Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my local Craigslist. Could someone really have paid that much?

Lost home & job - needed to surrender F2 Labradoodle Male to Maricopa Animal Shelter. He is 3 years old, aprioct, microchipped and house trained. Does not bark and GREAT with kids. Adoptable Poodle: CHARLEY: Petfinder check him out. Please adopt him. I brought him from a good breeder for $4500. He does not shed and loves people.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Unless he was bought as a breeder, I can not imagine that an F2 (F1 + F1) would command this sort of price. I'm guessing that it is a typo ($450) or an outright falsehood.

Regardless of his original price, they might want to do the dog a favor and get him groomed. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't think it's a typo. I've heard about people paying more than $2000 for a labradoodle, so I'm not at all surprised... crazy if you ask me! :doh:
This one woman who came over to a tastefully simple party my friend was hosting paid $3500 for her ugly labradoodle.... just looking at it I could see he had a nice thick undercoat... is probably going to shed like crazy.

See this add on one of my local breeder websites. :wacko:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
This one woman who came over to a tastefully simple party my friend was hosting paid $3500 for her ugly labradoodle.... just looking at it I could see he had a nice thick undercoat... is probably going to shed like crazy.

See this add on one of my local breeder websites. :wacko:
Yes but the $3500 Doodle was probably an Australian Labradoodle imported from down under ($2500 + shipping). The above bitch is being sold as a breeder so they are charging more. I've seen people pay $20,000 for an intact Australian Labradoodle breeding dog. But understand that if you get $2500 for puppies and 7-10 puppies in a litter and you breed the bitch 6 times.... well there is money to be made.

An F2 is the product of an F1 + F1 breeding (F1 = Poodle and Lab). An F2 cross is a highly problematic cross because as a breeder you get regression to parent breed type. You often end up with 1/2 the litter looking like Doodles but 1/4 looking like Labs and 1/4 looking like full Poodle.

Re cost... The bottom has really dropped out of the Doodle market and on the Doodle Breeders forum I see that a number of breeders are having trouble placing puppies. They are also complaining about falling prices and putting pressure on breeders to not drop prices (BTW...this is price fixing and it is illegal).

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It had to happen sometime. No way could these dog continue to command such high prices forever. Pretty soon everybody's got one and the more breeders that are out there the more available the dogs become and the more puppies are born. Why are they surprised when there is an over supply so to speak. They are flooding their market and of course prices will drop. Plus the economy, gosh I want a spare 4500 just hanging around... that would be nice lol.

As it is, if I drop that kind of cash on a dog, even a purebred show dog it better have like golden poo or something

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It had to happen sometime. No way could these dog continue to command such high prices forever. Pretty soon everybody's got one and the more breeders that are out there the more available the dogs become and the more puppies are born. Why are they surprised when there is an over supply so to speak. They are flooding their market and of course prices will drop. Plus the economy, gosh I want a spare 4500 just hanging around... that would be nice lol.

As it is, if I drop that kind of cash on a dog, even a purebred show dog it better have like golden poo or something
I completely agree. More supply than demand kills the market. Now maybe this whole lab/golden doodle thing will start to settle down. They are finally seeing the light to some extent. But, no surprise when so many are just pumping out these pups for gain with no regard to any type of protocol/standard.

If I had $4,500 laying around, it would go right back into our program!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Its crazy. I met a woman on the weekend when I was out walking Betty Jo. We stopped to chat for a min about dogs and she told me that she had paid $1800 for her doodle and it was spayed. It wasn't even a good looking one. You've really got to wonder.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Re cost... The bottom has really dropped out of the Doodle market and on the Doodle Breeders forum I see that a number of breeders are having trouble placing puppies. They are also complaining about falling prices and putting pressure on breeders to not drop prices (BTW...this is price fixing and it is illegal).
I agree. I went on petfinder the other day, searching for a poodle... all that came up was poodle mixes and mostly labradoodles. It was kind of sad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I dont know how/why people would do such a stupid thing. You could get a CAR for that (a POS, but that's besides the point :) )

I'm not going to go into a long spill about BYB and designer breeders and the idiocy that runs amuck in those circles.....

but I hope the pup ends up with a good home.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have been to quite a few puppy classes now, and the number of doodles and whatever poos is crazy! In our class tonight out of 11 puppies we had a Bernedoodle, a Goldendoodle and another Doodle the mix of which escapes me. The Goldendoodle was shaggy and quite wild.

We also had a purebred Bernese Mountain Dog in our class, who was so sweet and adorable! I just don't see why if you want a big dog you wouldn't just get the Bernese rather than trying to Doodle it. We played pass the puppy, and I ended up with the Bernese. I didn't want to give him up when it was time to. :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't get the fascination with spending the ton of money on them... my 85$ doodle is an AMAZING dog and there are plenty of these dogs in shelters/pounds that the people who go and pay this obscene amount of money make my head hurt v.v;

and Cdj I agree!! I love the Bernese and Newfies!! :D
my friend has a Newfoundland that I'm just in love with

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
this is Neko our lab poo mix :D
we adore him even if we have massive clumps of hair covering our clothes every morning ((we keep 3 lint rollers in each car because of him v.v; ))

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a two cent opinion that you can take or throw back at me...

I think a lot of it has to do with bragging rights. It's like a pissing contest on who can spend the most on their dog and have the coolest "doggie bragging rights".

Dogs don't know or care how much you spend on them. All they care about is how much you love them, what kinda toys you'll get them, and when/waht they get fed.

:)

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with bragging rights. It's like a pissing contest on who can spend the most on their dog and have the coolest "doggie bragging rights".
Ugh! It's like when I used to ride. There were forever people who just had to import dressage horses from Europe so they could tell everyone else at the barn where the horse came from and how much they spent. One family paid $80,000 to bring over a horse for their 9 yr old who was a beginner rider (I swear I'm not making this up!). The poor girl got dump hard three times before her parents went out and bought her a cheap Quarter horse X pony that was more her speed. :doh:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have a two cent opinion that you can take or throw back at me...

Dogs don't know or care how much you spend on them. All they care about is how much you love them, what kinda toys you'll get them, and when/waht they get fed.

:)

Just my two cents.
Definitely! I think for a lot of people it's all about bragging rights.

Unfortunately I think some people also adopt dogs to have some kind of bragging rights or to turn themselves into "mr or mrs good-deeds".

For instance - the shelter in our area is usually over flowing with abandoned and stray pets.
A year or so ago there was a huge puppy mill raid. All the dogs from the puppy mill raid ended up coming to the local shelter.
Out of the blue people were queuing up to adopt dogs. They were waiting outside that humane society for hours to be able to adopt one of the puppy mill dogs.
What I want to know is: Where were all those people before?

And don’t get me wrong. I totally support people adopting dogs. I adopted Ponki. But I don’t think you should only be interested in adopting a dog so you can say he came from a puppy mill or have a horrific story to tell every time someone asks you about your dog. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Unfortunately I think some people also adopt dogs to have some kind of bragging rights or to turn themselves into "mr or mrs good-deeds".
So true! Rescue dogs are the other most common "breed" outside of the doodles and poos we meet. Although I of course think the majority of people have their heart in the right place when they rescue, some do seem as if they did it as a sort of mercy mission or to be able to be superior and say "oh my dog's a rescue". Having said that I would rather all the doodle/ poo people rescue than support all these mixed dog "breeders".

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, I AGREE with the Mr. and Mrs. Good Deeds. It's kind of a status thing there as well sometimes. Not all the time, and there is nothing wrong with it either way but I love the people who the first thing they tell you is that this dog is a rescue. I also love how they all want to tell you that their rescue dog was from an abusive home and they will point to just basic poor socialization to prove it. "Look he's been beaten obviously he's afraid of people" Or "He hates men b/c a man abused him" :rolffleyes: Those dog's exist to be sure but I don't think they are the majority of dogs in shelters, at least not here they aren't.

I once had an owner of a chow mix come into my shop and see Jazz in the kennel. She went on and on about how awful it was that the owner of 'that dog" didn't go and adopt and why did they need to get a purebred. She will never ever own a purebred.. blah blah blah. I might add here that she refuses to get her from the shelter mix breed rescue fixed b/c she just might breed him. I kind of cleared my throat and told her Jazz WAS adopted and she happened to be MY dog.

Of course if you stole wonder and held her for ransom I would pay 4500 to get her back LoL. The jury is still out on Howie (he pee'd on the big girls crate yesterday) and the two spoos but Wonder... I'd pay that much for her :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts