24,765 Posts
Have a great time today.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Well Elroy didn't win any ribbons, but he had fun! Long winded story follows.
The way it works is a pheasant is stocked just before the dog and handler go out. The bird is down field about 100 yards I'd say. Pheasants usually stay put after stocking until they are disturbed. The handler instructs the dog to begin searching left and right about 5-10 yards in front of you as you slowly head down field towards the stocked bird. When you get closer to the bird, the dog picks up the scent and hones in on it and flushes it up out of the grass. When it's safe to shoot (high enough, away from people and dog), the hunter (or gunner) shoots the bird, and then then dog fetches and retrieves the bird. Points are given for search coverage, handler/dog communication, finding/flushing the bird, and retrieving and giving the bird to his handler.
Elroy didn't search all that well and preferred staying on the walking path rather than going into the thickets of grasses. He did go in half a dozen times, so he wasn't afraid to go in, just preferred the path. He never did find or flush the bird, but neither did the 3 dogs before him. We saw a pheasant (probably one that ran away from another dog) walking around across a small stream, so I instructed Elroy to go over there and "find it". He crossed the steam but he just wasn't picking up the scent. We returned to base without a bird.

At the end of the event I bought another trial, and asked for an easy stock position so Elroy would most likely find it. I let Elroy watch the guy stock the bird. Sort of a mistake, in hindsight. I wasn't carrying a gun, and had another "gunner" walking with me down the middle of the field, and a 2nd gunner walking along the far side of the field (field is only about 30 yards wide). When I let Elroy off leash and said "find it", he took off like a shot and went directly to the spot the bird was in and he flushed him up. Both gunners took shots but missed, so no retrieval opportunity. The reason they missed is because the bird was out of range of a shotgun. The reason it was out of range is that Elroy had gotten out too far in front of us when he ran immediately to the bird, he is supposed to "work the field" within a very close proximity to his handler. Oh well. We had fun!

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
It sounds like an interesting outing for him :). Are you going to do it again?
I'm not planning on hunting him, so probably not until the same event (it's a club fundraiser) next year. Although I think he really likes it! The live pheasant were sooo exciting to him!

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 · (Edited)
During tonight's evening walk, Elroy hiked up his right leg FOR THE FIRST TIME, and pee'd on a large tree ! He's been marking now for a couple of weeks, but was always doing it from a squatted position. We shall see if he continues to squat or switches to hiking a leg. For his first real leg hike, he looked like a pro!

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Luka started leg lifting about 1.5 months ago. He seems to enjoy it and hikes his leg really high. He likes it so much that he hikes his leg when he has to poo, then slowly lowers it LOL. This means now he poops near or on trees and fences
That's about the same time then, right? 8½+ months?

·
Premium Member
24,765 Posts
As I remember it Javelin was a prodigy on this starting to lift nearly all of the time when he was just over 6 months old. The biggest issue was that he went through a long phase on having terrible aim and peeing all over the back of his front legs. I used a damp paper towel to wipe him down if he came in the house with messy front legs. I hope Elroy has better aim than Javvy!

Reactions: Minie

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
I gave Elroy a bath today! He doesn't exactly love it, but he's very tolerant of it. When I was done, I patted him dry and let him shake the water off the best he can. I took him into the backyard to "zoom" around a bit and let some energy out! An hour or so later, I brushed and combed him some, then some more a little later. I didn't use a blow dryer at all and he looks great. He's going in for FFT, nails and ears on Friday. Full groom in another 3 weeks.
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Dog Door mat Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
377 Posts
I gave Elroy a bath today! He doesn't exactly love it, but he's very tolerant of it. When I was done, I patted him dry and let him shake the water off the best he can. I took him into the backyard to "zoom" around a bit and let some energy out! An hour or so later, I brushed and combed him some, then some more a little later. I didn't use a blow dryer at all and he looks great. He's going in for FFT, nails and ears on Friday. Full groom in another 3 weeks.
The airdry method you describe is what I've done with Hugo but I've asked for a HV dryer for my birthday so that in general I'll be more inclined to take him on messy outings. We have a local wooded dog park with a creek that he loves but he gets REALLY dirty. Elroy looks great!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The airdry method you describe is what I've done with Hugo but I've asked for a HV dryer for my birthday so that in general I'll be more inclined to take him on messy outings. We have a local wooded dog park with a creek that he loves but he gets REALLY dirty. Elroy looks great!
I also find that it’s easier to brush straightened hair vs. curly hair so the HV dryer helps between baths too as long as the dog doesn’t get totally soaked between baths.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 · (Edited)
Elroy is 9 months old tomorrow! He seems to have temporarily plateaued at just under 57 lbs. as he's been this weight for over 2 weeks now. Thank goodness too! Maybe it'll help to keep him under 70 lbs🤣!
Well he's been doing some digging in unwanted areas lately. Mostly he finds a spot in the lawn and dogs up about a 12 diameter hole. I just refill it and put grass seed down and move on. This only happens when he's unsupervised in the (fenced) yard. I guess he gets bored. Oops! Today he dug a bigger one, probably because the dirt was so soft and fluffy (garden beds). I'll put the Hyacinths back in and cover them over. Ohhh! Such a good boy😍!
Plant Grass Wood Tree Groundcover

Plant Dog Leaf Water dog Fence

Plant Water dog Dog Road surface Grass

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
119 Posts
Elroy is 9 months old tomorrow! He seems to have temporarily plateaued at just under 57 lbs. as he's been this weight for over 2 weeks now. Thank goodness too! Maybe it'll help to keep him under 70 lbs🤣!
Well he's been doing some digging in unwanted areas lately. Mostly he finds a spot in the lawn and dogs up about a 12 diameter hole. I just refill it and put grass seed down and move on. This only happens when he's unsupervised in the (fenced) yard. I guess he gets bored. Oops! Today he dug a bigger one, probably because the dirt was so soft and fluffy (garden beds). I'll put the Hyacinths back in and cover them over. Ohhh! Such a good boy😍!
Congratulations. It's so much fun when the dog aspires to gardening:rolleyes:

261 - 280 of 299 Posts