Poodle Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ok Ill confess I only read Catherines posts and I apologize for probably spelling your name wrong and this is a fact,, we are country people and our young poodle was a super bity jerk. At one point I could not stand it any more and grabbed a stick which I then whacked her on the butt with. This turned into a reconditioning in that when I had a stick in my hand she would try to grab IT instead of biting us. Probably not the recommended means to an end but it flat out worked. Do what works that you can live with.
I would not agree with this method because it's not the relationship I want to have with my dog. Poodles are very sensitive and do not react well to heavy handling. My dog can be very stubborn and hard headed at times, but I know that he's also very soft and gets his feelings hurt easily. It's also risky to teach a puppy that you may react with violence because they may start reacting violently back. I don't have an issue with a firm reprimand that clearly communicates the desired response, but I don't think hitting a puppy with a stick does this. I find it a bit disturbing that you see it as success. I see it more as your dog grabbing the stick because she was afraid you would hurt her with it. And that's definitely not something I would want my puppy thinking about me.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Teddysmom..I also put our dogs into crate when their behavior got out of hand and it was done to no ill effect, they still loved their crate. However I made sure it wasn't like a punishment. When they got unruly I'd leash them out take them to their potty spot come in wait a few minute so they didn't associate potty with going back to crate and then put them in for a nap. Puppies need rest on and off during the day and their crate works well. They can be like toddlers having a melt down when over tired.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts