Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please meet Arwen, our new silver standard poodle! She turned 8 weeks old yesterday, and is such a joy. She currently enjoys snoozing in my arms, chewing on her stuffed mermaid toy, and barking at the antisocial cats (she can't IMAGINE why they don't want to play with her.)

I've wanted a Spoo for about 15 years, so Arwen is a dream come true. I'm very excited to watch her coat change as she grows older. I'm thinking she might be a darker silver since her face is not quite platinum?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Congratulations on a beautiful little girl Arwen. You will love watching her color change. I have a silver minipoo and the ombré effect is gorgeous.

Reactions: Evenstar

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and lovely Arwen!

Looking forward to your adventures :)

Reactions: Evenstar

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arwen is now 9 weeks old, and she is still such a joy. Her favorite activities are eating leaves, playing in the water hose, and stealing shoes. She is starting to figure out the potty training thing, and she woke me up at 3AM this morning to let me know that she needed to go out. I know poodles are smart, but she continues to impress me with how quickly she's learning!

I really wish we could find some puppy kindergarten classes in our area, or someone with a puppy her age for puppy playdates. My major worry right now is not being able to get her properly socialized. She's such an outgoing girl and I want to nurture that personality trait.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,819 Posts
I really wish we could find some puppy kindergarten classes in our area, or someone with a puppy her age for puppy playdates. My major worry right now is not being able to get her properly socialized. She's such an outgoing girl and I want to nurture that personality trait.
If you’ve not already, take a look through this thread: Pandemic Puppy Primer

Lots of good resources in there. :) Socializing with other dogs is important, but it’s just one small piece of the puzzle. Dr. Ian Dunbar says it best:

“Puppy classes are truly wonderful but they offer too little too late. Puppy classes are not a place to socialize barely socialized puppies. Instead puppy classes provide a safe forum for socialized puppies to continue socialization under the watchful eye of a trainer on the look out for warning signs of incipient temperament problems, especially fearfulness and aggression towards people, so that they may take immediately remedial action.”

From this excellent blog post: Why Don’t We Adequately Socialize Young Puppies With People?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you’ve not already, take a look through this thread: Pandemic Puppy Primer

Lots of good resources in there. :) Socializing with other dogs is important, but it’s just one small piece of the puzzle. Dr. Ian Dunbar says it best:

“Puppy classes are truly wonderful but they offer too little too late. Puppy classes are not a place to socialize barely socialized puppies. Instead puppy classes provide a safe forum for socialized puppies to continue socialization under the watchful eye of a trainer on the look out for warning signs of incipient temperament problems, especially fearfulness and aggression towards people, so that they may take immediately remedial action.”

From this excellent blog post: Why Don’t We Adequately Socialize Young Puppies With People?
Thank you! I hadn't checked out that thread yet, but I will right now. Our older dog was a rescue who never got properly socialized, so I don't want Arwen to grow up with any social issues. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arwen had a very eventful week. My 7-year old niece came over last weekend, and she and Arwen became fast friends. They chased each other all over the house and tuckered each other out. I think it was very good for both of them.

Fast forward to later in the week, and Arwen had a trip to the vet because of an allergic reaction to raw egg. I had added the egg to her kibble in hopes that it would increase palatability (she's been very picky with her kibble,) and she quickly swelled up and began to have labored breathing/vomiting. Very scary, and of course I felt horrible about it. Thankfully the vet fixed her up with some shots and she's doing wonderful now.

Photos show Arwen playing with my niece, and Arwen passed out after her allergic reaction. The shots made her so sleepy - poor baby.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Aww, poor Arwen. I hope there's another playdate with your niece planned to help her recover!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aww, poor Arwen. I hope there's another playdate with your niece planned to help her recover!
Thank you! My niece just got a 16-week old Australian Shepherd puppy, so I definitely foresee some more playdates in our future.

Thank heaven you caught that reaction quickly!
Thank you! Luckily my husband is working from home during the pandemic, so he caught it right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We bought Arwen a puppy swimming pool from Petco this weekend. She really loves the water hose and she often tries to climb into the shower with me, so I'm thinking she is going to like water. She hasn't quite figured out what to do with this new pool yet, but I can see the wheels turning in her head.

Attachments

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
482 Posts
We bought Arwen a puppy swimming pool from Petco this weekend. She really loves the water hose and she often tries to climb into the shower with me, so I'm thinking she is going to like water. She hasn't quite figured out what to do with this new pool yet, but I can see the wheels turning in her head.
Keep us posted on this! I'm thinking of getting one too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts