·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
:(

sounds like dogs were in good condition (Well 'ok' condition) but the house was not

theres no way one person can properly take care of that many dogs

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's not the only one.
Whispering Pines Standard Poodles Marshall VA.

Front page - above the fold - Fauquier Times Democrat dated Friday, April 16th -

"34 Poodles Seized from home"...in Marshall, VA.

To summarize the article - breeder advertises on Craigslist, person comes and purchases standard poodle puppy, sees 2 adult dogs in the house and hears others. After purchasing the puppy she contacts AC and complains that the animals were being poorly treated.

She claimed that there was a strong ammonia smell and soiled carpeting inside the home.

Said the puppy she bought had a heavily soiled and matted coat and a skin infection.

Police went to the house but refused entrance. They got a search warrant and investigated the "general welfare and living conditions of all of the animals specifically checking for food and water and a clean living area. They also looked for proof of veterinary care, county dog licenses and a breeder's license."

They confiscated the dogs based on the "unhealthy condition of the living environment. "

The owner, Katharine Rene Dokken - has NOT been charged. Hearing to be held on Thursday.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I visited this site WP once and just got an eewwiie feeling :(

I wonder what will become of all these dogs. And in VA they only allow you to adopt from that state from what I seen, unless these dogs go to another shelter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yikes! I live right around there, and I had not heard of this! I have not heard of this breeder either. Solebury is a very nice area to live right outside of Doylestown. Lots of huge expensive homes, and large rolling properties. Lots of lawyers/doctors/professionals live in this area. She sounds like a typical hoarder. What a shame. At least the dogs appeared to be in good health. I feel bad for the owner of the property for sure! I bet the dogs are going to the SPCA in New Hope.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Breeder is Belcanto Standard Poodles.

Anyone know her? Thoughts?
Yep... concerns about her for years. Mental health issues etc. Glad someone finally did something.

I think she owns the sire of Vacheron's dogs. (Anybody talk to Vacheron lately?)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's another article about her from The Examiner/Feb. 2008:

Board investigates Meirs Road kennel complaints

Breeder is operating in conformance with twp. ordinances
BY JANE MEGGITT Staff Writer

UPPER FREEHOLD - The township's Board of Health has determined that aMeirs Road woman who breeds dogs is not running an illegal kennel.

After hearing about an investigation of the property and listening to the resident, the board decided at its Feb. 12 meeting that Grace Lossman is a hobby breeder who is not running a business from her home.

Township Code Enforcement Official Ron Gafgen had sent Lossman a letter on Jan. 17 telling her to cease her operation immediately as animal control and health department representatives had recently visited her property to investigate complaints regarding the selling and raising of dogs.

A Jan. 18 letter from Freehold Area Health Department official Julie Kramer stated that the health department had received complaints that Lossman's dogs did not have sanitary living quarters or access to water. The letter also stated that people had complained of Lossman owning 20 dogs and possibly operating an illegal kennel.

According to Animal Control Officer Mary Klink, township ordinances permit residents to own up to five dogs on properties under two acres and up to eight dogs on larger tracts. Klink said that township ordinances also permit additional dogs under a certain age. Operations exceeding those limitations would require a kennel license, she said.

According to Kramer's letter, Lossman had 16 dogs in her home at the time of inspection. Kramer's letter also stated that Lossman feeds stray cats.

Lossman told the board that she has eight adult dogs, one male and seven females. She said the other dogs referenced in Kramer's letter are puppies.

Chairman Dr. S. Perrine Dey asked Lossman about the chain of events that caused Gafgen to send her the letter.

Lossman told the board that she received a visit on Jan. 4 from Klink, Kramer,Monmouth County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) investigator Stu Goldman and animal welfare representative Anita Stout. Lossman said the visitors told her that people had filed complaints about her home.

Lossman told the board that she had hip replacement surgery on Dec. 17 and had employed several people to clean and care for the dogs while she was in the hospital. She assumed the employees were the source of the complaints. She also said that prior to surgery, she had been unable to bend down and clean the floors.

Lossman said she breeds one litter of standard poodles per year for the "perfect agility dog." She showed the board photographs and health records of her dogs.

"My girls have careers," she said, noting that her 9½-year-old poodle Laura has only had one litter during her lifetime.

"You can't interrupt training with litters," she said.

Lossman said she does not operate a kennel and rarely deals with the public. She said she only works with people who are seriously interested in dog obedience and agility work.

Board member and veterinarian Dr. Kathy Stryeski said she believes Lossman's operation is a hobby kennel and does not require a kennel license. Stryeski said she showed dogs for 28 years and understands "where [Lossman] is coming from."

Stryeski said the definition of a kennel is a business. She said there is no way Lossman makes money selling the occasional litter.

Board member James Rosenbauer commended Lossman for her hobby, calling it a worthwhile pursuit.

In an interview, Stout said that all of Lossman's dogs looked like they were in good condition during the visit. She said that Lossman feeds the dogs the Bones and Raw Food (BARF) diet, whichmay not have seemed healthy for the dogs to the complainants, but is recommended by veterinarians.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Statement from Poodle Club of America Rescue

Anita McKenna and I have spoken to the Bucks County Humane Society
today regarding the 44 standard poodles that were taken. They were
very grateful for the phone calls and we offered financial as well as
physical assistance. At this time they say they can handle it and will
work with any co-owners to get the dogs back into their hands upon
proof of co-ownership. PCA rescue will send a donation for the care of
the dogs and we will now step aside and let them do their work. As I
said, they were very nice, very cooperative and were truly thankful
that we care and are willing to step in if they need us. They will
also keep us updated on the progress. I am leaving this in the capable
hands of Anita McKenna and she will keep me posted. My thanks to Anita
for handling the situation as it is geographically nearer to her and
she is a large part of our rescue team.

Sally Poindexter
Poodle Club of America Rescue Foundation, Inc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the AKC Kennel Check Report:http://www.belcantostandardpoodles.com/AKCinspection.pdf

And more info: Belcanto Standard Poodles, Standard Poodles, Standard Poodle puppies for sale

Although I don't breed, never have or will, I am friends with many conformation people & a member of an all breed kennel club.

Because we live in the Chicago area very few of my show friends have an appropriate set-up for multiple dogs. Most are way over the dog limit of the suburb they live in but cannot realistically move because their job that pays the bills is in the city.

Most worry that they could potentially get caught and end up in this situation.

I'm not defending this breeder, don't know her & never heard of her til the story broke. She did feed raw, did conformation & agility and performed health testing. But have to wonder if the conditions are exagerrated so the SPCA could seize her dogs. What a great find for them, I'm sure there would be no shortage of adoptive homes for beautiful, healthy retired show poodles.

I am a strong advocate of rescue, when dogs really need rescuing. But am far more a believer in pet owners rights and absolutely think HSUS & PETA want to take away all of our rights to own dogs.

There are horrific conditions in true puppy mills nationwide. How about shutting those down & seizing the dogs who have never felt the grass beneath their feet, are covered in sores & feces & never ate a decent meal.

Seems to me this breeder was overwhelmed by the number of dogs and had an incredible amount of nerve to house all those dogs in a rental property.
Did she not think that if her landlord found out, the **** would hit the fan?

I am very interested in the outcome of this.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What?? I mean the owner of the home never allowed the woman to have 40 dogs!! Who in their right mind can take care of 40 dogs?? I don't even think you can take care of 10 standard poodles properly if you are just doing it by yourself. They are a highly energetic breed, they are intelligent, and they require a lot of maintance ESPECIALLY if they are showing in conformation. Who in their right mind would house 40 SPOOS inside a home? Do you think the woman that owned the home exaggerated what had happened to her house? Because the SPCA wasn't the only one quoted on the conditions of that place. I don't really think that the SPCA has enough time and money to go around trying to "steal" people's show dogs so that they can rehome them and earn extra money. The most they will rehome them for is $250 and that's after they are all spayed/neutered and vetted out. No way that none of them will require some type of vet treatment. No way she could afford vet treatment for 40 dogs. The monthly heartworm alone would cost more than someone's mortgage payment living in a very nice home.

Why does the fact that she fed raw make her any better than someone that had the grocery store brand food in bowls for 40 dogs? She was a hoarder. Hoarding is an illness. That woman has no idea what is right and wrong and she is putting herself, her family, and those dogs at risk because of her illness.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
What?? I mean the owner of the home never allowed the woman to have 40 dogs!! Who in their right mind can take care of 40 dogs?? I don't even think you can take care of 10 standard poodles properly if you are just doing it by yourself. They are a highly energetic breed, they are intelligent, and they require a lot of maintance ESPECIALLY if they are showing in conformation. Who in their right mind would house 40 SPOOS inside a home? Do you think the woman that owned the home exaggerated what had happened to her house? Because the SPCA wasn't the only one quoted on the conditions of that place. I don't really think that the SPCA has enough time and money to go around trying to "steal" people's show dogs so that they can rehome them and earn extra money. The most they will rehome them for is $250 and that's after they are all spayed/neutered and vetted out. No way that none of them will require some type of vet treatment. No way she could afford vet treatment for 40 dogs. The monthly heartworm alone would cost more than someone's mortgage payment living in a very nice home.
Why does the fact that she fed raw make her any better than someone that had the grocery store brand food in bowls for 40 dogs? She was a hoarder. Hoarding is an illness. That woman has no idea what is right and wrong and she is putting herself, her family, and those dogs at risk because of her illness.
44 Dogs. And the RAW food did not mean she was doing this the right way. RAW feeding. Didn't sound like I would fed my dogs this way - they don't eat anything I wouldn't.

The grooming alone or lack of is enough to say she has a problem, this woman knows better with all the years experience she had!

ETA - you said everything I was thinking ^^
Maybe the woman needs help, someone needed to step in period. :scared:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Maybe the woman needs help, someone needed to step in period. :scared:
I agree I'm glad someone went in and will hopefully find the dogs a nice place to live forever!!

but this woman/family ((not sure if it was just her or not)) needs help hoarding is a real issue, I mean its a psychological disorder that needs INTENSE therapy to fix
if shes a hoarder ((And 44 dogs...that sounds like some sorta screwed up thing to me XD)) unless shes banned from owning animals in the state of PA she'll have another 40 something in 5 years

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Im just shocked about everything ! :wacko::doh:

poor dogs , there is a very GOOD article about show breeders or "Legit" breeders that are hoarders !

It was in poodle variety ! if I find it I will scan it at work today. I think its a must read for puppy buyers !

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Here is the AKC Kennel Check Report:http://www.belcantostandardpoodles.com/AKCinspection.pdf

And more info: Belcanto Standard Poodles, Standard Poodles, Standard Poodle puppies for sale

Although I don't breed, never have or will, I am friends with many conformation people & a member of an all breed kennel club.

Because we live in the Chicago area very few of my show friends have an appropriate set-up for multiple dogs. Most are way over the dog limit of the suburb they live in but cannot realistically move because their job that pays the bills is in the city.

Most worry that they could potentially get caught and end up in this situation.

I'm not defending this breeder, don't know her & never heard of her til the story broke. She did feed raw, did conformation & agility and performed health testing. But have to wonder if the conditions are exagerrated so the SPCA could seize her dogs. What a great find for them, I'm sure there would be no shortage of adoptive homes for beautiful, healthy retired show poodles.

I am a strong advocate of rescue, when dogs really need rescuing. But am far more a believer in pet owners rights and absolutely think HSUS & PETA want to take away all of our rights to own dogs.

There are horrific conditions in true puppy mills nationwide. How about shutting those down & seizing the dogs who have never felt the grass beneath their feet, are covered in sores & feces & never ate a decent meal.

Seems to me this breeder was overwhelmed by the number of dogs and had an incredible amount of nerve to house all those dogs in a rental property.
Did she not think that if her landlord found out, the **** would hit the fan?

I am very interested in the outcome of this.

Kathy
I agree w/ you completely. I don't know the breeder and I don't if she was a good breeder or not. However, I think this whole thing was blown out of proportion. It's my understand that the whole issue is a result of a tenant/landlord dispute. The basement flooded and the breeder insisted it be fixed. I'm very confused about the number too. The original reports were much lower than 40 and no two reports seem to have the same number. If you read Redcricket's post, the breeder was found to be in the right. Not to mention every single article I've read mentioned something about sending donations to this SPCA. I'm sure they will be keeping those donations even though it doesn't sound like the dogs needed to be rescued. Unfortunately, many shelters are outsourcing animal control and those companies often will do anything to make a profit. (Anything from raiding a breeder to get publicity and donations to deeming any dog they wish aggressive or sick just so it's doesn't affect their high adoption rates.) I think 40 dogs is absolutely too many and I think the landlord had everyright to start eviction procedings. I don't think seizing the dogs, exposing them to disease and risking accidental pregnancies was appropriate.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think it's VERY easy to hide the fact that you are indeed a hoarder through "showing dogs" and having a state of the art kennel facility. No one needs to have tons of dogs to show. Just in my opinion, if you have more dogs than you can comfortably house inside your home, you need to reevaluate your situation but that's just my opinion don't jump all over me if you disagree. Large numbers of dogs get lost in the shuffle as far as temperament evaluations, socializing, and just plain learning to live inside a home and being part of a family. Then they get pawned off on the general public through the marketing of them being show dogs. Just because a dog can go to a show and perform for it's handler doesn't make it a wonderful family pet. It's just used to going to shows as that's what it's life is. I don't know this stuff gives a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I think it's VERY easy to hide the fact that you are indeed a hoarder through "showing dogs" and having a state of the art kennel facility.
This is why i need to find that article in poodle variety it talks about this !. people think they are excellent breeders but behind closed doors they are hoarders !

My dad Is a Hoarder and I know how it is to live with one. Its not Pleasant at all, the hoarding usually is due to depression of some sort that the person does not disclose to family and friends.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts