Poodle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mine is doing this today. Chrome on android, using data. It didnt do it earlier today on wifi.but now multiple times
Plus, suddenly,today any time I hit enter or backspace on my cell keyboard it kicks me out of the text box. Not happening on other sites or forums

·
Administrator
721 Posts
We are actively working on this. Screenshots help or the details of the URL (for the ad link). We have forwarded several reports to our advertisers to have them identify the exact ones and remove them.

Daniel

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Hello all,

I am going to need the following info to get these reported and blocked. Next time it happens can you report the following and I will report them up the chain.

• Description of the issue, including frequency
  • Screenshot of the offending creative (containing the time and date, if possible)
  • Date and time (including timezone) when it occurred
  • URL of the page on which the ad was seen
  • Platform, OS, and browser
  • Geographical location of user (city, state, country)
  • IP address of user
  • Position of the ad on the page
  • Advertiser URL (if you click on the ad, where does it go?)
  • Text file containing the full ad HTML call
Thanks in advance,
Jeff M

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Hello all,

I am going to need the following info to get these reported and blocked. Next time it happens can you report the following and I will report them up the chain.

• Description of the issue, including frequency
  • Screenshot of the offending creative (containing the time and date, if possible)
  • Date and time (including timezone) when it occurred
  • URL of the page on which the ad was seen
  • Platform, OS, and browser
  • Geographical location of user (city, state, country)
  • IP address of user
  • Position of the ad on the page
  • Advertiser URL (if you click on the ad, where does it go?)
  • Text file containing the full ad HTML call
Thanks in advance,
Jeff M
Seriously? This is a bit onerous for many members who don't have the sort of tech experience you're asking for.

What happened to

poodleadm
Administrator

Joined Sep 16, 2009
718 Posts

#22 2 d ago
We are actively working on this. Screenshots help or the details of the URL (for the ad link). We have forwarded several reports to our advertisers to have them identify the exact ones and remove them.

Daniel

This issue appears randomly, has done so thru the several years I've been a member, and appears in many (if not all) VS owned forums.

Online research suggests that the ad packages sold to VS and deposited on the unsuspecting forums contain the culprits. Perhaps some closer vetting of those are in order?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Using Advanced Search> keyword "hijack"> parameter Site News and Information

August 22 2018 seems to be the first report on PF. It does primarily, but not exclusively, target Apple tech.

If tech for VS seriously doesn't have this history logged somewhere, something else is also not right.
Just to amuse myself, I'll do a similar search on some other VS forums.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am also not going to be clicking through these links - i dont click! They just redirect mid scroll on a page. Appears to happen to me, primarily while using data, though has happened in the past. I dont have the energy to track down ip addresses, etc on a phone , nor woukd i share that info publicly. Easier to just not use the forum when this is an issue. And often while i am attemptjng to report it, the page i am reporting it on redirects. O

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Hello everyone,

These ads should now have been stopped for all devices. We have been able to identify the primary advertiser and put a stop to these pop-up ads. If you continue to see any of these ads, please let us know.

I understand that the information we requested previously was very detailed, but this information is critical to locating the exact advertiser as some ads are location based or device based. The more information we get, the easier it is to locate the advertiser and remove the specific ads.

Thank you for your patience through this, these ads should no longer be bothering you.

Daniel

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hello everyone,

These ads should now have been stopped for all devices. We have been able to identify the primary advertiser and put a stop to these pop-up ads. If you continue to see any of these ads, please let us know.

I understand that the information we requested previously was very detailed, but this information is critical to locating the exact advertiser as some ads are location based or device based. The more information we get, the easier it is to locate the advertiser and remove the specific ads.

Thank you for your patience through this, these ads should no longer be bothering you.

Daniel
Thank you for your help.

Is there any explanation as to why certain OS's or devices are more susceptible?

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Is there any explanation as to why certain OS's or devices are more susceptible?
The ads (like the normal banner ones that will still remain) have specific criteria to help select the most relevant to you. Obviously ads help pay for the site, so there will always be some level of ads here and many advertisers want to use as direct as possible to reach most users. These ads can be specific to devices, locations or other criteria for this reason. In this case, the advertiser was primarily aimed at mobile users, more so for apple users. But every case can be different and this is why it can be hard to pinpoint where they are coming from and takes a little time to stop them.

We strive to ensure that our ad partners do not have ads that interfere with your ability to use the forum. Again, the ads in general will remain, but they should not prevent you from visiting the forum or appear malicious in any way as this detracts from the experience.

Wondering if the “you have viruses” messages are gone too. Thanks!
I am under the impression that they were included with the ads from that particular advertiser. Any ads that were pop-up or screen filling have been removed to my knowledge. If you do continue to see any of these type of ads on the forum, please let us know. We would ask that you provide a screenshot, date and time, and details of the device and browser you are using. That way we can pinpoint the advertiser and have them removed quickly.

Daniel

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts