Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say Hello to Johnny.....

He was born on June 2, 2018 and came home on July 28th at 8 weeks. He made the six hour drive with no tummy issues, unlike Mini and Cooper. It took Cooper almost to 1 yr until he didn’t turn green in the car.

I have done a few things different with Johnny than I did with Mini and Cooper.

The first night home, instead of putting Johnny in the create next to my bed, I put the create on the bed next to me. No whining or crying. Mini and Cooper both ended up on the bed uncreated by day two. So far he is still in a crate at night, tonight I am moving him to a bigger crate on the floor. I also am sleeping in the guest room on the main floor, instead of my room on the second floor, so I don’t have to carry him up and down stairs at night.

I set up a crate and a pen in my home office on the second floor, well, that lasted one day. I moved my office into the dining room. Carrying him up and down got old fast.

Johnny has already learned to go up the steps.....(they are now blocked). He can’t go down by himself nor do I want him to until he gets older. It took Mini and Cooper a month before they even tried.

My breeder used piddle pads with Mini and Cooper like you expect, but with Johnny she switched to grass pellets. I cannot believe the difference. I open the back donor and Johnny runs to the grass and goes......at 8 weeks old. No smelling. No leashing. No corralling.....just makes a bee line to grass. His has had a few mistakes, cause I didn’t take him out soon enough, but none of the peeing inside right after being out. It is so amazing.

One other difference, I boarded Mini and Cooper when we went to get Johnny. We got home in the afternoon and didn’t pick Mini and Cooper up until the next day. So we had some quiet time when we got home.

I expected Mini to love Johnny and Cooper to be more layed back, but it is just the opposite Cooper has taken to Johnny from the first moment.

He has been the easiest pup I ever had. (Ok it has only been one week)

8 weeks - 12.2 lbs, 12.5”
9 weeks - 14.4 lbs, 13.5”

Attachments

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Congrats on your little cutie! He sounds like he has an incredibly easy temperament--how lucky! Looks like he made himself right at home with you :)

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
He's such an adorable puppy. Looks like an easy keeper who is fitting right in with Mini and Cooper.

Reactions: Suzysue

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Aww so cute. Its amazing how Johnny is fitting right in. And he look so laid back too. Hope he stays being an easy pup to raise.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10 weeks

Had a busy week. Went to vet on Monday and got shots, did fine no bad reactions...Vet tech thank me for starting her week by snuggling a puppy.

Wednesday night we had over night guests - two and four legged. Johnny did fine. While the others Mini played cheerleader, barking while the theses played, which results in her being put in the house.

Last night had a set back on crate training, About midnight, Johnny got his paw stuck in the bars of his crate and now refuses to go in. So he had his first night in my bed. Kinda of scary to wake to a loud yelping puppy. Took him an hour to settle down. We will restart crate training in a few days.

This morning went to first puppy class and Johnny was so confident just wanted to go play with the other pups. At Mini first class she hid under the chair the whole time. He was a show off, looked when I called his name, and sat for treats without being told. He did get a little wound up during play time, so I held him to give him a rest and to calm down.

10 weeks - 16.6 lbs, 14.75”

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wow, Johnny is so adorable. I love his wonderful coat.

Please do keep updating this thread. I really look forward to seeing him grow.

Also, I love the names of your dogs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rjk, you are the first person that got Johnny name!

For those that are wondering, the photo rjk posted is of a MINI Cooper with the John Cooper Works package - the high end sports package.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Congrats on such a great start with that cute puppy. I did understand the Mini and Cooper names, but not the Johnny. Very clever.

I do have one suggestion for you which is to get going on grooming. the longer you wait to get him used to the routines of grooming (especially FFT) the harder it will be and the harder it will be to get him to get used to it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
rjk, you are the first person that got Johnny name!

For those that are wondering, the photo rjk posted is of a MINI Cooper with the John Cooper Works package - the high end sports package.
I'm guessing you will have plenty of opportunities to tell the story of why you called him Johnny.

"Mini and Cooper. Oh, like the Mini Cooper. That's so cute! Why did you call that one Johnny?" LOL

In addition to being interested in automobiles in general, my wife drives a Mini (2012 Countryman S), so I guess I'm a little more familiar with their lineup than the average person.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clean puppy

Groomed Johnny today in 5 min increments. Third bath/grooming session since I got him. Did better today with the HV dryer. Last time I skimmed him paws with the clipper and today was able to do his feet. I put a guard on and took a half inch off his body - he sure looks lighter. Got his face done today, he has been looking kinda funny cause last time I only got part of his face done. Used my new Wahl Bravura on his face and feet and the Andis with a guard for his body. Johnny was fine when I turned on the Wahl but looked concerned with the Andis.

With the help of yummy treats, by the end Johnny didn’t want to leave the grooming room.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh Johnny, Oh Johnny, How you can love......................an old, old, song from the past! HAPPY PUPPYHOOD he a real cutie, and now he can have his own song too!

https://youtu.be/d4lh55719Jk

·
Registered
419 Posts
He sounds like the perfect little guy! Such a joy! Can I ask about the grass pellets? Interested as my 5 mo. old mini might end up home alone a couple days here and there and I am worried. He's pretty much house trained and I bought a "potty patch" that has a tray and artificial grass but I've been afraid to use it because he was so young and wanted to chew on everything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Week 11

Johnny is growing like a weed, last week he felt chubby and this week I can feel bones. He grew 1.25” and gained 1.6 lbs.

Went to puppy class today, learned down today, actually more of a flop than a down. I was so proud when the other group of puppies were playing and Johnny would look at me when I called his name and then laid down and watched them play with periodic check ins with me. There was an older standard Poodle puppy in class today, the owners commented on how nice Johnny looked and his beautiful long nose. I mentioned that it was because his was groomed and if they groomed theirs I bet it would have a long nose too. I explained how important it was to groom early.

We had company last weekend (3 yr labradoodle) and this weekend (10 yr Golden) Johnny played appropriately with each. Mini has been good at correcting Johnny when he got too pushy. I was glad to see him apply it to other dogs.

My new favorite toy or how I survive the puppy bewitching hours. Thank you, PF for the suggestion.

https://www.chewy.com/pet-fit-life-plush-wand-teaser-dog/dp/167003

11 weeks - 18.2 lbs, 16”

The photos are my first attempt to get a family photo, gave up and settled for Johnny and Cooper.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alfalfa pellets

He sounds like the perfect little guy! Such a joy! Can I ask about the grass pellets? Interested as my 5 mo. old mini might end up home alone a couple days here and there and I am worried. He's pretty much house trained and I bought a "potty patch" that has a tray and artificial grass but I've been afraid to use it because he was so young and wanted to chew on everything.
I found out...the grass pellets are just alfalfa pellets that horses eat

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
15 weeks

Johnny is growing like a weed. 29 lbs at 15 wks, Cooper was 24 lbs at 16 wks. I tried to get a photos of their paws, it is hard to tell, but Johnny’s paws are bigger than Coopers. Based on their parents, Johny should be heavier but shorter than Cooper. It has been fun watching Johnny little backend go from puppy to starting to see that beautiful Poodle backend appear.

It is so fun seeing his personality start to come out. He is a smartly pants. We were learning Touch in puppy class today and he caught on fast then try it with is paw instead of his nose.

Grooming is going great! He holds still for his face and 3 out of 4 paws. No matter which paw I end with he gets wiggly.

Potty training is fine, most mistakes, I caused. I forgot to potty his after puppy class and he peed in the car. (face slap).

He is so confident that we are starting Obedience I next weekend, a few weeks early.

If you note in the photos, Mini and Cooper are sporting a new short all over look. Johnny enjoyed cording their hair too much. It looks good on Cooper but Mini not so much.

11 weeks - 18.2 lbs, 16”
12 weeks - 21.8 lbs, 16.75”
13 weeks - 23 lbs, 17.5”
14 weeks - 25.8 lbs, 18”
15 weeks - 29 lbs, 18.75”

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts