Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My 5 month old moyen poodle is limping.
Yesterday he had a playdate and today we went to the park . He didn’t have any problem there .
We came back home today and after 2 hours suddenly he starts limping ( right front leg) , no pain ! I checked all his paw & brushed them but all is ok . Any idea what could be ? Do I have to bring him to the vet asap and ask for xry ?

thank you

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Is he otherwise OK? Eating, drinking, not unhappy? No squeaks or pulling away if you handle and gently manipulate the limb? If all is well other than a slight limp it sounds like a slight strain - I would keep him from bouncing, jumping and climbing stairs and see how he is in 24 hours before considering a vet appointment. If he seems to be in pain I would call the vet to ask about pain relief, but a bit of soreness is nature's way of telling the body to slow down and let things heal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , he is ok . Eating normal . I’ll take a look of him today otherwise I’ll bring him tomorrow to the vet .
Thank you

Is he otherwise OK? Eating, drinking, not unhappy? No squeaks or pulling away if you handle and gently manipulate the limb? If all is well other than a slight limp it sounds like a slight strain - I would keep him from bouncing, jumping and climbing stairs and see how he is in 24 hours before considering a vet appointment. If he seems to be in pain I would call the vet to ask about pain relief, but a bit of soreness is nature's way of telling the body to slow down and let things heal.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Check the paw carefully. A small thorn or something might have pierced the skin on that paw.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,809 Posts
FJM gives good advice above. It's hard to say from reading a description online, but it could just be growing pains. Give him plenty of rest - no running or jumping, but short walks are fine - and see how he feels after a day.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I would have his patellas checked at his next vet appointment. If it happens again, I would make an appointment.

·
Registered
849 Posts
How's puppy?

Basil's always bounced back right away and been pretty resilient after she run has yelped after running into a cement wall with her shoulder.

Sometimes they are like kids on a playground and sometimes boo boos happen when playing. It's not like they're graceful and elegant puppies 100% of the time (Sometimes the opposite).

·
Premium Member
10,017 Posts
I took Buck to the vet when he had a limp around that age. Nothing was broken , just a sprain. He got some anti inflammatory meds and was on restricted activity for 10 days. You may not need to take your pup to the vet, but definitely put him on a program of no jumping, running for at least a week.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Friends...!!!

I am Destiny M Jones Newly Joined to Poodle forum
Please do not respond to threads with replies that have nothing to do with the original topic, as I see you’ve done on another thread as well.

If you want to introduce yourself properly, please starte a new thread under member introductions. Tell us about yourself, introduce your dogs if you have any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts