Poodle Forum banner
241 - 260 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 · (Edited)
We have an annual dog (pheasant flushing/pointing/retrieving) Field Trial contest at my club on November 7th. I've decided to enter Elroy in the puppy division! I got Elroy a hunting vest for visibility. I also got some pheasant wings from some successful hunters on Saturday. We've been practicing search/find/retrieve using the pheasant wings strapped onto a throwing dummy. He's getting pretty good at finding the "bird" using scenting in my small yard. He returns the "bird" to me about ½ the time, so not bad. I have a good number of shrubs and perennials that sort of resemble "brush/grasses" like that of the area the contest will be held in. I'm just doing it because I'm pretty sure it will be a lot of fun for the both of us. We'll keep practicing and we shall see how we do!

The video was the latter part of today's training and his bringing the "bird" to me wasn't great. Still not bad for his 3rd training session!

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
I'm very interested to hear how the pheasant trial goes. One of my neighbors wants me to train up Galen as pheasant dog. I've never cultivated any skill with firearms (archery was my gig), so I haven't pursued the matter. I don't want to pull a Cheney on Galen or another human.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Good boy Elroy. Do they have any training at your club for the field trial. He looks like he’ll be really good at it.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Training help can be had from other experienced hunters along with thier experienced dogs. I'm taking Elroy out Monday morning with a friend Mike and his dog. I have no idea how it will go. No official training sessions by the club. Elroy has already been exposed to gun shot (skeet and trap shooting range) on several occasions, and was OK with it each time. So that part should be good.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
It’s good to learn how to train properly in the beginning so you don’t have to fix too many mistakes.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Registered
396 Posts
Elroy is magnificent! I love the field vest - it makes him look so professional. This post gives me some ideas for Topper. He has a fairly high prey drive and has shown some talent at flushing grouse. I know a couple of hunters who could give us some wings but may need to wait till next year.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 · (Edited)
Elroy and I went for a good long walk today. 2 hrs 15 minutes in the woods, no leash the entire time. He never got tired, and still (always) has energy to burn. We're lucky to have access to this area of hiking trails along the Farmington River (a damned up portion called Rainbow Reservoir, actually)!

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Something came up today and since Elroy couldn't come with me, he got a pee/poop durability test. He had eaten his morning meal (I feed him 3x a day) and I left out his lunch with fresh water. I encouraged him to to go just before I had to leave, but no luck. He had been outdoors most of the time before I left, but I wasn't watching him. He probably pee'd, but I don't think he pooped. Anyway, I was gone 6½ hours and he did good. No accidents! I took him out as soon as I got home and he pee'd immediately and pooped after about 20 minutes. Yeah! Elroy done good!

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
We have an annual dog (pheasant flushing/pointing/retrieving) Field Trial contest at my club on November 7th. I've decided to enter Elroy in the puppy division! I got Elroy a hunting vest for visibility. I also got some pheasant wings from some successful hunters on Saturday. We've been practicing search/find/retrieve using the pheasant wings strapped onto a throwing dummy. He's getting pretty good at finding the "bird" using scenting in my small yard. He returns the "bird" to me about ½ the time, so not bad. I have a good number of shrubs and perennials that sort of resemble "brush/grasses" like that of the area the contest will be held in. I'm just doing it because I'm pretty sure it will be a lot of fun for the both of us. We'll keep practicing and we shall see how we do!

The video was the latter part of today's training and his bringing the "bird" to me wasn't great. Still not bad for his 3rd training session!
Today's the day! Field Trials! Elroy is scheduled for 11:45 EST. Field trials are from 9-3. Honestly I'm not expecting too much from him. I think he'll be able to flush the bird and find it after it's shot, but I'm doubtful he'll return it to me! "Such a fun treat!!! ...why would I give it up? "Then I need to bring him home, thoroughly brush him out (for burrs and ticks...eeek!), then get back to the club for a prime rib dinner. I'll update you later this evening or tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Here he is mentally preparing!

241 - 260 of 299 Posts