Poodle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,291 Posts
This is so helpful! Thank you so much!
I’d suggest finding someone to do a consult if you’re having trouble getting started. And make sure they’re certified. Anyone can call themselves a trainer or behaviourist. There are lots of people out there doing more harm than good. :( This becomes especially important if you want to use a corrections-based approach.

Here’s a good place to start:

Many are doing remote consults right now, so don’t let geography deter you from reaching out.

And don’t let cost deter you either. One hour with someone who’s amazing at their job can go a lonnnng way.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
@94Magna_Tom, I love hearing about the relationship between Elroy and your dad. So sweet. Will your dad be doing any doggysitting?
Yes, he has done so already! Elroy spent 12 hours at his house 2 weeks ago (@ 12 weeks old). Dad (85 years young widower) held Elroy in his lap for the drive home from the breeders on Gotcha day, so he and Elroy definitely have a good bond. He only lives 5 minutes away walking distance, so it's a frequent visit for a quick walk. I go there every Sunday for lunch. Today's visit was another great time for the both of them! As soon as we open the door, Elroy gets very excited and runs through the house until he finds "Grandpa". As I look for some pictures of the two of them, this reminds me I need to get more pictures of him and Elroy. I don't have many. Thanks for the comment, it means a lot!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Elroy is getting his Rabies shot this morning. I hope it doesn't make him feel crappy. CT regulations require it at 3 months. He's 14½ weeks now, so already overdue a tad. Anything episodic about your pups Rabies shot to convey?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Elroy is getting his Rabies shot this morning. I hope it doesn't make him feel crappy. CT regulations require it at 3 months. He's 14½ weeks now, so already overdue a tad. Anything episodic about your pups Rabies shot to convey?
Hugo was just more tired the day he got his rabies shot (required by 16 weeks of age in PA). I hope all goes well!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Elroy is 15 weeks this past Saturday (3 days ago). He's getting pretty good at fetch now. Started indoors with treats for holding the toy in his mouth, then treat to let go of the toy, then pick-up the toy and let it go (treat), then add a foot of distance and pick up the toy, bring it to me and let it go (treat) , then slowly increase the distance and exchange toys for balls, or whatever. This definitely makes exercising him a lot easier! Fun too! Tonight we played fetch for maybe (20) 15 foot throws and he brought it back every time even without a treat. The game was the reward!
No fetch pictures, this one is of him following and then eating a very small ant!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
It so hard to get a good picture! Lauren (the groomer) said he was very good. A little bit excited with the HV dryer, and not a huge fan of having his toenails filed. Other than that, he was pretty fine with everything.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
We knew the day would come. Your little boy is a very handsome young manpup now :).

61 - 80 of 136 Posts