Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome Armani!

He's my little Clarion toy poodle (boy). I contacted Clarion because they come so heavily recommended by this forum! Phaz and I had both been talking about getting our Clarion poodles, and ended up getting them around the same time! They come from different lineages. This little boy is 16 weeks old at this point.
139337169_3581471265270508_1306040763797035856_n.jpg
139573194_430193081740244_7525585785067166648_n.jpg
138562127_718514872419196_8488225881938746131_n.jpg
139599882_4295657450462078_6232649714481687993_n.jpg
139477080_319787479355534_7598669859685646764_n.jpg
I had asked for an oversized toy/small mini that would have potential to become a therapy poodle. So far, this little boy is super friendly with everyone he meets, came to me already knowing how to walk on leash and sit, is fearless with vacuums, traffic, grooming, and readily falls asleep on my lap. He's definitely a calmer dog like Katherine told me he would be. The biggest issue we're working on right now is being alone (don't want to call it separation anxiety when he's still a puppy). He screams whenever he can't be right next to me or touching me, but I suppose that just comes with his love for people! I also think he'll change a lot as he gets settled in. Excited to help this little guy grow up and share with everyone! Also super open to suggestions on training!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Woops sorry everyone for the double post of pictures. If there's a possibility to change it please let me know!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Goodness he’s a cute little thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you will have soooo much fun with him. Do you have a TV or radio on when you leave him alone? that might help

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Thanks for letting us watch him grow up with you.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Omg they’re twins! Lol who’s your little one’s dad? Also Tekno didn’t like to be alone either but it’s rapidly improving by exercising him and then putting him in a comfy pen with plenty of toys and a snuffle rug. He cries a little bit and then entertains himself :).

·
Registered
923 Posts
Armani is very cute. Thanks for sharing your story and photos!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Another adorable pup! Oh boy I better go get busy doing something other than looking at puppy pictures, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! Will be posting more photos soon. Phaz, Armani is CIB, SE/NO/DK Sandust with love x Clarion You Make my Heart Sing! I thought they were related but who knows! That's a fantastic idea about the exercising. I've been practicing "settle" and leaving the room intermittently but I hadn't thought about really exercising him a lot to get him to miss me less. Will definitely be trying that today. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of the breeders I follow on FB posted this link for free online puppy class. The instructor helps new owners teach basic commands to their pups and other aspects of owning a puppy (like crate training and alleviating separation anxiety). There are 4 "weeks" of classes, probably about 8-10 hours of video, but so useful!

Puppy Class

·
Premium Member
9,997 Posts
What an adorable little guy! I’m a fan of your breeder and would gladly be waitlisted and get five recommendations to get a Clarion puppy. Congratulations on Armani! He’s all that:)

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Lovely pup - and thanks for my puppy fix.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Thanks everyone! Will be posting more photos soon. Phaz, Armani is CIB, SE/NO/DK Sandust with love x Clarion You Make my Heart Sing! I thought they were related but who knows! That's a fantastic idea about the exercising. I've been practicing "settle" and leaving the room intermittently but I hadn't thought about really exercising him a lot to get him to miss me less. Will definitely be trying that today. Appreciate it!
Oh yes, they are related :) Sandust is Tekno’s grandfather which makes your pup, his uncle 😁

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Phaz Oh awesome! So funny Armani has a nephew older than him ^.^. It's been great seeing him interacting with other pups on your post!

Armani's almost 16 weeks now, and I'm pretty sure he's grown an inch making him 10' now and 5.6-5.8 pounds. Really hoping he can grow at least 2 more inches but he already looks sturdier than the tiny pup I brought home. We are getting better with the separation anxiety; I am able to go to the bathroom when he's in the crate and he will stay silent for that time, but he still drops whatever he's doing to observe for my return. I want to work up to a point where he continues what he's doing whenever I leave. Obedience is going well, he's gotten heel and the basic sit/down/stand commands, will have to work on removing the hand signals.

It's super cold out in LI right now and he shivers even in his clothes so we've been socializing at local hardware stores and TJ Maxx. Dog socialization wasn't really happening so I signed him up for a doggy daycare. He seemed to have a lot of fun and didn't get hurt or anything, but I think hanging out with other dogs brought him to the realization that he can bark. He now barks sporadically throughout the day or when he sees another dog but overall he's still pretty quiet.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you for the update! I love hearing what everyone is doing to socialize their new babies. Interesting that he picked up on the barking. What a beautiful pup!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I made a mistake on my last post Armani is actually now 19 weeks old! Training his separation anxiety has been my #1 priority as always. I was feeling really hopeless a couple of days ago as I didn't think he was getting any better. But today I was able to take a shower with him in his crate in another room with minimal whining! I think he's starting to see his crate as a place of comfort, as he will whine a lot but he no longer bark-screams. I've also gotten him an Adaptil pheromone diffuser for anxiety and I'm giving him treats when I leave instead of when I come back in order to counter-condition him. I do repetitions of me leaving the room at increasing time intervals. It's been great watching videos of dog trainers Zak George and Kikopup, who had dogs with separation anxiety just as bad as Armani at 5 and 6 months. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one dealing with this, and even professional dog trainers have to slowly work through it and they end up with great dogs. I hope this 52 weeks can end up giving other members an idea of how long it actually takes to train out separation anxiety and whether it can ever be completely trained out.

In other news, Armani is doing well at his puppy training classes, where he seems like an angel compared to some of the other higher energy breeds. He's been able to work well and come when called even with all the other dogs in the room as distractions. He's also 6 pounds now and still the same height I believe. Here's a picture of him post-haircut looking cute, and a picture of him realizing that he's a dog and not a human. Also, here's a picture of his big bro Tofu, who we're bringing back to our condo after 3 weeks away in order to start acclimating the two together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts