Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am curious if anyone experienced something similar to us right now. We have a vet appointment for the second sets of shots next week that I'm going to bring it up then but I'm nervous our puppy has Cushing disease and being so young. He has accidents in the house everyday despite knowing he shouldn't be peeing inside and us taking him out all the time. Also, my partner thinks he looks a little bit bloated but we got his half brother back in March and he sort of looked the same with the stomach. Anyway, the constant drinking, peeing, an fur I find all over is worrying me mixed with the itching. He also has a "nervous tick" by his legs twitching if I rub his stomach or he's cleaning his arms. Just so opposite his half brother, it's crazy. Any ideas to bring up to the vet or experiences would be great!

thanks!

Super Moderator
Is this a Standard Poodle?
What is his exact age?
Did he live or spend a lot of time outdoors in a kennel or a farm before you got him?
Were/are there any signs of skin problems from mites, mange, scabs, like these photos?
Did he have these symptoms when you got him?
Can you show us photos of the parts of his body experiencing hair loss?
Is your other poodle beginning to show signs of itching or hair loss?

Registered
I can鈥檛 address the other issues. That鈥檚 something your vet will help you with. Vita above has so,e good suggestions.

I鈥檓 sorry to be blunt, but peeing in the house is all your fault for not taking the puppy out often enough at the right time. I hope you aren鈥檛 disciplining the little puppy. Puppies don鈥檛 have control over their bladders until they are at least 6 months old or older. They may understand where to pee, but they can鈥檛 hold their bladder. Similar to infants - human babies wear diapers for several years until they have enough control to hold things in before they sit on the toilet.

You need to go back to the beginning and start toilet training again. Often enough so there are no accidents in the house. Watch how you time feeding and play time- no play time until after potty. Don鈥檛 withhold water from your puppy but take them out to potty after drinking.

It鈥檚 critical that your dog is always going potty on the surfaces that you want him to such as grass. Right now your dog has learned indoor surfaces are okay.

You also need to be sure all accidents are cleaned up with an enzyme cleaner to remove all traces of odor or else your dogs will continue to go there to potty because the smell tells them it鈥檚 okay.

As for the tummy, he鈥檚 a baby... just like baby children have tummies. Perfectly normal. Ask your vet to show you how to feel the ribs to determine if your dog is at a healthy weight.

Super Moderator
Puppies do have adorable little pot bellies, but he could also have a belly full of worms. Another sign of parasites is hair loss. Has he been dewormed yet?

These could also be symptoms of a food or environmental allergy.

Since puppy health is so fragile in these early months, I would make sure your vet knows you have concerns to discuss. Sometimes they don't set aside much time for vaccination appointments.

P.S. Lots of dogs do a little twitch or kick when you scratch "the good spot." :) This effect can be intensified by itchy skin.

Registered
JMM90, let us know what your vet said about the itching. I agree with Skylar that you may not be taking the puppy out often enough. If you cannot do that, then you need to make a place for the puppy where he has an approved pee spot. It should be away from his crate and his food and water bowls. Skylar and Peggy have covered all other items quite well, so I won't comment on them.

Let us know how things turn out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I can assure you he's being properly potty trained. And to be honest, I find it quite accusatory and plain rude of you to even suggest that I don't know what I'm doing. I did not ask that question in my post nor was looking for any input on that subject. It was mere side note to that fact I believe my dog has Cushing.

I can鈥檛 address the other issues. That鈥檚 something your vet will help you with. Vita above has so,e good suggestions.

I鈥檓 sorry to be blunt, but peeing in the house is all your fault for not taking the puppy out often enough at the right time. I hope you aren鈥檛 disciplining the little puppy. Puppies don鈥檛 have control over their bladders until they are at least 6 months old or older. They may understand where to pee, but they can鈥檛 hold their bladder. Similar to infants - human babies wear diapers for several years until they have enough control to hold things in before they sit on the toilet.

You need to go back to the beginning and start toilet training again. Often enough so there are no accidents in the house. Watch how you time feeding and play time- no play time until after potty. Don鈥檛 withhold water from your puppy but take them out to potty after drinking.

It鈥檚 critical that your dog is always going potty on the surfaces that you want him to such as grass. Right now your dog has learned indoor surfaces are okay.

You also need to be sure all accidents are cleaned up with an enzyme cleaner to remove all traces of odor or else your dogs will continue to go there to potty because the smell tells them it鈥檚 okay.

As for the tummy, he鈥檚 a baby... just like baby children have tummies. Perfectly normal. Ask your vet to show you how to feel the ribs to determine if your dog is at a healthy weight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a Standard Poodle?
What is his exact age?
Did he live or spend a lot of time outdoors in a kennel or a farm before you got him?
Were/are there any signs of skin problems from mites, mange, scabs, like these photos?
Did he have these symptoms when you got him?
Can you show us photos of the parts of his body experiencing hair loss?
Is your other poodle beginning to show signs of itching or hair loss?
Thanks for the reply back! He's a 13 week old standard and he lived indoors until he was 8 weeks when we picked him up. The half brother is 8 months old, dads side, and he's very healthy and could not be more opposite- no itching or hair loss.

I noticed it about two weeks ago but he could have always had it since we got him, I just noticed it getting bad recently. No baldness or patches but I find hair all over the place in small chunks. He primarily itches his armpits for several long minutes numerous times a day and night. He doesn't have mites or rashes or anything like that & we live in a small city so we don't have a backyard.

Super Moderator
Mites are not visible to the eye and can be picked up in a variety of places, and there are different types of mites. See this link. I hope it's a parasite infection, since these are treatable, rather than an internal medical problem. I'm glad you have a vet appointment next week, please let us know the results.

Registered
My suggestion would be to call the vet and get your pup in sooner. Explain that you are concerned and feel this is high priority. Sometimes vets will push shots when a dog isn't feeling well, but it's my understanding that the health condition of the dog should be addressed first. You might also contact the breeder, explain what you are seeing, and ask if there are reported health problems from other dogs in the litter.

Premium Member
If you are taking your puppy out regularly, they need potty breaks aftershave meals, after play when they wake etc, then your puppy might have a urinary tract infection, males generally don't get them when they do it is generally a bacterial infection.

Registered
I don't have any fresh ideas, but I am glad to hear you have a vet appointment coming up. Poor guy sounds miserable!

Registered
It could simply be an allergy, either to food , environment or whatever is being used to bathe him. What kind of shampoo are you using on him? Also how often is he bathed, to often could dry his skin out. As far as the peeing, perhaps he just has a bit too much freedom right now and maybe tethering him to you could help. And since he is itching so badly he is probably more concerned with that then going potty. I think but no expert that cushings wouldn't develop is such a young dog.

Registered
I鈥檓 sorry your little pup is feeling so bad. Once everything else is ruled out, the itching could be caused by environmental allergies or food allergies. Your vet will offer you hypoallergenic food if he thinks it鈥檚 a possible cause.

I hope your puppy gets relief soon.

Super Moderator
Most of us on this forum are not veterinarians, and none of us have seen your puppy in person. This sounds like a situation where you would want to get the pup into a vet sooner rather than later. The itching could be fleas or mange, both of which can spread to your other dog and also you. The bloated belly could be worms, which can also spread to other household members. It could also be normal puppy potbelly; hard to say without seeing the puppy. I think Cushings is unlikely; it normally occurs in older animals.

My boy Galen drank constantly and has been difficult to housebreak. it was quite the shock after my previous pair, who had almost no accidents. There was nothing wrong with him other than being a puppy; he just had almost zero bladder control. Even tethering didn't help; he would start peeing right at my feet with no prior sign of restlessness. It wasn't until he hit six months that he started getting any kind of self control. He still has the occasional incident at nine months when we let him have too much freedom and don't get him out soon enough.

Premium Member
If your puppy has an illness of significance (whether Cushings, parasites or other) I would get him looked at and deal with that asap at a separate time than giving him the next round of immunizations. Some immunizations themselves can cause reactions that my be significant. I wouldn't pile dealing with all of that into one visit and a bunch of therapeutic events at the same time.

As to being offended by advise that you don't like that is one of the outcomes of asking for advise in a setting like this. As cowpony said we aren't ourselves vets and we haven't seen your puppy or how you are handling things like housebreaking but we do think and can offer ideas that result from that thinking. I do agree with Skylar that because this pup has had many opportunities to rehearse incorrect behaviors you may seriously need to restart house training to get this pup back on the right track once other issues are cleared up. If you dislike my advise about house breaking here you are free to disagree but I hope you will listen to me about separating immunizations from the other concerns you elaborated here.

Registered
I think I would do as Mfmst has said, if your vet says allergies find a dermatologist to get to the root of the issue. In the end it will save $$ and grief. I hope you will let us know as we all learn some from one another.

Registered
I have a mini who has allergies and when she was eating certain foods she was very itchy, and I would find clumps of hair from her ears all over
She also drinks a TON and I鈥檝e had the vet check for utis, but she just drinks a lot and pees a lot! Hopefully that is all it is for your pup

Registered
Hello, I am curious if anyone experienced something similar to us right now. We have a vet appointment for the second sets of shots next week that I'm going to bring it up then but I'm nervous our puppy has Cushing disease and being so young. He has accidents in the house everyday despite knowing he shouldn't be peeing inside and us taking him out all the time. Also, my partner thinks he looks a little bit bloated but we got his half brother back in March and he sort of looked the same with the stomach. Anyway, the constant drinking, peeing, an fur I find all over is worrying me mixed with the itching. He also has a "nervous tick" by his legs twitching if I rub his stomach or he's cleaning his arms. Just so opposite his half brother, it's crazy. Any ideas to bring up to the vet or experiences would be great!

thanks!
I would not vaccinate unless he is healthy. Read the label on the vaccine. It says intended for healthy dogs. You could make things worse by giving vaccines if the dog is not healthy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts