Poodle Forum banner

3 YO Standard Seizure

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jbean 
Hoping for some insight, advice, anything at all at this point - Dublin had a seizure yesterday afternoon and it was one of the scariest things i've ever witnessed concerning my dogs. It came completely out of the blue.

I know next to nothing about seizures except what to do (or not do) during one. How common is it for a three year old, otherwise healthy and active, standard poodle to have them?

He's never had one before. There's nothing "new" in his life (IE dietary, environmental, etc). He was with me at work when it happened, nothing new there either, and i bring him every 3 weeks to brush him out and bathe him so he doesn't tangle up so while he isn't a fan of the process he tolerates it.

He was perfectly fine all morning leading up. And he recovered fine after, though it felt like it took forever. He's seen the vet (was brought there immediately following), was looked over, and had blood drawn, but they basically said it's a wait-and-see thing right now. He might have another one, he might not.

I hate playing this kind of waiting game. It never even crossed my mind to be worried about seizures with him. I know that having one doesn't mean he's suddenly going to start having them regularly but i'm still kinda freaked out - probably over thinking, but any advice or insight would be welcome.
Hugs to you and Dublin!! One PF member I hope will add into this conversation because she has experience with this.

Norman, my now 8 month old SPoo had a very minor seizure about a month or so back. Very scary and just pure confusion went through my mind. I was worried it was his flea and tick medicine, but it was not after further investigation. Many sleepless nights. To this day I still check on him when he has night-terrors (kicking) just to make sure its not a seizure.

To this day, I still do not know what happened. Called 2-3 vets and got their advice. The overall conclusion was this was just a spark in his brain. There really sometimes is no direct cause and this was Norman's case.

As for you, depending on how "intense" it was, I would have Dublin looked at though there are many tests that can be done, but that is if you want this to be done to your dog. If there are more in the future, they will have more answers and plans for you.

As hard as it'll be, it is best to stay calm when it happens (if it every happens again). Dont allow anyone near Dublin, especially animals because the dog suffering from a seizure may react to the scary feeling. I researched this tons and I think you should just look into what your dog has been doing. Flea/tick meds, food recalls, soaps, conditioners, toothpaste, etc.

From the link below "If these tests are normal and there is no exposure to poison or recent trauma, further diagnostics may be recommended, depending on the severity and frequency of the seizures. Occasional seizures (less frequently than once a month) are not as worrisome, but they can become more frequent or more severe. In this instance, a spinal fluid analysis may be performed."

They can happen just due to the brain having a fit. Take Dublin to the vet or call them and ask their opinion. As far as starting tons of tests, that is up to you. I did not get Norman tested because I trusted his vet who knows him well. Norman is a happy and healthy pup with no history of anything or genetic issues.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seizures-general-for-dogs

Good luck! Hugs hugs hugs!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.