Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
14,248 Posts
If she was acting abnormally shut down, it’s possible she’s in her first fear period. I would keep things mellow and positive, then return for a happy visit in a couple of weeks. Have the staff start by tossing treats without making eye contact. If she’s curious and relaxed, woo hoo! If not, I would seek the help of a certified trainer to have her assessed and get the socialization process back on track.

Have you read Before and After Getting Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar? If not, I’d recommend ordering it today from Amazon or reading the free PDFs online.

Puppies have a small early socialization window, during which it’s very important they’re enjoying positive experiences with a wide variety of people, places, sights, sounds, and smells. Yes, the vet’s office can be spooky (especially if they did invasive tests) so that’s why it’s important you take the steps to introduce your puppy to these situations in a positive way. By now, by Dr. Dunbar’s well-informed standards, your puppy should have met 100 people, which is extra tricky during covid lockdowns.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.