Poodle Forum banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
He’s adorable. I love the standing on top of the crate and watching tv pic. Something about it reminds me of a human child.
Yeah, so adorable! When the 20th Century Fox music came on, his attention jumped right to the TV!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Elroy is due for his grooming on Thursday (6 weeks). I haven't kept up on FFT as much as I did for his 1st groom. I know I want a shaved face, feet and tail. I know I want a easy short summer cut. I know I don't want poms or puffs. I don't know what I want for top knot, ears, and tail. Looking for suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
What about a German clip? Or is that a little too adult still?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
German cut looks OK, but I'm not sure about the short (leather?) ears and tail. Sometimes I have a tough time making eye contact with him, but I don't think I should be cutting the top knot down. Should I? And downside? I don't really like the idea of bands either. Seems a little feminine to me. I'm not planning on doing a show dog poodley Froo-Froo cut, but I'm just getting started with poodle life, so I'd kinda like to leave his grooming options open for the future. His hair is still soft and doesn't really stand on its own.
For ears, would it look OK to just scissors (taper quickly) the length, and leave all the fluff?
For tail, what he's got now looks hap hazard. I had her leave it long last time. Maybe I should have her even it off so it doesn't look so ratty?

·
Registered
260 Posts
German cut looks OK, but I'm not sure about the short (leather?) ears and tail. Sometimes I have a tough time making eye contact with him, but I don't think I should be cutting the top knot down. Should I? And downside? I don't really like the idea of bands either. Seems a little feminine to me. I'm not planning on doing a show dog poodley Froo-Froo cut, but I'm just getting started with poodle life, so I'd kinda like to leave his grooming options open for the future. His hair is still soft and doesn't really stand on its own.
For ears, would it look OK to just scissors (taper quickly) the length, and leave all the fluff?
For tail, what he's got now looks hap hazard. I had her leave it long last time. Maybe I should have her even it off so it doesn't look so ratty?
Tom, for Hugo's second groom last week, in addition to FFF, I had them take down his coat and legs---I think it's about 1/2-3/4" now and they clipped his topknot, the bottoms of his ears, and tail. She is a poodle owner herself so I kind of left it in her hands other than telling her that I wanted the top knot to be blended at the rear neck with the length on his back and I wanted a shorter body now that we are getting into the real heat of the summer.

In this photo his coat looks longer than it actually is.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
With Neo, a more classical look seems to suit him better but I do like it when his tail and head get a bit "extravagant". I keep his body pretty short when I do that, to balance, and it's summer 😎

With Remo, I try for a bit more casual look. I like the TK blended into the ears, and the ears, still full but angle cut, like a German ear grown out some.

The more classic look I shoot for with Neo, before he grows out into extravagance.

This is what I'm trying for with Remo. One of us zigging when zagging was expected usually dictates the end result LOL.

Reactions: Liz

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
My priority at that age was also seeing Peggy’s eyes. It makes a world of difference in training and bonding. Whatever style you choose, you can absolutely ask your groomer to cut his topknot more vertically over his eyes, to remove any sort of “shelf” that might hinder upwards eye contact.

Raggedy puppy tails seem pretty common. You could always have her cut it down shorter while Elroy progresses through the awkward stage. As his adult coat comes in, you’ll know what style suits him best. Some poodles never grow a really full tail.

For ears, I went super short when Peggy’s started matting (due to a combo of poor brushing technique, coat change, and her love of dipping them in her water bowl, her wading pool, the bathtub, etc.). But you could accomplish something similar by having your groomer cut short around the edges, with the shape of the leather, but leave the fluff. That creates a cute, kinda peppy looking shape.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
During our walk this afternoon, Elroy decided we needed to visit his best buddy Roddy. We walked up the driveway and Roddy was on his (fenced in) back porch. Roddy wasn't acting himself and wasn't really excited to see Elroy. Usually he's very excited, barks exuberantly, and can't wait to get Elroy through the gate. I knocked on the door and Roddy's Mom, Patty came to the door and invited us in to play. Roddy still seemed out of character. He growled at Elroy when Elroy was "in his face" the same way he always is. I kept them apart and calmed Elroy down. We talked a bit, and I told Patty that Roddy wasn't acting like his usual self today. She said that a couple of days ago he swallowed a piece of cardboard and then wasn't acting right. They took him to the vet and he said his throat was scratched from the cardboard. He was given antibiotics and prednisone. He was still on the prednisone today, so I'm thinking that's why he is out of character. Does anyone have experience with dogs on prednisone? Does it change their behavior? Could this be why Roddy wasn't thrilled to see Elroy like he usually is? Hopefully things return to normal in short order. Note: There was no confrontation between them, and other than a low key warning growl on three occasions, each of which was heeded, they were sitting nose to nose (and a couple of kisses from Elroy).

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,093 Posts
It sounds like Roddy's not feeling well, whether it's the prednisone or the scratch on the throat I cannot say. He'll be back to his usual self when he recovers. In the future, when you get notice that a dog isn't acting normally, you may choose to spare Elroy the lessons learned by putting them together.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
It sounds like Roddy's not feeling well, whether it's the prednisone or the scratch on the throat I cannot say. He'll be back to his usual self when he recovers. In the future, when you get notice that a dog isn't acting normally, you may choose to spare Elroy the lessons learned by putting them together.
Thanks @Liz,
I didn't get any notice of it. His owners hadn't even noticed that he was behaving differently. They said by himself his behavior was normal. The incident was 5 days ago.
Going forward, if I do get notice, we'll keep away until they're feeling better.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,093 Posts
Thanks @Liz,
I didn't get any notice of it. His owners hadn't even noticed that he was behaving differently. They said by himself his behavior was normal. The incident was 5 days ago.
Going forward, if I do get notice, we'll keep away until they're feeling better.
What I meant by notice was that you noticed he was off right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
During our walk this afternoon, Elroy decided we needed to visit his best buddy Roddy. We walked up the driveway and Roddy was on his (fenced in) back porch. Roddy wasn't acting himself and wasn't really excited to see Elroy. Usually he's very excited, barks exuberantly, and can't wait to get Elroy through the gate. I knocked on the door and Roddy's Mom, Patty came to the door and invited us in to play. Roddy still seemed out of character. He growled at Elroy when Elroy was "in his face" the same way he always is. I kept them apart and calmed Elroy down. We talked a bit, and I told Patty that Roddy wasn't acting like his usual self today. She said that a couple of days ago he swallowed a piece of cardboard and then wasn't acting right. They took him to the vet and he said his throat was scratched from the cardboard. He was given antibiotics and prednisone. He was still on the prednisone today, so I'm thinking that's why he is out of character. Does anyone have experience with dogs on prednisone? Does it change their behavior? Could this be why Roddy wasn't thrilled to see Elroy like he usually is? Hopefully things return to normal in short order. Note: There was no confrontation between them, and other than a low key warning growl on three occasions, each of which was heeded, they were sitting nose to nose (and a couple of kisses from Elroy).
I sure hope Roddy doesn’t have a blockage and is back to his old self soon. Scary the things these dogs will eat!

Those kisses you saw were likely appeasement gestures. Good boy, Elroy. If a situation like that arises again, I would praise Elroy for his good manners and then get the heck out of there. One growl. Okay. Two growls? Time to give Roddy space and protect Elroy from a potentially scary (or worse) interaction.

“Dogs under corticosteroid treatment were reported to be significantly less playful, more nervous/restless, more fearful/less confident, more aggressive in the presence of food, more prone to barking, more prone to startle, more prone to reacting aggressively when disturbed, and more prone to avoiding people or unusual situations.”

101 - 120 of 136 Posts