Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

We have a neutered male 3 1/2 year old toy poodle looking to add toy poodle #2 to the mix. I was originally considering another male but now I am having second thoughts. Poodle 2 would be neutered when the time is right. Would two males get along without fights or a male and female would work better. I hear a female would be the top dog and in charge.

Another question I have is "marking". Do two or more poodles in the same house go through a marking stage? I hear a female can also mark and not just the males.

My Toy Poodle is friendly with other dogs and totally housebroken to go outside no indoor pads.

Thank you all for any feedback!

:angel:

·
Premium Member
23,200 Posts
We have two intact male dogs, a 4 year old standard poodle and a soon to be 11 year old GSD. Neither of them would dream of marking in the house. My soon to be 11 year old female standard is definitely the ruler of the roost. She is a mischief making pot stirrer who tends to create some level of disharmony between the males. I tend to think they would be fine together in her absence. She is a very forward and high drive girl and I would never have another female in the house with her. I know I haven't responded directly to your questions but hope that at some level I have addressed your concerns.

Reactions: RangerMom

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
With past dogs I have had, two males are fine, in fact right now I have 3 and they are all neutered, no marking and I have one female. The female is the alpha dog. I would not necessarily have two females, though I have without problem. If you have an alpha female I wouldn't bring a 2nd female in. However you say you have a male so in my opinion it would not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think it would depend on the personality of your current dog and future pup. If he is pretty laid back, then I would get another dog with a similar personality.

Right now I have submissive male and a submissive female (rescued at 6) together. I watched how she interacted with other pets before I brought her home. Jasper is still "top dog" in Miracle's eyes, but neither dog shows aggression regarding toys or food when they are around each other. It's one thing for dogs to get along outside of the home and another thing to share the same space, so it's important to really know your dog's personality.

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
A dear friend of mine had a male and female toy, they got along beautifully. The female was the boss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great question. I too have a male toy, but unlike you hes a dominate male. was a show dog used for breeding also. Which made me have this debate, i read many posts on here and internet. So i choose to get a female, his sister passed this spring and they both gave each other space. Ill be getting mine winter or early spring. Hopefully it all works out for the both..:argh:

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I have a male and female, both fixed. They get along very well. I think a male and a female can create a special bond.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I really like having a female and a male. In my case, the male is the dominant one. I would be afraid of having two male toys because of the risk of marking, but I know several people here have two boys and it works, including Poodlebeguiled.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I have a 6 yr old submissive male and a 7 yr old poodle mix female. I got her about 6 months ago, and have had the boy since he was 12 wks old.
They get along beautifully. Although the boy is really submissive, he has taken the lead and set boundaries for her, and she is completely submissive.

They don’t fight over toys, food, me or my lap, or anything. It is a very peaceful home. The boy is very laid back and calm, and she used to be super super high energy. Now she is much like him, although her energy that she displays now is adorable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I have had one mail poodle and 8 females and as many females as 4 at one time. I have never had a problem with any of my females fighting or not getting along. I currently have 3 all females all are fixed. It all depends on what you allow in the beginning. I always have a pecking order, first dog here goes first on everything and everyone knows their turn. One is 16, one is 7 and the other 5. The 7 year old was the last one I got. My male had feminine tendencies, friends always said,

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
We have a male and a female standard. The female is almost two years older--the male was 9 weeks old when we brought him home, so he grew up with her. They get along very well, play-growl and body slam each other but seldom actually disagree. Jazz is the more dominant one, and Blue is still, at five years old, the bratty little brother who annoys the bejeezus out of her at times.

In the past, we had two intact males, a lab and a pointer mix, and I can't recall a single growl exchanged between them. On the other hand, we had two female corgis who began to fight when the younger one matured--not occasional disagreements, but bloody, ear-ripping, tooth-chipping fights that required my husband and me each to grab hind legs and wheelbarrow them apart. Individually they were sweet, well-behaved dogs that never, ever growled at other dogs, but we were afraid they'd seriously injure or kill each other if we weren't there to intervene, so eventually we rehomed the younger dog. (Her new family sent me a picture of her "nursing" a litter of kittens.) I'd never have two females again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've always had multiple female dogs without any problem. We had two female and one male standard together for almost ten years. The poodles were extremely tightly bonded, but other dogs have been somewhat to quite a bit less close, otherwise with no problems. I think that individual personality is probably more important than gender.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I think that individual personality is probably more important than gender.
That's probably true, but I remember seeing somewhere a breakdown of dog fights by gender. I can't remember which pairing was least likely to fight, but as I recall, 67% of the total occurred between two females. The other 33% was divided in some way between male/male and female/male pairs. (But I'm old, so it's entirely possible I haven't remembered correctly. :biggrin1:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts