Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,759 Posts
I find pushing a pup off you and yelping for hard nips to be utterly useless. For both Lily and Javelin it just made them more excited and led to them jumping and biting which ruined more clothing and made more damage on my hands. I found be a tree to be much better, but it will have a rough transition phase to it.

I just thought of another thing you can try which is Susan Garrett's "Its Yer Choice" game. It is fabulous for impulse control which should help a lot with crazy attention seeking like mouthing, nipping and jumping. You teach it first and then have your 9 year old raise it to higher levels. I do this game with all of our dogs. I can put pieces of cheese, chicken and popcorn on my knees or my open fingers and have the dog sitting right in front and in reach but they will wait for extended amounts of time and lots of distractions before they earn their reward, which is accomplished by offering eye contact and maintaining it before I release.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is all good stuff. I will try all the new stuff recommended and see what works. I do have him on a crate schedule. If one thing I recall from when my 3 kids were babies was nap time was crucial! The thing with my son is he doesnt tease or taunt him and he’d love to play if he wouldn’t bite him to death. My son enters the room teddy b-lines to him and bites legs or feet. He sits down to relax will jump and try to get at him. Teddy is not a cuddly/kisses dog. So it’s biting and crazy when he’s out of crate. It’s been a tough day today..well most days. Cause nothing seems to b helping. But we keep trying.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
So here's the thing with anything you try: Puppy will likely ratchet up the intensity of his behaviour until eventually there's a final big burst and he gives up. If you cease your efforts when he's at the big-burst phase or earlier, you've now taught him to jump straight to that intensity to get what he wants.

Kinda like only giving a toddler a cookie if they cry for it.

So today, play "boring statue" and do it until puppy stops biting then reward with attention. Let us know how long it takes until he gives up! Some puppies are much more persistent than others.

(And the cuddly thing? Yeah, that often doesn't happen right away. Patience patience. :) Peggy took months.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tysm! This really is everything to me right now. 🙌🏻 I’m so thankful for all your words and time responding.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I teach puppies to control their biting by tapping them on the bridge of the nose and saying "no bites". Note that I said "tapping", not "hitting". Use just enough force for it to be unpleasant but not painful.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Thank you for responding. I do all these things. That’s just it..nothing is working. It’s VERY frustrating! 😔
This was my boy as a baby, he was the most mouthy puppy I ever owned. He would bounce and leap and catch your clothes or your skin in his shark teeth. Keep playing and introducing him to new things and keep redirecting the biting. One day mine started to lose his baby teeth, lots in just a few days. He was not as mouthy after that, at least it wasn't as painful and he learned to have a gentle mouth. It will get better. He he gets over aroused in play it makes it worse and at those times it may be time for a nap and play stops.

·
Premium Member
22,759 Posts
The shark teeth are very sharp for the purpose of helping puppies learn the importance of inhibited bites. They learn this from each other before they leave for their new homes as long as a pup isn't chomping on people with intention it will all pass once they shed their deciduous teeth. Adult teeth aren't very sharp by comparison.

BTW it can be useful to teach puppies to be gentle mouthers who accept having people's hands in and near their mouths to be able to give pills and to take forbidden objects away from someone who is being a mischievous dog.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
BTW it can be useful to teach puppies to be gentle mouthers who accept having people's hands in and near their mouths to be able to give pills and to take forbidden objects away from someone who is being a mischievous dog.
Big yes to this. I want my puppy to view human hands as wonderful, gentle things. That's why I don't believe you should ever deliver punishment with your hands. In fact, this age is a good time to begin pairing things like collar grabs with the delivery of a delicious treat. Teach puppy to think: "Nice things happen when a human hand is headed my way!!"

When yours is the only dog not dodging his human's hand after a boisterous doggy play session, you'll be glad you put in the effort. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a spray called bitter apple spray and you can spray it on just about anything you don’t want your pup to mouth. I haven’t used it in a very long time so I’d read the ingredients or bottle to make sure it’s skin safe. But it’s easily accessible at most pet stores.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well I’m giving 110%!! I’ve been putting Teddy in his crate when he bites hard and walking away for 30 seconds and coming back having him sit before I let him out. Seems to settle him. I also had a play date with neighbor dog and they did great! Couple times other dog yelped and stop playing with Teddy and Teddy was like OH! Such wonderful ideas. This forum is a live saver!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have that spray that I keep on my husbands recliner and so far it has worked. 👍🏻 He also hate apple cider vinegar but I doubt my husband wants his chair with that scent 😂

·
Registered
201 Posts
A big thing I teach my kids is not to run around puppy. If puppy mouths I tell them to stop and say no in stern voice. Not sure the age of your son but mine are 3, 4, and 5. The 3 year old doesn’t quite know stern but still says no. When they were younger I’d have them squeak loudly when it happened. I’ve noticed it helps when the no or squeak comes from the children and the squeak notified the dog that it hurts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I Start with me with the squeaks. I’ll play with pup and when they bit I’ll squeak then say no and usually it stops them, then I’ll redirect.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Well I’m giving 110%!! I’ve been putting Teddy in his crate when he bites hard and walking away for 30 seconds and coming back having him sit before I let him out. Seems to settle him. I also had a play date with neighbor dog and they did great! Couple times other dog yelped and stop playing with Teddy and Teddy was like OH! Such wonderful ideas. This forum is a live saver!!
Great news! Just be careful about using the crate for punishment. You should just remove yourself, if possible. You want the crate to remain 100% positive for puppy.

·
Premium Member
22,759 Posts
Peggy is right about not having the crate time out turn into punishment zone. Also you can use tabasco sause along with/or in place of bitter apple and apple cider vinegar. Just be careful not to touch your face if you have it on hands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have thought about that. So far it seems to b working. He loves his crate. But there’s no other way to remove ourselves cause our house is open concept..so we’d have to walk a distance and he thinks it’s play. It’s more of a time out..like a break. When he comes out he sits and gets love. So, I hope it continues to b a good thing. 👍🏻🙂

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok Ill confess I only read Catherines posts and I apologize for probably spelling your name wrong and this is a fact,, we are country people and our young poodle was a super bity jerk. At one point I could not stand it any more and grabbed a stick which I then whacked her on the butt with. This turned into a reconditioning in that when I had a stick in my hand she would try to grab IT instead of biting us. Probably not the recommended means to an end but it flat out worked. Do what works that you can live with.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts