Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've just had ready lawn laid, and now have to keep the pup in for 3 weeks. We are walking 4 times a day, the first three are just around the block through the park for a pee, and then the usual hour in the evening. There is also a paddock space next door where I'm welcome to use kindergarten play equipment as an agility course which is fantastic as well. He's still pretty stir crazy inside though, what else can I do to exercise his mind? At least I didn't seed the lawn...that'd be 3 months!:doh:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sounds like you exercise plenty. Good thing about poodles is they dont need a ton of physical activity. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too concerned about the physical exercise, it's more the boredom.
He's only 11 months and already showing signs of cabin fever.
I've taught him to jump through a hoop, so he goes through the hoop onto the couch, sits, then through the hoop onto the floor.

Any other ideas of inside stuff to keep his brain ticking?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Eh, pups are like kids , you know. If he is used to run in the yard most of the day for 10 months now- changing a routine will make him fuss a little , but you are doing great regarding of the amount of exercise !!! If he is bored , than he will have to play on his own sometimes - you can not be his playmate 24/7 !

Try to buy some engaging toys , like ones that are wobbly and move across the room easily when "nosed" so he will chase it around and they usually have a small compartment in which you can put small treat so he can spend time trying to take it out ; ). I am sorry that I forgot exact name of the toy - but saw it in Petco the other day . There are others like that anyway ... Also - chewing is usually what makes them busy - so any high quality chewing treat should tickle his senses.

Try opening window coverings wide open so he can see out of what is happening - birds, squirrels, people passing ...

Maybe some Sesamie Street on TV he he, JK, but my friend had a dog that liked to watch Animal Planet LOL

Hope I was of any help

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I would try to do 15 minutes of obedience training. Our PWD is VERY high energy, and my mom finds that if she takes her out into the park for 15 minutes of intense obedience that requires concentration every evening, she needs less intense exercise.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Is there anyway he can have a run in the morning as well not just a walk around the block. perhaps he needs to release more energy in the morning as well.
Good luck to you I hear you on the change of routine as we just moved from 3 acres to a townhouse LOL my guys went a little stir crazy but also got spayed 4 days after we moved then I ended up with pnomonia so they didn't get walked at all for a few days just let out in that little patch of grass out back door

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I bought my cats one of these. They never played with it. Teddy loves it, and he even plays with it the way it was intended. It keeps him occupied for 10-15 minutes at a time.

He will also chew on his bully stick for what seems like hours. And when he gets tired of playing with toys and chew sticks, he plays with the cat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Haha, Marian, I thought about buying our cat one of these last night... good to know if Ick doesn't like it, I can give it to PBear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts