somewhat cooperative walking with a harness and leash, but not really consistent yet.
Potty training is a mixed bag. So far, she has not gone #2 in the house since her very first day with us a month ago!
Going pee-pee WAS going great as well until just the past couple of days when she has gone on the floor.
Fortunately I caught her in the act the two most recent times and got her outside to finish. It’s frustrating because she had zero issues for about 3 weeks and now it seems like a little regression is taking place.

She’ll get there. :) Just keeping rewarding enthusiastically for successful outdoor pees. Get that high-value treat right under her nose as she’s finishing up. It really works if you’re consistent.

We didn’t worry too much about accidents. We considered them our own fault and, if I’m recalling correctly, didn’t even try to interrupt them. We definitely didn’t punish for them. But we did make note of the time, the location, and the events preceding them. This helped us tweak her schedule and freedoms accordingly.

Have fun at puppy class!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She’ll get there. :) Just keeping rewarding enthusiastically for successful outdoor pees. Get that high-value treat right under her nose as she’s finishing up. It really works if you’re consistent.

We didn’t worry too much about accidents. We considered them our own fault and, if I’m recalling correctly, didn’t even try to interrupt them. We definitely didn’t punish for them. But we did make note of the time, the location, and the events preceding them. This helped us tweak her schedule and freedoms accordingly.

Have fun at puppy class!
It’s been 10 years since we went through the baby phase with Ellie… so I’m sure my memory has faded as it relates to her potty training.
I appreciate your input and we are doing exactly as you have suggested. I think I was just a little too quick to declare victory in the pee-pee category after a couple of perfect performance weeks. I know she’ll get there soon!

·
Registered
352 Posts

"Stay" will come with time. 14 weeks is still so young 😄 One trick I learned from someone here on PF (I forget who 😕) was to treat on release. So "Sit" became "Sit," and then marker word like "Yes" when she sat, wait a second or so (very brief when first starting) and then a release command (I use "at ease" because that is a phrase I never use in normal convo), and treat after that. Gradually you can build up the time before you release but the trick is to do it before they release themselves in the beginning.

THAT all said, we'd been doing that for a while w/ Bennie when we started Puppy Kindergarten, she'd been able to hold a down for quite some time (also thanks to mat training). Our trainer thought that any sort of lengthy stay was a lot to ask of pups and so they taught to give the cue, treat continuously for a moment or two, and then release. So that's another potential method.

Apologies if none of that is useful and you're not a newbie dog owner like me 😝 I guess I should have checked that out before blathering on.

Your girl is so sweet! My pup is black with a white mark on her chest as well :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Stay" will come with time. 14 weeks is still so young 😄 One trick I learned from someone here on PF (I forget who 😕) was to treat on release. So "Sit" became "Sit," and then marker word like "Yes" when she sat, wait a second or so (very brief when first starting) and then a release command (I use "at ease" because that is a phrase I never use in normal convo), and treat after that. Gradually you can build up the time before you release but the trick is to do it before they release themselves in the beginning.

THAT all said, we'd been doing that for a while w/ Bennie when we started Puppy Kindergarten, she'd been able to hold a down for quite some time (also thanks to mat training). Our trainer thought that any sort of lengthy stay was a lot to ask of pups and so they taught to give the cue, treat continuously for a moment or two, and then release. So that's another potential method.

Apologies if none of that is useful and you're not a newbie dog owner like me 😝 I guess I should have checked that out before blathering on.

Your girl is so sweet! My pup is black with a white mark on her chest as well :)
Kerbie is our second SPOO. Ellie her predecessor, was our first poodle. What I have found is that puppies are like children in the sense that they are all different. Things that Ellie struggled with, comes easy for Kerbie and vice versa. There are some generalizations that are true, but they are their own individuals.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kerbie is our second SPOO. Ellie her predecessor, was our first poodle. What I have found is that puppies are like children in the sense that they are all different. Things that Ellie struggled with, comes easy for Kerbie and vice versa. There are some generalizations that are true, but they are their own individuals.
Oh well then you are well ahead of me in poodle experience 😄! I absolutely agree with the uniqueness, even within the breed. Gosh, generalizations regarding kids and parenting used to make me a bit batty. My apologies if I seemed to be generalizing, I know the best way to speak is just from personal experiences.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts